Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times

Advertisements

If your dog has been diagnosed with CCD (doggy dementia), I am interested to know if you've tried either Anipryl or Selegiline. Did you see a difference in behavior with either, and, if so, how many months was your dog on the med before the change occurred?

Muchas gracias from Barnaby-land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
We tried Anipryl on Casper. Maybe he was too far gone when we started; but I saw no difference whatsoever.

I was kind of led to believe that his housetraining, etc could come back; but it certainly was no miracle drug for us.

I hope you have better luck.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Awwww, poor Barnaby.

Hope someone can help.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 AM

288 posts, read 692,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
If your dog has been diagnosed with CCD (doggy dementia), I am interested to know if you've tried either Anipryl or Selegiline. Did you see a difference in behavior with either, and, if so, how many months was your dog on the med before the change occurred? Muchas gracias from Barnaby-land.
just wanted to share my experience with you..

My 14 yr old JRT was diagnosed with Dementia after he began to display abnormal behaviour; revserved sleep/wake pattern, constantly wanting to go out to potty and the most marked (and upsetting) behaviour was he used to get stuck in corners, he would stand facing a wall and not know how to turn around.

However, I decided to do some further research myself, he was actually misdiagnosed and later was re-diagnosed with Cushings Disease and not Dementia afterall. We were able to treat the Cushings and his behaviour did improve, just wanted to share this with you just in case this was the same for your doggie.

Hope your doggie is doing well.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM

299 posts, read 1,008,830 times
My beagle was diagnosed with CCD back in 2005. We did try Anipryl with her, but she declined very quickly, and we had to put her down only a few weeks after diagnosis.

So, we didn't see anything helpful from the medication for the time our beag was on it.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
I may be contridicted on this but I have a hard time with CCD being classified as a disease. Its symptoms are just too vague and I've yet to speak to anyone or hear of anyone that feels that there was an appreciable difference in behavour after beginning treatment with the drugs they are now pushing for it.

To the OP: I know its very difficult to see your much loved pet decline. Yes - I've been there and know the pain. In this case, I would see another vet for a second opinion just to confirm the first vet's findings. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We have had two dogs diagnosed with CCD, but they also were too far gone for meds. For both, it was almost like it happened overnight. If Barnaby has been diagnosed with CCD, I hope that the meds work. I never thought about Cushings Disease and it was never mentioned by the vet.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Having known 2 people with alzheimer's both treated with medication that had no effect that I could see, I would be very surprised if they had an effective treatment for canine dementia. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Although the Anipryl had no effect; Casper still lived two years or more after he was diagnosed with having dementia.

Probably, he could have lived another year or so until I decided to release us all from our misery.

Hopefully, your dog will not decline as fast. They told me Maltese could live a long time; they didn't tell me what those last years would necessarily be like

Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times
thank you, everyone, for your responses. barnaby has been diagnosed and confirmed. he originally started showing a couple of symptoms last year and in the last month several more have popped up in quick succession.

he's actually doing great, all things considered, and still has a very good quality of life. he is simply even more "quirky" than usual. he still recognizes all loved ones and wants to walk, play, and eat, and is retaining his housebreaking.

he is experiencing sundowning, however, and disrupted sleeping at night. that is my main concern because when barn don't sleep, the barn mom don't sleep.

(also, i occasionally have to fish him out of a room where he is baby-barking for me... even though he walked in by himself and is looking right at the door. barn, hello, i didn't put you in there!)

but he's just started melatonin for that, so we shall see what happens with the use of that supplement.

as for anipryl... taking into account what you've told me here and what i've heard offline, seems like it either works like a dream or doesn't do anything at all. no middle line. and i found out the dog needs to be on it for three months before you can expect to see results, if there are going to be any.

i have not yet heard anything about selegiline, the generic. i'd really like to know about this one as well. unfortunately, i've learned the hard way not all generics are as good as the brand names, and i don't know if this would be a case where i would want to take that chance.

again, thank you everyone.

(p.s. i am very sorry to everyone who currently has or has had a dog with CCD. right now, it's not a heartbreaker for us b/c barnaby is still "present," but i can see how in the future this is going to be a real *****. i am sorry that you are experiencing or have experienced this.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs