Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,147,247 times

Advertisements

We are looking to adopting another Bichon and are looking all over the country at different groups. Has anybody used the transportation people who deliver dogs all over the country? We are hesitant to air ship one.
Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,226,705 times
You might check out these folks. Not sure where all he goes but he is on Facebook and goes all over the south to the NE

Rescue Road Trips | Facebook

Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,444,613 times
Never heard of the rescue. Used LCH for one transport. Mixed feelings...........

First, I've always done transport myself by car from my door to the adopters. I've been all up and down the entire east coast and the mid west. I'll be the first to admit I'm on the neurotic side when it comes to transporting them.

That said, there's nothing wrong with LCH. When I got there to drop the dogs off that were leaving (one mine, another for the Humane Society) no one was there. I called and was told to put them in a crate in the barn. It was cold and they'd have to spend the night in a barn in a strange place over night. They kept blankets and stuff in there for them and it's not like it was freezing cold, but it was in the 40s. Dogs definitely have MUCH worse.

But this one had been adopted, the adoption failed and he came back to me and was very nervous. He'd been through an awful lot and was scared so I felt extra bad. But they're definitely safe, kept confined in the crates.

The other thing is they use horse trailers to transport. In nice weather it's not too bad, but I wonder if it's comfy for them in the winter or summer.

All that said, the transport left on time, arrived on time, and other than a billing glitch everything went smoothly. I've never heard a single bad thing about them. They seem very responsible. I think it's more my issues than a problem with them.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,337,621 times
Good Luck They Never answered me when I contacted the TWICE!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,780 times
Pilots N Paws*|*Saving the Lives of Innocent Animals - it is a volunteer, not-for-profit program (obviously a donation would be in order); maybe that will help. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,049,564 times
also truck-n-paws or something similar .... over the road truck drivers that can and do transport..... you can google it....

like pilots-n-paws, this is a message board sort of operation where you can post what you need to get to where and interested truckers along that route will reply to you to get it set up......

i know paid transports serve a purpose, but i just have really mixed feelings about them .... LCH uses horse trailers.... the guy that comes through st. louis on thursday afternoons uses a car trailer.... his IS heated and air conditioned, but still, the dogs are crated in this trailer in the dark for however many days it takes to get to their handoff.... even if there are 1 or 2 employees along for the trip, there is no way 2 or 3 people can adequately walk and/or exercise that many dogs with any sort of regularity.....

Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 PM

137 posts, read 413,024 times
I adopted my current bichon from Small paws. I was hesitant to have him flown in ( he came from Iowa, so the poor guy took 2 planes- one to Chicago, then on to Atlanta!) he was in fine condition when he arrived. Small Paws has a great reputation. Kramer has settled in nicely.

if I were you tho, I would try and find a way he/she could be driven. I think its less stress on the dog.

also,depending where you are located, there may be a small paws dog already being fostered close to you

Old 04-22-2011, 03:26 PM

48 posts, read 103,494 times
Katie 1:
RE:"Good Luck They Never answered me when I contacted the TWICE!"

Katie- Please, which one never answered you- small paws or second chance highway?
Just curious-thanks!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,444,613 times
Just wanted to add, before agreeing to allow ANY transport company / person to transport your new pet, please start asking around to every rescue person you can think of or find. There are a couple that have been fairly well known in the southeast that had a good reputation at one time. However, over time they've become really bad. One was arrested not too long ago when she smashed way too many dogs into her van and had too many dogs that didn't know each other smashed into kennels and three got into a fight. Two were seriously injured and one had to be euthanized because his injuries were so severe. Before that transport she'd 'lost' one dog, though I think it probably died mid-transport and she threw the body on the side of the road, and she was taking dogs - some geriatric and some very young puppies - on transports that were supposed to be 18 to 24 hours and would disappear for 4 or 5 days at a time, with the dogs locked in kennels the entire time. The other did a good transport but the second one broke down on the way to the rescue it was going to and they were refusing to let anyone take the dogs off their bus unless they were given $1000 for their bus repairs.

There are some great transports out there. Sadly, there are some really horrendous ones too.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,049,564 times
oh lordy ... i remember when that last story was happening.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs