Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

our min schnauzer (not so min really) is afraid of thunder/hail storms--the thunder and lightening--
we have lot of those in our area of TX
she won't go outside to do her business if she hears the slighest hint of thunder coming

If we are in bed when they come she will hide under the covers
during the day/night if we are up she will cower by us
she will even still trimble when we pick her up

I read about the Thundershirts and the Anxiety wraps--
anyone notice any difference between the two?
have you actually bought/used both--and have preferance

I don't want to medicate her because sometimes the storms are short lived...

So any suggestions about practical application would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
I would love to know about these as well. We too have a mini schnauzer that absolutely freaks when we have a thunderstorm. I saw an add for these in Skymall last week while traveling and wondered about them.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Yes...it works! It can get up to a point where you may not need it anymore for your pup. Another mini schnauzer owner here....love!
I got it straight from: Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment
If it doesn't work, just send it back.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 AM

the difference between the two brands seems to be that the Thundershirt has no straps that go around the back legs--
it uses velcro to tighten the wrapper around the chest and over the stomach and back--but the legs are free

the other one has front and rear leg openings that you help the dog step into and then pull the shirt/wrapper part over the head and tighten it with velcro

I don't know if having the rear straps would help/hinder more than the other without them
or if it would just depend on the dog

my dog will wear her walking harness but if I forget to take it off when we get hom and just unclick the leash she will eventually chew the harness off--whether it is lose or not--
but I think she will tolerate the wrapped feeling better--besides when she is scared she never ventures far from me anyway

Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
How interesting--it reminds me of Temple Grandin's "squeeze box" method: confinement in a tight little space cured her of anxiety attacks, and she got the idea from observing cattle being calmed down by being confined. I wish I'd known that earlier--it could have helped our First Dog who was so worried about fireworks and thunder. She used to hide in the depths of the walk-in closet, sort of creating her own squeeze box. Present Dog just looks to us and asks, "Is it okay?" and when we don't look worried, she's not worried, either!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM

just to follow up--
I was in storelast week where I buy the hard to find dog food we feed our dog and the owner was talking to another customer about the anxiety shirts--we were supposed to have some more bad weather

I bought one for my dog--probably got a sz too small but hers fits--she is kind of big min-schnauzer--got a SMALL size
and started that day to put it on her--
put it on and gave her treat--took her outside before the storm got here and played with her
then came back in and had her wear it
there was some thunder--faint but noticeble--when we were outside initially--
normally she would be inside in heart-beat--but she stayed out w/o going to the door

she was scared when the storm came through

the second time she wore it was several days later--put it on her nearer to arrival--gave her treat--played in the house--
when the storm hit--she was pretty scared--we had to go into a big dark closet and sit for while
then she came out and laid on floor by my chair

tonight storm coming through again--put it on her well before it got here--she ate supper wearing it--
was lying on the floor in my computer room--
heard thunder clap just now and got up--adgitated--but only for little while--is back to lying on floor again

I think it does make her feel less nervous--she is not shaking like she usually does when it thunders--rain is not here or at least it is not that noisy--can't really hear it on roof--
so am glad I got it--
it does make her hot though--so don't know if wearing it in summer storms is going to work that great--
adreneline makes their body heat go up

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Sadly the Thundershirt has not helped my poor Frannie. I've had it for a month now and used it 8 or 10 times and I'm not seeing any improvement in her level of terror as we experienced several severe storms.

I could sent it back but I'll just give it to my humane society for their use.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Remember When YOU pick Dogs up or Reasure them THEY Think its OK to be Scared!! Ignore Ignore Ignore!!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Yesterday we were watching some type of dog diving competition and a trainer said to rub a fabric softener sheet on the dog to help with anxiety. Sounds strange, but I plan to try it out. He didn't say what it was about the sheet that would help, but maybe if it has a fragrance that it would almost be like aromatherapy?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Remember When YOU pick Dogs up or Reasure them THEY Think its OK to be Scared!! Ignore Ignore Ignore!!
No - I don't agree that ignoring a dog when its feeling insecure would be the best way to manage the situation. It would not make it worse but also doesn't do anything to help correct the behavour. Redirection (as much as possible) can help to calm a frightened dog. I've also found from personal experience that putting a leash on your pup during the storm can also help calm them. For some reason having that leash connection sooths them without reinforcing the negative behavour. For redirection, I use play and squeak toys (for prey driven dogs) or do a training session working or reinforcing basic commands with food driven dogs. No - nothing works 100% of the time with 100% of dogs but either method can lessen anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs