U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 AM

166 posts, read 364,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes, I work from home so she would never be alone for long. I also have a dog door they come in and out of when needed and many a chase has taken place in and out that door.

Because it's a ranch dog I was having reservations because the family across the street have a border collie and instead of walking it they'd dump it in the backyard and the thing would run back and forth along the fence line barking non-stop. This dog is primarily for companionship to the other dog. I had a min pin (me plus minitures - big mistake), one of my fosters I adopted and he had such a high prey drive I had to give up fostering and rehome him in a home with no other dogs after working with him for about 2 years. I want to avoid going through that again. So, I'm going to do a two week foster-to-adopt to make sure everyone is comfortable with one another and I am able to meet her needs first and foremost.

Thanks everyone for your input and if anyone has anything else to add, please feel free the more insight the better.
Thank you for being a caring and careful dog owner!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 11:42 AM

4,199 posts, read 9,865,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes, I work from home so she would never be alone for long. I also have a dog door they come in and out of when needed and many a chase has taken place in and out that door.

Because it's a ranch dog I was having reservations because the family across the street have a border collie and instead of walking it they'd dump it in the backyard and the thing would run back and forth along the fence line barking non-stop. This dog is primarily for companionship to the other dog. I had a min pin (me plus minitures - big mistake), one of my fosters I adopted and he had such a high prey drive I had to give up fostering and rehome him in a home with no other dogs after working with him for about 2 years. I want to avoid going through that again. So, I'm going to do a two week foster-to-adopt to make sure everyone is comfortable with one another and I am able to meet her needs first and foremost.

Thanks everyone for your input and if anyone has anything else to add, please feel free the more insight the better.
That's really sad about the Border Collie but not at all surprising; even on farms, I have seen them do some very strange things when bored. Like Heelers, they need a job, but in the case of a BC, they really need a job.

I would not have any reservations, especially if you work from home. If you were going to be like your neighbors, and leave the pup by herself for long stretches, or not have the desire or energy to deal with a high-energy breed, then I would tell you to reconsider. However, I don't see that happening in your case.

The only thing that I *think* you might expect is that this pup will be underfoot a lot. Or hangin' with your other dog a lot, almost to the point of not being able to separate her from another creature. I think that, especially in the case of herding dogs, they really like being with someone or another dog all of the time, unless they are pure work dogs. At least, that has been my experience with them in general; there are always exceptions. She might surprise you and be really aloof.

Even if you are working at home, I would make a schedule of time outs, exercise and potty times to acclimate this little girl to your home. I think a schedule really makes transitions to new homes easier, and makes puppies (especially)feel more secure. I would definitely schedule some kind of "game" every day in which you mentally stimulate her, in addition to regular exercise and training.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 30,058,984 times
Oh we always have game time even in the house, I even move the furniture and whip tennis ball across the room in the winter. They also like chasing bubbles from bubble soap around the house. I was a rescue foster for years and miss it, but because of the foster min-pin I adopted I had to stop because his prey drive was so high he killed two of my foster puppies. While the rescue I work with would have taken him back they would have euthanized him and I had a lot of mixed emotions about it. So, I stopped fostering and spent almost two years working extensively with this dog and found a min-pin rescue who is willing to take him into their program and rehome him in a house with no other dogs, even though he knows his place with my existing dogs he doesn't play nice with them. But I felt he had enough redeeming qualities to keep him alive. So, I'm doing some extensive homework on this particular dog and breed so I will never have to go through that again.

While I have a nice large fenced in yard, we do walks twice a day - mostly for the benefit of my rear end.

My other dog, the one for companionship is part shar-pei and they say part border collie but I don't see it, but she does however have strong herding instincts and loves the companionship of other dogs and was the sole reason I started fostering to begin with. She would lay on her back on the floor and let all those pups and dogs crawl all over her - she was in heaven. She was originally a companion dog for my Shar-pei who passed away last year and when they were little I took them in at the same time to get them fixed and the vet said when he checked on them in the middle of the night they were crying for each other and had to put them together in the same caged area overnight.

If after discussing this particular dog with her foster parents, if I don't think I can meet her needs I will not adopt her - no matter how cute she is.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,094,262 times
Haven't been on for awhile so am just reading this now. I had Jazz for 14.5yrs she was a cattle dog x border collie and yes I live in a condo so was told it would not work out.When I adopted her I felt an owners time is much more important than a big yard so talked the rescue group into letting me have her. I still feel that way.

I have no regrets as she was the best dog I have ever owned. She was my once in a life time dog as there was such a bond with her. Did she miss not living on a ranch? I doubt it if you look in my photo albums you can see just how happy she looks as she had a great life. We had plenty of off leash exercise and adventures and she did agility and had her buddy Dash ( my Border colliesX springer mix). She like LTTP's Bailey saw EVERYTHING..nothing got past her and yes she alerted me when she thought I should know about something . She barked alot when she played and people would tease her with a toy but in reality she was not a big barker. My neighbors claimed they never heard her or Dash.

As much as I loved her she was never an easy dog so I put a ton of time into her and found metal stimulation to be just as important as physical exercise.On walks I always did obedience drills so she and Dash had to pay attention and do sits and downs etc as we walked. Jazz worked for everything, a toss of her ball meant a trick first, I think we both had alot of fun.

I read a discription about the personality of Cattle dogs in a dog magazine and it was Jazz to a Tee. She was bossy, stubborn and everything belonged to her..picture the seagulls in Little Nemo screaming "MINE MINE MINE" that was Jazz. While she shared fine with people not so with other dogs and the day we adopted Dash she did fine until we got home then she raced inside gathered all her toys and stood over them threatening him...oh yea he got the message and because he was a passive boy they did fine together. She has issues with strange dogs especially females but once she got to know them she was fine AS LONG as they played HER games by HER rules! She was 100% the Queen.
I workd hard to make sure she did have an inhibited bite and so when she did have issues with another dog I knew she would not hurt the dog . She had a few bites on her but never left a mark on another dog or a human which amazed people as she and I played very rough. People would see us and be worried that she was hurting me but she had perfect control of her bite.Made me trust her with kids too as she loved my 3 nephews but would drag the youngest one around by grabbing him or his clothing and he would screech and she get even rougher with him but once again she never left a mark on him and she would protect him big time. I know she felt she raised that boy!

Funny thing is as tuff as she was she was a drama queen and a very soft dog. Just with the tone of my voice I could make her crumble, one stern " BAD DOG" from me and she would be sucking up to me trying to get back in my good graces. While she loved people and loved meeting them she was 100% mine, I was her person and thus she and I had a bond so strong it was very difficult for her when I was not around. She would go over fences to be with me. I have a couple friends that have Cattle dogs and theirs went through closed windows to find them when left at home.One girl had to bring hers to work and he sat in her truck all night and was fine( working nights so it was cool out made that possible) but if she left him home he would break a window and escape.

I currenlty have,Dazzle a Silken windhound (sighthound) which is a very easy breed and I can not tell you how much I miss my crazy Jazz. I love Dazzle but he is sooo different. I miss that head strong active girl that argued with me about such things as missing an agility weave pole or a million other things ( Jazz did have an opinion on everything, loved to argue and get the last word in!) I do have Phoenix and she too is a herder but older and deaf and now only has one eye she can see out of so is more like Daz then Jazz.

That puppy is very cute and if you do have time for the breed should make a great dog but I think you have to be willing to put in the time working with her not just being there. Good luck... can't wait to hear how the fostering goes.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 PM

6,758 posts, read 8,277,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Haven't been on for awhile so am just reading this now. I had Jazz for 14.5yrs she was a cattle dog x border collie and yes I live in a condo so was told it would not work out.When I adopted her I felt an owners time is much more important than a big yard so talked the rescue group into letting me have her. I still feel that way.

I have no regrets as she was the best dog I have ever owned. She was my once in a life time dog as there was such a bond with her. Did she miss not living on a ranch? I doubt it if you look in my photo albums you can see just how happy she looks as she had a great life. We had plenty of off leash exercise and adventures and she did agility and had her buddy Dash ( my Border colliesX springer mix). She like LTTP's Bailey saw EVERYTHING..nothing got past her and yes she alerted me when she thought I should know about something . She barked alot when she played and people would tease her with a toy but in reality she was not a big barker. My neighbors claimed they never heard her or Dash.

As much as I loved her she was never an easy dog so I put a ton of time into her and found metal stimulation to be just as important as physical exercise.On walks I always did obedience drills so she and Dash had to pay attention and do sits and downs etc as we walked. Jazz worked for everything, a toss of her ball meant a trick first, I think we both had alot of fun.

I read a discription about the personality of Cattle dogs in a dog magazine and it was Jazz to a Tee. She was bossy, stubborn and everything belonged to her..picture the seagulls in Little Nemo screaming "MINE MINE MINE" that was Jazz. While she shared fine with people not so with other dogs and the day we adopted Dash she did fine until we got home then she raced inside gathered all her toys and stood over them threatening him...oh yea he got the message and because he was a passive boy they did fine together. She has issues with strange dogs especially females but once she got to know them she was fine AS LONG as they played HER games by HER rules! She was 100% the Queen.
I workd hard to make sure she did have an inhibited bite and so when she did have issues with another dog I knew she would not hurt the dog . She had a few bites on her but never left a mark on another dog or a human which amazed people as she and I played very rough. People would see us and be worried that she was hurting me but she had perfect control of her bite.Made me trust her with kids too as she loved my 3 nephews but would drag the youngest one around by grabbing him or his clothing and he would screech and she get even rougher with him but once again she never left a mark on him and she would protect him big time. I know she felt she raised that boy!

Funny thing is as tuff as she was she was a drama queen and a very soft dog. Just with the tone of my voice I could make her crumble, one stern " BAD DOG" from me and she would be sucking up to me trying to get back in my good graces. While she loved people and loved meeting them she was 100% mine, I was her person and thus she and I had a bond so strong it was very difficult for her when I was not around. She would go over fences to be with me. I have a couple friends that have Cattle dogs and theirs went through closed windows to find them when left at home.One girl had to bring hers to work and he sat in her truck all night and was fine( working nights so it was cool out made that possible) but if she left him home he would break a window and escape.

I currenlty have,Dazzle a Silken windhound (sighthound) which is a very easy breed and I can not tell you how much I miss my crazy Jazz. I love Dazzle but he is sooo different. I miss that head strong active girl that argued with me about such things as missing an agility weave pole or a million other things ( Jazz did have an opinion on everything, loved to argue and get the last word in!) I do have Phoenix and she too is a herder but older and deaf and now only has one eye she can see out of so is more like Daz then Jazz.

That puppy is very cute and if you do have time for the breed should make a great dog but I think you have to be willing to put in the time working with her not just being there. Good luck... can't wait to hear how the fostering goes.
This post just brought back so many memories of my blue heeler. God, how I miss everything about her - including her bossiness. She used to 'lead' the hay wagon onto the yard. I'd be coming with the tractor pulling a load of hay and she would be out in front acting like she was leading us.

And I'd hand her the reins of my horse when I was done riding and she would lead the horse to the barn. When people she didn't like came over she would be inches from their heels, stopping just short of nipping, but it was clear that she wanted to. Usually, the people she didn't like, I didn't like either, and so inwardly I was shamefully gleeful about that.

There wasn't a better cow dog than my girl.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 AM

26,143 posts, read 30,058,984 times
I met her on Satuday and she is the SWEETEST dog. She came into the rescue program with her brother and the two were like night and day so they seperated them. I had a ton of questions for the rescue foster and this dog is so sweet and docile and well mannered. I was hugging and kissing her and she was just fine.

The rescue worker and the trainer she was working with are both coming this week with her so she can show me the stuff that they've been working on and what I need to stay on top of and then we are going to do a two week foster to adopt where I keep the dog for two weeks to make sure and since I was a foster with this rescue it's not a problem. I am excited.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This post just brought back so many memories of my blue heeler. God, how I miss everything about her - including her bossiness. She used to 'lead' the hay wagon onto the yard. I'd be coming with the tractor pulling a load of hay and she would be out in front acting like she was leading us.

And I'd hand her the reins of my horse when I was done riding and she would lead the horse to the barn. When people she didn't like came over she would be inches from their heels, stopping just short of nipping, but it was clear that she wanted to. Usually, the people she didn't like, I didn't like either, and so inwardly I was shamefully gleeful about that.

There wasn't a better cow dog than my girl.

They are the dogs you never forget that is for sure. They are so smart and understand sooo much.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:36 AM

If I was in Irving Texas instead of Santa Barbara CA I would be at the Irving animal shelter first thing in the morning adopting this pup...anyone in Irving??????? there are actually two pups but this is the one that I want!!!!

http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Australian-Cattle-Dog-Mix-13032375

I can't wait to hear how your foster goes. Jazz too was very sweet to me,people that did not know her well were sometimes afraid of her but if you knew her 100% lovebug ...loved to cuddle with me too!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 AM

9,353 posts, read 19,265,508 times
I'm SURE transport can be arranged......

Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 AM

4,178 posts, read 10,344,799 times
We have an Aussie/heeler cross; our neighbors had an accidental breed (Dad came from a very friendly neighborhood) and they had to get rid of the puppies. I got the choice between a male or a female; the female was shy, the male was bouncy and inquisitive, so I picked him.

I've had an Afghan, border collies, shelties, and mutts who were all very smart. This one tops them all. He is also very mischievous and gets bored easily. However, we bought this farm 3 years ago and populated it with small cows, a horse, chickens, and barn cats; we needed a herd dog to help my handicapped DH. We found a set of DVDs for herd dogs to train him, and used them. He has 'the eye' - one of the few dogs who will gaze into your eyes for several minutes, puzzling out your mood, your responses, and then - pounce! He does it with the cattle, too; watches their eyes, their body language, to determine the best way to herd them, which way they are thinking about heading, etc. He doesn't have a lot of toys because he has destroyed them all; he is very muscular and strong, and can body-check you just running by. However, he will play "fetch" with you for hours with sticks. He will often seek out sticks to bring to you to throw, long after your arms are tired. Yesterday I was painting and dropped a paintbrush on the floor, it flipped several feet away. He immediately went to it and picked it up; I said, "Give it!" and he brought it straight to me. Since he is just a year old, he is finally outgrowing his puppy-chew-everything stage. I will say that he was quite efficient on an expired credit card, and I only lost two pair of shoes.

Be prepared for boundless energy, endless curiosity, quick intelligence, and a warm affectionate nature. He does try to dominate, though, so establish early who is alpha dog. Our other dog is 19 and he is respectful but not particularly affectionate; they merely tolerate each other, but no viciousness. Cats are toys. He doesn't try to rip them apart but he does pounce gleefully upon them. Some of them have gotten to the point that, when they see him coming, they will go up to him and put their heads in his mouth to be dragged around. He has a gentle mouth when he 'bites' us or the cats, but he nips the heels of the cows very effectively. He knows where his property is; he tries to intimidate the neighbors by racing toward them barking; he will respond to voice and will lay down or turn around. However, if they do come on into the yard, he will lay down at their feet, roll over, wriggle, and pee on their feet. They find him very funny, since they all wear boots. He only barks while defending his property, never for no reason. When he is naughty, we tell him, "Go to your room!" and he will go to his outdoor pen and sit by the door. We put him in and he never whines or barks to be let out, just entertains himself until his 'time out' is over.

He loves both snow and water; he will plunge into both with equal glee, shoving his nose deeply, then throwing snow or water everywhere, over and over. I filmed him one day playing in a six-foot drift; all you could see at times was his tail, then his head would pop up out of the snowbank while he laughed.

Last edited by SCGranny; 05-09-2011 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs