Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times

Advertisements

Katie has an appointment with her vet in 2 days...Because we lived in a high rise apt I never gave her shot for Lyme... Recent move to new apt on 1st floor her having a yard now PLUS there is a Herd of Deer in our back yard feeding daily.

Wanting to know the Pros & Cons of the Vaccine...I know when they 1st came out they gave false possitivies.....web sites are trying to SELL the prodect so I have not seen any Negitives about it.....Thanks in advance for any in put............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,533,734 times
They can still give false positives but my vet does recheck if that happens.
I feel safer as I am in a tick area and work them in the woods and long grassy areas also but can get the ticks in the city just as easy. Even with frontline and such they can still get bit so safer with them in my eyes.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,916,705 times
Lyme is a killed vaccine, augmented with chemicals like aluminum hydroxide to make the vaccine more effective. These chemicals, called adjuvants, have been found to be carcinogenic by the WHO. Also, vaccines from killed bacteria are more likely to cause adverse reactions such as a suppressed immune system. That being said, your vet can give you data on Lyme infection statistics in your area and help you determine if the vaccine is necessary for your dog. Preventing contact with ticks is still the best and safest defense.

This site has some good info: Home

Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM

265 posts, read 1,293,909 times
Well I didn't treat, and my dog was diagnosed with Lyme's (fortunately we caught it so early, no symptoms had begun to show). Now, I'm no longer in MA, having moved to NC, and I have NEVER SEEN SO MANY TICKS IN MY LIFE...I treat all dogs topically (two are on Frontline Plus, one Advantix (or Advantage?)--which seem about the same in repelling) and every day I'm pulling dead ticks off. If the ticks have already bitten, then they've spread any diseases they're carrying. Originally I was told that Lyme's was very rare in Central NC, but now I'm feeling a bit worried (I MEAN, YOU'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY TICKS...and man, that's the one thing that totally creeps me out...ugh!!)

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks.

~PudelPie
P.S. Sorry to hijack the conversation...

Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Ask your vet...my vet actually recommed NOT giving Katie the shot! He was more conserned about me gettin lyme than Katie......

Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,916,705 times
According to my vet, not all ticks transmit Lyme, so you probably should show the ticks that you find on your dogs to your vet to find out if they are the type that carries Lyme. He also said that if the tick dies within 24 hours the chance of Lyme transmission is low. You might try spraying your property with Virbac or something else with permethrin. Only you can decide if the danger of Lyme outweighs the toxicity of the tick control. Not an easy decision....

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,720,158 times
Pudelpie -
I've heard that nematodes in the yard will take care of ticks very nicely, and this is a safe, non toxic, organic way to do it. We're considering it, even though we have hardly any ticks. Last summer we found 3 all summer! Haven't seen any yet this year, though the word is that ticks are expected to be bad this year due to all the rain. PudelPie, we're in central NC also.

Our vet up north uses nematodes, but don't know what the success rate was.

Katie1, our sheltie tested positive for lyme the first test, and has always tested positive since. We put him through the treatment for lyme at that time even though he showed no symptoms, but we don't vaccinate against it. But then, as I said, we don't have a problem with ticks.

Last edited by swbtoo; 05-22-2008 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Pudelpie -
I've heard that nematodes in the yard will take care of ticks very nicely, and this is a safe, non toxic, organic way to do it. ...
Our vet up north uses nematodes, but don't know what the success rate was.
Interesting...what are nematodes? (which I'm going to go Google right now!)

Old 05-22-2008, 02:32 PM

Ha! I should've Googled first! Here is is:
"Nematodes are the most numerous multicellular animals on earth. A handful of soil will contain thousands of the microscopic worms, many of them parasites of ..."

My problem is that I've got almost 9 acres, just recently fenced in with a walking path surrounding the perimeter...and, of course, it's mostly wooded. <sigh> I'm heading to the vet tomorrow for another issue (see Addison's Disease referenced earlier) and I'll ask the vet then about tick-borne disease prevention/tick prevention, etc. Thanks, southward bound.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM

SWB Katie tested NEG yesterday. & even tho deer come into the yard we also have flocks of birds that eat ticks. He was more conserned that I would get Lyme before Katie..suggested that both me & my son get tested... Next week I see my dr.
Which sheltie has lyme & how long has he had it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs