U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,452,485 times

Advertisements

Share your pet stories about cute and funny things your dog(s) do(es)! I'd like to hear them!

Here's one that happened about a year ago. I was eating a sandwich and drinking apple juice in my room. Suddenly, I spilled apple juice all over the carpet so I ran downstairs to get some paper towels, carpet cleaner, and a rag to clean it up. When I came back, my mini doxie, Chula, was on my bed nom nomming on my sandwich!!!XD

Last edited by CancerianMoonPrincess; 05-25-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM

32,464 posts, read 75,501,274 times
My pal Sparky liked to climb trees.
Well, one tree in particular.

The house behind us had a big weeping willow with a low branch he could catch and pull himself up on.
Once up that far he would just keep on going.

But that's only half the story.
He also liked to completely freak out the neighborhood cats by **following* them up that tree.

This crazy hound would herd any cat he could to run toward that tree...
and then with a sort of wicked smile on his face just keep following on behind them...
and right on up after them.

As I said, it completely freaked them out!

It worked too with all except one cat. The one we later called WW2.
(after the cat next door in the Peanuts cartoon that always got Snoopy too)

Regularly, my pal Sparky would come home with a cat scratch scrape...
right down the center of his wet nose.

It didn't stop him.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM

2,709 posts, read 5,981,350 times
Hopes' post about her dog made me think of this, and for me it DOES count as a cute and funny dog story....

My family owns Siberian Huskies. We've had 7 total, and 3 of those have passed on. The first one we lost was our second one. His name was Tabasco. He was huge, regal, wild...and dopey. My mom called him Baby Huey because he was such a dumb, goofy dog. He died prematurely at the age of 5 after a visitor accidentally let him out of the house. When Sibes get loose, they run...and the inevitable happened. We found him on the side of the road probably just a short while after he'd been hit by the car. He was dead, but his body was still loose and limber. We took him back to my brother's house (he was my brother's dog), and there, amidst much crying, we buried him in the yard.

Tabasco was a big dog and we had to dig a big grave. It was early April, about 40 degrees outside and there was a constant, steady drizzle -- the perfect complement to our emotions. The five of us stood out in the corner of the yard with our shovels, our picks, and our post-hole diggers, while Tabasco lay as if sleeping on the ground nearby. Hours. We were there for hours. Crying, digging, talking, crying. The ground was like rock, the rain like tears.

After about 5 hours of digging -- seriously: big dog, big hole -- we pretty much stopped talking. Stopped crying, too. I think we were all out of words and tears. Or maybe the cold April day and the physical labor and the grief had just numbed us beyond anything but the mechanical necessity of digging that hole, finishing the sad task at hand.

After about 6 hours of digging, my dad slammed his post-hole digger into the ground with tremendous force, looked down at our sweet friend lying at our feet, and loudly proclaimed, in a voice ripe with exhaustion and exasperation, "You couldn't have been a damn chihuahua, huh, Tabasco?"

There was a moment of just absolute shock...all of us frozen in mid-motion -- and then, like a last healing gift, the laughter started. We laughed like crazy people. We giggled and snorted and hooted like loons, leaning on each other, leaning on our tools. My mom peed in her pants...which made us laugh more.

And with laughter still bubbling up to the surface, we finished the hole and gently placed Tabasco inside and covered him up and told happy stories of our joyful, joyous life with him.

There's a line in the movie Steel Magnolias that says "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion." It's been twelve years since we buried Tabasco, and when I remember that day, I don't remember the sadness as much as I remember the laughter...and the image that flashed into my mind of a teacup chihuahua planted in a terracotta pot with a geranium on top.

A good dog is a beautiful, immortal gift.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,953,417 times
Not really a story but i find it funny. My sister who is 31 and has a 1 year old child dresses up the dog and child. She sent me a picture of the dog(baxter) dressed up in pillows, supposedly he was a lamb and my nephew dressed up as a sheperd complete with the cane. I wish i had pictures but they are all on facebook and i cant log into facebook from work.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM

24,841 posts, read 35,536,758 times
I have told this before on here but,......

When Bear and Angel (labs) ride though the automatic car wash, when we come out they shake off as if they had been wet.

They do it every time!!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,925,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Hopes' post about her dog made me think of this, and for me it DOES count as a cute and funny dog story....

My family owns Siberian Huskies. We've had 7 total, and 3 of those have passed on. The first one we lost was our second one. His name was Tabasco. He was huge, regal, wild...and dopey. My mom called him Baby Huey because he was such a dumb, goofy dog. He died prematurely at the age of 5 after a visitor accidentally let him out of the house. When Sibes get loose, they run...and the inevitable happened. We found him on the side of the road probably just a short while after he'd been hit by the car. He was dead, but his body was still loose and limber. We took him back to my brother's house (he was my brother's dog), and there, amidst much crying, we buried him in the yard.

Tabasco was a big dog and we had to dig a big grave. It was early April, about 40 degrees outside and there was a constant, steady drizzle -- the perfect complement to our emotions. The five of us stood out in the corner of the yard with our shovels, our picks, and our post-hole diggers, while Tabasco lay as if sleeping on the ground nearby. Hours. We were there for hours. Crying, digging, talking, crying. The ground was like rock, the rain like tears.

After about 5 hours of digging -- seriously: big dog, big hole -- we pretty much stopped talking. Stopped crying, too. I think we were all out of words and tears. Or maybe the cold April day and the physical labor and the grief had just numbed us beyond anything but the mechanical necessity of digging that hole, finishing the sad task at hand.

After about 6 hours of digging, my dad slammed his post-hole digger into the ground with tremendous force, looked down at our sweet friend lying at our feet, and loudly proclaimed, in a voice ripe with exhaustion and exasperation, "You couldn't have been a damn chihuahua, huh, Tabasco?"

There was a moment of just absolute shock...all of us frozen in mid-motion -- and then, like a last healing gift, the laughter started. We laughed like crazy people. We giggled and snorted and hooted like loons, leaning on each other, leaning on our tools. My mom peed in her pants...which made us laugh more.

And with laughter still bubbling up to the surface, we finished the hole and gently placed Tabasco inside and covered him up and told happy stories of our joyful, joyous life with him.

There's a line in the movie Steel Magnolias that says "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion." It's been twelve years since we buried Tabasco, and when I remember that day, I don't remember the sadness as much as I remember the laughter...and the image that flashed into my mind of a teacup chihuahua planted in a terracotta pot with a geranium on top.

oh, i was tearing up reading your story and thinking of that scene in Steel Magnolias (one of my FAVORITE movies) before you even mentioned it ..... and laughed with you, as well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

When Bear and Angel (labs) ride though the automatic car wash, when we come out they shake off as if they had been wet.

this STILL makes me chuckle.....

Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 AM

13,526 posts, read 17,975,010 times
A friends little 3 year old son had a big cookie.....my huge dog Chance was offered the cookie...we watched in awe when he gently took the cookie from the little boy.....and then amusement when the little boy changed his mind before Chance turned away, and reached into Chances mouth, and took his whole cookie back....poor Chance, he was such a gentle giant, little chicks could hop all over him and he would just lay still....I still tear up when I think of him, and miss him still so much.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,585,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Oh, this is the best!!!!!!
Thank you!!!!

Let me add one: once my Maltese was in MIL's house as we were out of town, and she (MIL) suddenly heard, in the middle of the night, a weird, loud, banging noise in the kitchen. She was scared as it was probably about 2AM and all was dark and silent, but of course she had to go see what it was since the noise wouldn't stop.
When she reached the kitchen and turned the lights on, it was my Maltese with her head stuck in a cardboard box (don't remember exactly, but maybe a cake mix or something) banging it from side to side as she got stuck after sticking her nose into the box to smell it. Even though she could breathe she couldn't see a thing, so you can imagine the laugh my MIL had when she saw it.

Last edited by Miaiam; 05-28-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,585,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post

OMG, what a beautiful, sweet post. Though in a moment of incredible sadness, Tabasco still managed to bring a good laugh to you and your family, who loved him so much. I am sure you were a wonderful family altogether.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 11,792,380 times
All of our dogs are kept on a strict weight-control diet. That usually makes for a lot of "happy dancing" at feeding time. On that particular Sunday, DH and I went out and met some friends for a late lunch/early dinner. When we got back, it was feeding time and I went ahead and gave the dogs their evening allotment of food. It was then that I noticed that our Chessie Mariah and our Chocolate Lab Bandit weren't eating but were just standing there looking down at their bowls. Now...you have to understand that both Mariah and Bandit had always been vaccuum cleaners, they didn't chew their food and they certainly didn't taste it, they just sucked it in. Full bowl to empty bowl in 5 seconds or less. For both to be off their food at once was definately a reason to be seriously concerned. I looked at Gator.....Nope...he is eating his food just fine. The other two...still standing there not even taking a mouthful.....then....I noticed something a bit off......both dogs looked a little full around the middle...in fact they downright looked like german sausages! An idea crossed my mind and I headed to the utility room. Yup...sliding door to the closet is open and half of a new 37 pound bag of dog food is missing! Wow - that meant that those two had consumed over 18 pounds of dog food in 3 hours! I figured I had better call the vet. Once he stopped laughing he assured me that everything should be fine but not to offer any food to either one of them for the next 24 hours. He also warned me to be prepared for phase two. Innocent me...I asked what is phase two??? After he stopped laughing again all he said was..."what goes in must come out!"

He was right...... Over the next couple of days that 18 pounds of dog food transformed in the yard into at least 40 pounds of ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs