U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 PM

4,974 posts, read 11,663,620 times

Advertisements

Chaos and I had her first puppy class this evening. She is the social butterfly of the class as a lot of the puppies were rather shy..not my girl! There were toys out for play time and she was the first one comfortable enough to go grab one and try to get the others to join her in a game of chase or tug. She really enjoyed class. There are 11 puppies in the class, 4 are aussies, 2 are goldens. there was a corgi and several small breed dogs but our biggest surprise was Archie, he is an 11 week old Silken Windhound. meaning my elegant handsome Dazzle is no longer the only Silken Windhound in Santa Barbara! Maybe when Archie is older he can run with Dazzle on the beach sometime, Dazzle would love that! Archie is quite shy and I think he thought Miss Chaos was some crazy beast little does he know she loves to tackle silken windhound brother Dazzle! I like the mix in the class so this should be afun class!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 PM

57 posts, read 305,879 times
Sounds like a fun puppy class! Lucky yours get to socialize and play.

I signed mine up for Petsmart puppy class, and although there are 4 other dogs, my puppy never met any of them during class. All we did was basic commands, and if anything, their dogs taught my puppy it was okay to bark for no reason. They're also all bigger and older than her!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 AM

3,620 posts, read 11,659,544 times
Oh how fun! I used to love puppy classes. All that lovely puppy breath in one room and a bunch of fun youngins' running around! I'm not surprised that you girl "took charge". From everything so far she has proved to be a very smart cookie!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 AM

737 posts, read 2,445,569 times
I signed up our first rescue at a Petsmart for training. She about 4 years old, so not a puppy. It wasn't until the second class that the instructor realized she already knew the commands (at some point, someone had been a caring owner).

Long story short and several dogs later... she proudly announces and continually reminds each new addition to the pack that she was first in her class. She was! She was the only pupil besides the trainer's dog.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM

135 posts, read 366,097 times
Go Chaos!! I wish I could get mine in a class, but the only classes are 45 minutes from home and in the middle of the workweek when I work.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyers View Post
Go Chaos!! I wish I could get mine in a class, but the only classes are 45 minutes from home and in the middle of the workweek when I work.

That does make it hard. These classes were listed as Tuesday nights and being I am not working any Tuesday nights for the next 6 weeks I thought perfect then I got the confirmation and it said Thursday nights so I called and they had made a mistake. I was scheduled to work 2 of the Thursdays but last night one of my coworkers who is a friend switched with me so I got my Thursday off and she gets tonight off. In 2 weeks I am working a Thursday so I need to work on that one if nothing else maybe I can just come in late we shall see. I will see if any of the dayshift on that day wants 2 hrs of overtime.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 PM

216 posts, read 645,796 times
OMG...I am so glad to learn something new! I had never heard of Silken Windhounds, and after seeing your Chaos post, and pics of your dogs, I went on-line to learn more...I think I am in love!

I have never owned a sight hound, but was so impressed with the rescued greyhounds that were therapy dogs in my mom's nursing home, I vowed to learn more. Even though I am years away from my next dog, I do want something a bit smaller than my current 72 lb. setter. I am so impressed with the Windhound folks online, their code of ethics, and the health and temperament of their breed.....the dogs physical beauty, grace, size, and soft temperament really appeals to me.

Thank you so much for sharing pics and info about your dog..... I plan to spend the next few years trying to learn more about them! I love learning something new from the City-data folks!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
OMG...I am so glad to learn something new! I had never heard of Silken Windhounds, and after seeing your Chaos post, and pics of your dogs, I went on-line to learn more...I think I am in love!

I have never owned a sight hound, but was so impressed with the rescued greyhounds that were therapy dogs in my mom's nursing home, I vowed to learn more. Even though I am years away from my next dog, I do want something a bit smaller than my current 72 lb. setter. I am so impressed with the Windhound folks online, their code of ethics, and the health and temperament of their breed.....the dogs physical beauty, grace, size, and soft temperament really appeals to me.

Thank you so much for sharing pics and info about your dog..... I plan to spend the next few years trying to learn more about them! I love learning something new from the City-data folks!
When I was deciding if I wanted a windhound I went to what is known as the boofest in Northern CA. It is a windhound show and racing and I met many breeders and dogs. They only seemed to have good things to say about the breed and when I kept asking the downfall as all breeds have them they really had no answer one said I guess it would be that I have 11 of them. There was a man standing there with his and he had been listening so came over to talk to me and he said he was a trainer for Guide dogs for the blind so spent all day working with the shepherds, Labs and Goldens. He said the only downfall to him with a windhound is like all sight hounds you do not let them off leash in unfenced areas so going out to the car you leash them not let them just follow like you could with well trained dogs of other breeds.Other then that all he had to say were nice things about the breed. Well now after having Dazzle for about 2 yrs I have to agree they are great dogs, healthy, quiet, singe coated so not alot of shedding, give them some exercise and they are happy lounging, they tend to love kids and they are smart, very smart but unlike the herding breeds that want to make you happy they think more of themselves so if you ask them to do something they may have to think about it and if you do repititions you may get 3 then they look at you like : OK weren't you watching I just did that 3 times and if you missed it too bad as I am not doing it again

Dazzle is the biggest love bug cuddle bug I know and I had really planned on getting a 2nd one but having had herding dogs I really miss that intensity they have and the playing fetch and doing agility with a good partner. Oh Dazzle does agility and learned the equipment faster then the aussies in class but he lacks the drive and focus to be a good partner in agility but he makes up for it by being such an easy good boy. I also have alot of respect for the current breeders as they do have the best interest in the breed at heart and are trying to keep it very healthy. All the puppies born have their DNA sent to UC Davis so there is a complete Genome on the breed. Now add elegance and beauty to all this and the shear grace when they run..easy to love that is for sure. Dazzle is 100% momma's boy

I think they do have a great future as long as the breeding is kept in check like it is now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs