U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 PM

29,855 posts, read 49,528,603 times

Advertisements

Rudy and I just came back from the dog park, and I have to vent about this one lady there - and ask how you talk to people like her. First I should say that she was very nice, so this isn't anything against her personality... but she was obviously clueless about dogs, and I did my best to advise her without offending.

So she walks in with this REALLY tiny Yorkshire Terrier, complete with a pink t-shirt & blinged-out collar/tag... the lady described her as a "toy teacup Yorkie," if I remember correctly, and it was only 3.5lbs at around 7 months old. The dog was incredibly cute, and actually rather confident for such a tiny & young dog. The owner got to talking with us, and said that she was originally going to breed the dog, but has decided against it. Good! Then she says "I still wanna get a male companion for her, but then what do I do when she goes into heat?" Without hesitation, both I & another woman answered in unison "you get them neutered." Duh.

She then started going off about how it would change the dog, she doesn't want to DO that her, surgery is scary, etc, etc. I did my best to convince her the dog/s would be fine, even saying "almost every dog here is neutered (including my own), and they all look happy and healthy. Right?" I think she finally got the point, but it's amazing how many people are still so anti-neutering! Matter of fact, a Pit Bull IN HEAT showed up at the park a few minutes later... and much to my disgust, Rudy decided to have a lick back there. Ewwwwww. The pit owner did have the dog on a leash, and was only there to exercise his other dog - so I had no issue with him, and just hoped silently that he's not a BYB.

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to rant, and ask how you all handle folks like this? I don't stick my nose into anyone's business generally, but in this case she was looking for advice. So what's the best way to discuss the issue, and convince them spaying/neutering is a good idea? And for the record, I have no problem with responsible and professional breeders or purebreds in general.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-12-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 PM

16,801 posts, read 37,721,734 times
You expect normal dog owner thought processes out of someone who dresses their dog in "pink t-shirt & blinged-out collar/tag"?

She didn't get a dog, she got a fashion accessory.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM

6,500 posts, read 11,260,604 times
I think pointing out the health advantages is a good place to start.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 PM

29,855 posts, read 49,528,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You expect normal dog owner thought processes out of someone who dresses their dog in "pink t-shirt & blinged-out collar/tag"?

She didn't get a dog, she got a fashion accessory.
True dat, LOL. I hope she gained SOME knowledge from our conversation, though...

Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 103,333,612 times
My neighbors make me angry. They have pets (dog and cats) but don't believe in vets. The pets aren't fixed and don't have shots.

How do I know?

When there was a rabies scare in the neighborhood (we were seeing a raccoon out in broad daylight), I warned them to keep their cats inside. Somehow their response indicated their cats aren't vaccinated for rabies! I pointed out that vaccinating protects not only the pet but their family and children too. He didn't care, shrugged his shoulders.

Their female cat is pregnant every year. Last week, he was complaining that she's pregnant again. I said, "You should get her fixed." His response, "Yeah, I should but I'm too busy."

Idiots! Complete idiots!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:03 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,037,302 times
I have to say that I really don't TRY to talk to "clueless folks." It's an exercise in frustration, and it's pointless...unless I'm just feeling masochistic. I've noticed that for the most part, they just don't LISTEN. Either they ARE simply clueless, and so they don't recognize intelligent advice when they hear it, or they simply don't care. Either way, I figure I could talk to them until I'm blue in the face and it won't make a difference.

I'm one of those fairly-devoted dog-mamas who is full of opinions on the RIGHT way to raise/care for a dog. And my dog is well-cared-for and well-behaved, so I must be doing something right, right? But I've noticed that there are people who own a dog...and there are "dog-owners." Sometimes it's hard to get past that (clueless) dismissive attitude that dogs are just animals....

So I don't really try.

(I have a good friend whose brother recently got a dog. This family CANNOT afford a dog. They can barely afford to maintain their own small human family of 4, and they can't afford a dog. They won't pay for good food for the dog, so the dog is doing a lot of chewing and scratching. The dog has behavior issues, and rather than try to correct the behaviors, they just yell at the dog. If the dog pees or poops on the floor, my friend's brother rubs the dog's nose in the poop and yells at the dog. My friend has told her brother that he has no business owning a dog, and his dismissive and condescending response was to sneer at her and say, "Oh, you're one of THOSE.... You think dogs should be treated like HUMANS. They're not people. They're just dogs." And you know what? You just can't argue with that kind of mindset.)

Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

10,339 posts, read 16,318,794 times
I'd tell them all the health problems that can occur such as cancer if they don't spay/neuter them and the potential vet bills ($10K+).

Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM

5,244 posts, read 15,650,781 times
Give them the facts, tell them to talk to their vet if they don't believe you. Then walk away before you rip out your hair. There are some people you can't talk to. You can't fix stupid. All you can do is give facts and advice and tell them where they can confirm the info you've given them and hope for the best.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,240,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When there was a rabies scare in the neighborhood (we were seeing a raccoon out in broad daylight), I warned them to keep their cats inside. Somehow their response indicated their cats aren't vaccinated for rabies! I pointed out that vaccinating protects not only the pet but their family and children too. He didn't care, shrugged his shoulders.

Their female cat is pregnant every year. Last week, he was complaining that she's pregnant again. I said, "You should get her fixed." His response, "Yeah, I should but I'm too busy."

Idiots! Complete idiots!

Apparently they don't know that female cats have a 95% fatality rate from mammary tumors, and the risk of these tumors increases with every heat cycle. Not to mention this poor cat is probably sick and tired of having litter after litter . Letting unvaccinated cats roam is one of the most irresponsible things a person could do, but an unfixed AND unvaccinated? Eegads! I'm gonna go hug my fixed kitties right now...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM

16,801 posts, read 37,721,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
They won't pay for good food for the dog, so the dog is doing a lot of chewing and scratching. The dog has behavior issues, and rather than try to correct the behaviors, they just yell at the dog. If the dog pees or poops on the floor, my friend's brother rubs the dog's nose in the poop and yells at the dog. My friend has told her brother that he has no business owning a dog, and his dismissive and condescending response was to sneer at her and say, "Oh, you're one of THOSE.... You think dogs should be treated like HUMANS. They're not people. They're just dogs."
If I put to words what I'd like to do to people like this, I'd collect a ban... so I won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs