Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times

Advertisements

I have a seven year old poodle with a history of crystals, UTI's and bladder problems. He also has a ranging PH level. He has lived in 3 different homes with me, this is his final home. He has been peeing on the carpet in the bedroom at night and also pooping occasionally. He is let out around 10 at night and if I hear him in the night jump off the bed let out again. He will go for several days without an accident then have one. He is crated during the day and is fine, he is let out every hour or so when we are home but these accidents still occur at night. The vet suggested a special food but because of ranging ph level he is still on the same food. He does not like going out in the rain or snow. Appetite is good, drinking is average. I am at a loss as what to do. I would hate to crate him at night as he is crated during the day. He does not have accidents in his crate. Any advice on this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 11:43 AM

19,944 posts, read 12,233,681 times
The history of UTI's, crystals and bladder problems are a huge red flag. I suspect he has an infection that was never knocked out by a sufficient course of anti biotics, vets tend to do only around two weeks. If he were my dog I would get him in asap to ensure there is no infection. Simmering infections can lead to kidney issues. There likely more going on here but I am heading out and short on time. There is a great yahoo group that can help with this if you are interested. Others here are great and will be helping shortly. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:23 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,594,208 times
If you rule out what shadowne has suggested, and you want him to sleep on your bed with you, then crate him on your bed if there's room or tie him to the head of the bed beside you.

CAUTION; Don't give him enough leash to jump off or he might be in danger of hanging himself (measure it carefully)
(BTW, this will only work if your dog won't pee on your bed)

That's what we did with our poodle when we got her. She was 6 months old and wasn't properly house trained by the previous owners. She'd jump off and pee on the floor, then jump back up. Tying her to the headboard between us gave her no choice but to wake us up. When she tried to climb over us to get off, we'd get up and take her out. She learned to hold it fairly quickly. She'd just never been trained properly. (they had a dog door and she just went outside without having to "ask")

Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,602 times
Hi, Heidi1216,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Shadowne on this one. Suddenly having accidents (particularly at night) is actually a sign of UTI according to my Vet.

This can also be a sign of other, more serious issues. However, if he is only 7 years old --- let's hope that it is not.

I suggest that you get him to the Vet ASAP. If it is a UTI, he is miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs