Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Reputation: 10355

Advertisements

Greyhounds wear muzzles for several reasons, actually. But one reason is, they have a very high prey drive and tend to nip and bite in the excitement of chasing the lure. And, since greyhounds have thin, tight skin, little body fat and not much coat, they're especially prone to injury from just a nip. Especially at high speed.

My Little Spotted Dog is not a greyhound (JRT x cattle dog), but she has a thin coat, tight skin and not a whole lot of body fat. I just spent several days camping with friends; we had seven dogs there - private property away from it all, so the dogs can run loose (supervised) and they have a blast.

My Little Spotted Dog is very fast and loves to run, so one of her favourite games is to play CATCH ME! with the other dogs. A friend's Lab nipped at her as she zoomed by...we watched it happen, he was not trying to inflict a bite, just excited and nipping - but he ripped a 2-3 inch flap of skin away from her side. He didn't get the muscle, no punctures...actually Fiona was completely OK after the initial shock and it barely bled. It was a case of a playful lunge at a bad time, and a tooth snagged her skin at high speed...he's a very gentle and nice Labrador. (It occured to me that had he been a pit bull or Rottweiler I would have to work a lot harder to justify or explain this...LOL. And I also have a pit bull x and a Rottweiler....)

But clearly it needed to be stitched up, and she couldn't be allowed to run around in the woods and in and out of the water with all that exposed tissue. By the time we got to the vet she was all happy and thrilled to get attention and visit with the vet and vet techs...until I had to walk out and leave her.

So my poor little zoomy-dog ended up spending three days at the ER vet instead of hanging out camping and playing. They were uber-cautious (which I understand) and shaved the area, checked for punctures, stitched her up and put her on anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics.

I suspect she'd have been fine if she had looser skin or more fur. I wonder how common this type of injury is? I've had multiple dogs for many years, but this was a first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Reputation: 6541
Three days at the vets for a little skin rip? Wow!

My Alaskan Husky mix got one of her front dew claw caught and she ripped about 3 inches of skin away, which had to be stitched up. She was given a local anesthetic, antibiotics, and stitched up within an hour.

Three days is just ridiculous.

I am glad she is okay, but you seriously need to find a different vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Reputation: 10355
Yah....three days was beyond the pale. My regular vet (this was an ER vet clinic in a different county) knows me and I would have had her back the same day. In fact, had I been at home, I may have tried gluing it up myself and keeping her quiet and clean for a few days.

The only reason I didn't make a big stink was because, I figured if she'd come back the same day, I would have needed to restrict her access to wild-assed running, hunting, woods and the creek and swamp. She would have been terribly frustrated. So, unhappy though she was, it was safer for her to be at the vet clinic I think....it was pretty rustic where we were.

The upside...she is able to come to work with me this week on the job, whch makes her feel pretty special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 PM
 
24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Reputation: 11538
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Greyhounds wear muzzles for several reasons, actually. But one reason is, they have a very high prey drive and tend to nip and bite in the excitement of chasing the lure. And, since greyhounds have thin, tight skin, little body fat and not much coat, they're especially prone to injury from just a nip. Especially at high speed.

My Little Spotted Dog is not a greyhound (JRT x cattle dog), but she has a thin coat, tight skin and not a whole lot of body fat. I just spent several days camping with friends; we had seven dogs there - private property away from it all, so the dogs can run loose (supervised) and they have a blast.

My Little Spotted Dog is very fast and loves to run, so one of her favourite games is to play CATCH ME! with the other dogs. A friend's Lab nipped at her as she zoomed by...we watched it happen, he was not trying to inflict a bite, just excited and nipping - but he ripped a 2-3 inch flap of skin away from her side. He didn't get the muscle, no punctures...actually Fiona was completely OK after the initial shock and it barely bled. It was a case of a playful lunge at a bad time, and a tooth snagged her skin at high speed...he's a very gentle and nice Labrador. (It occured to me that had he been a pit bull or Rottweiler I would have to work a lot harder to justify or explain this...LOL. And I also have a pit bull x and a Rottweiler....)

But clearly it needed to be stitched up, and she couldn't be allowed to run around in the woods and in and out of the water with all that exposed tissue. By the time we got to the vet she was all happy and thrilled to get attention and visit with the vet and vet techs...until I had to walk out and leave her.

So my poor little zoomy-dog ended up spending three days at the ER vet instead of hanging out camping and playing. They were uber-cautious (which I understand) and shaved the area, checked for punctures, stitched her up and put her on anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics.

I suspect she'd have been fine if she had looser skin or more fur. I wonder how common this type of injury is? I've had multiple dogs for many years, but this was a first.
I am so sorry this happened...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Reputation: 10355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am so sorry this happened...
I was too...this is my first ever small dog (she is 25 lbs, not tiny but I've had Rottweilers for years so to me she is little) and I actually, stupidly choked up at the vet clinic. I feel sort of maternal towards this tough little dog.

However she is milking it...she gets to come to work with me this week so she's all hahaha I am speshul towards the other dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yah....three days was beyond the pale. My regular vet (this was an ER vet clinic in a different county) knows me and I would have had her back the same day. In fact, had I been at home, I may have tried gluing it up myself and keeping her quiet and clean for a few days.

The only reason I didn't make a big stink was because, I figured if she'd come back the same day, I would have needed to restrict her access to wild-assed running, hunting, woods and the creek and swamp. She would have been terribly frustrated. So, unhappy though she was, it was safer for her to be at the vet clinic I think....it was pretty rustic where we were.

The upside...she is able to come to work with me this week on the job, whch makes her feel pretty special.
I think she would be happy anywhere, as long as she was with you.

Just to be safe, I wrapped my Alaskan Husky's leg in Coban tape for about a week to keep her leg from getting dirty. She has a tendency to pounce on things with both of her front paws, like a cat. But after 10 days the vet removed the stitches (my vet did not want to use the disolvable stitches considering the location) and she was fine.

I love that Coban tape, particularly on furry dogs. But it is not always applicable. For example, my other dog got about a one inch rip in his ear, which I bandaged and attempted to wrap with Coban. However, the tape kept sliding down around his neck and would not stay around his ear.

Minor damage from time to time is pretty common with active dogs. It goes with the territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Reputation: 10355
Ah...just looked up Coban tape, pretty cool stuff! I have vet wrap and various first-aid stuff at home in a tool box...guess I should have taken that camping but I didn't. Note to self: take animal first aid box along.

Mind you since this tear was on her flank, I don't think tape would have held...one of the friends there is a nurse actually but didn't have equipment to stitch Fiona up.

My Labradork was the most upset...he isn't the sharpest tool in the box and was pretty much undone by the fact I had taken Fiona away and returned without her. Despite all our best efforts, he pretty much stayed in my truck all weekend (door open, windows down) very concerned that I would leave without him...or leave with him and come back without him. Poor guy! We all spent a lot of time coaxing him out of the truck and going for walks or swimming with him, but I think he was basically convinced it was a nefarious plot and we were going to abandon him at any minute. He didn't have a great start in life (failed foster dog) amnd tends to get concerned about things.

He was ridiculously and stupidly happy to get Fiona back when I picked her up. That was really cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: In the north country fair
5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Reputation: 7871
I think you made the right decision. It would have been impossible to keep her with you, in recovery, while camping. Better safe than sorry.

My dog had a run-in with a Pit once that lunged at her (not playfully, but not uber-aggressive). There was a puncture wound, so I took her to the emergency ER. No flaps of skin, so no stitches. However, I did have to have a tube inserted for drainage.

One thing that they did point out is that, with these types of injuries, layers of skin are often separated from one another. With my dog's injury, there was a high risk of an infection b/c of the possible pocket created by the separation of one layer from another; looser skin actually makes these types of injuries worse.

In your pup's case, there was still a very high risk of infection, which would have been even higher had she been outside, camping, in the wilderness, amidst the summer bugs. Not to mention the possibility that she would have ripped the stitches out, necessitating another trip to the ER.

Sounds like the ER vet and techs did a very good job giving her a thorough work-up; any punctures, etc. that are left unattended can become severe problems in a very short amount of time, which is why I imagine that they were so thorough.

You made the right decision (;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Ah...just looked up Coban tape, pretty cool stuff! I have vet wrap and various first-aid stuff at home in a tool box...guess I should have taken that camping but I didn't. Note to self: take animal first aid box along.

Mind you since this tear was on her flank, I don't think tape would have held...one of the friends there is a nurse actually but didn't have equipment to stitch Fiona up.

My Labradork was the most upset...he isn't the sharpest tool in the box and was pretty much undone by the fact I had taken Fiona away and returned without her. Despite all our best efforts, he pretty much stayed in my truck all weekend (door open, windows down) very concerned that I would leave without him...or leave with him and come back without him. Poor guy! We all spent a lot of time coaxing him out of the truck and going for walks or swimming with him, but I think he was basically convinced it was a nefarious plot and we were going to abandon him at any minute. He didn't have a great start in life (failed foster dog) amnd tends to get concerned about things.

He was ridiculously and stupidly happy to get Fiona back when I picked her up. That was really cute.
It sounds like he has developed a close relationship with Fiona. My male Boerboel (a.k.a. South African Mastiff) is also not the sharpest tool in the shed, but that is part of his charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top