Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM

345 posts, read 916,472 times

Advertisements

My 13 year old dog is starting to have some back leg weakness. Vet can't see her for 2 weeks, he is kind of booked and I refuse to see the other doc in the office. She is not helpful at all and quite rude. Since it is not an emergency I prefer to wait for him.

Is backleg weakness just a normal part of age that strikes some dogs? If so is there a supplement to help her at all?
I also notice her eyes are getting a bit cloudy

She is a mixed breed dog I adopted from the shelter 13 years ago. She is still in good health otherwise, eats well, keeps up with the other dog, good weight and etc. I know she is getting old and there is only so much you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,322,778 times
You can give her glucosamine/chondroitin pills. I get them for my dog at GNC, without excess ingredients.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,625,891 times
glucosamine/chondroitin pills. Having just been through two older dogs and also having Phoenix who is almost 12 I will say the liquid from of these is much better absorbed by the body. yea the pills can help and I saw a small difference but a few weeks on liguid ( I used syn-flex) made a huge difference in all 3 dogs.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,514,743 times
I third the Glucosamine....but it is far from a fix. It also takes about 10 days-2 weeks for it to build up in their system. Dylan has been on it since he was around 5, he is now 9

Old 01-20-2011, 03:07 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,090,316 times
My older dogs get Glucosamine pills in the morning and Missing Link Plus in the evenings with dinner. It seems to help, they don't seem as stiff after big play days.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 4,929,786 times
In my experience with 2 of my dogs weakness in the back legs meant arthritis. I give my dogs glucosamine which does help but for pain my bulldog was on metacam which really helped with pain.

Two things that I know of that can cause cloudiness in the dogs eye or eyes can be cataracts or dry eye. Your vet should be able to determine what it is.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:10 PM

345 posts, read 916,472 times
Thanks, I will be near a GNC tomorrow and will pick it up for her.
I know it is not a fix but as long as it helps her a bit it is worth a try.
She will still go for a vet check.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,965,835 times
You can't do anything for the weakness, but you can do something to alleviate the pain of arthritis. Cosequin DS works wonders and is better than any of those other supplements you find at a Grocery Store. We have had so many senior fosters on it and have noticed huge differences. They have a human form too - Cosamin DS that works the same way. The reason I like it so much is that there are scientific studies proving that it works...it just seems to be a lot more potent than the generic supplements.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,921,781 times
i usually go with a glucose/chondrotin supliment, and ill often add omega 3 and kelp (dry skin tends to come with age too and the 3 and kelp helps )

Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,440,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
You can't do anything for the weakness, but you can do something to alleviate the pain of arthritis. Cosequin DS works wonders and is better than any of those other supplements you find at a Grocery Store. We have had so many senior fosters on it and have noticed huge differences. They have a human form too - Cosamin DS that works the same way. The reason I like it so much is that there are scientific studies proving that it works...it just seems to be a lot more potent than the generic supplements.
You actually can do something for weakness as well as the pain. To the OP: Rather than a supplement, ask you vet about Adaquin injections. That and Rimidyl for pain control is what we started our 13 year old Lab on when his arthritis was so bad we thought we were going to have to put him down. Our sweet boy was with us for a whole 2 more years because of the relief he got. Rather than having our vet give the shot, I just did it at home. It can be given Sub-Q (Under the skin) so its very easy to learn how to do it. Personally I call Adaquin a wonder drug. It extended Bandit's life. I wouldn't trade that extra time together for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs