Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM

187 posts, read 442,700 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are thinking of getting a small-breed dog, and I have my eye on the Boston Terrier or the Mini Pinscher.

Convince me why one is "better" than the other. We have three kids 11,7, and 4, respectively. We live on a large lot, but this dog will have to be a house dog for now only bc our yard isn't fenced.

Owners, offer up any advice that may help with my decision. This will be our first dog, so I want to get as much info as I can.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Both awesome breeds!

Minpins can be little terrorists, though. Not really a good dog for small children or first-time owners, IMO. They are opinionated, active, contrary and some can be nippy. Bostons were bred as family companions, and are generally more laid-back, tolerant and sturdier (although the flat face and prominent eyes make them more prone to eye injuries). Hopefully your children are well-trained about dogs, or you intend to train them.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Boston terriers HAVE to live in the house! They are sensitive to extremes in weather and many have allergies. I am part of a Boston terrier rescue group and if there is even the slightest possibility that someday you will have your dog living outside I beg you from the bottom of my heart PLEASE DO NOT GET A BOSTON.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Didn't notice the "inside for now" part of the post. Bostons are very heat sensitive, and any dog with a short coat should be an indoor dog. Most small dogs are very people-oriented and want to be with their families. Then there's the fact that thefts of dogs out of people's yards is becoming more common all the time. There are really very few dogs that should be outside dogs. I hope you'll rethink this part of it.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
neither breed will work well as an "inside for now" dog, theyboth need to be HOUSE dogs, thats where all dogs should beunless they have a reason to be outdoors (potty, playtime or because they WORK outside like livestock guardians) otherwise they should always be HOUSE dogs no matter what their breed, outside should be for fun, excersize enoyment with the family NOT where a dog shoudl live.

that being said if your not planning on turning the dog into an outside dog...id go with a boston over a min pin give your kids ages, bostons are high energy bull headed, quite stubborn and can be tough to train but ive NEVER met one that wasnt great with kids...
min pins however are also stubborn and can be hard to train but typically are also more high strung and not typiclaly good with young kids

please remember, dogs are not lawn ornaments, they are pack animals that desire to be with their people during every waking moment...dogs should not be left alone outside...

Old 10-12-2011, 03:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I also missed the "house dog for now" part....maybe it was poorly worded on your part but I don't think many on this forum are going to tell you that it's OK for ANY dog to be an "outside only" dog.

Certainly both breeds you mention (this applies to almost every dog) should be house dogs - ie part of the family and in the house with the family! I have a humungous fenced yard (the fenced area is about 1/3 acre) and four large dogs....do they want to be outside frolicking around and playing? No, they don't. They want to be wherever I - their primary human, or actually any human will do LOL - is. There's grass, trees, shade, a pond, toys, etc, outside....but that is irrelevant. They want to be where I am. Twenty minutes outside, in any combination, is about the limit.

Are you considering a puppy (more challenging) or an adult dog with a known personality from foster or a reputable breeder (probably the best option.)?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Talking More to think about...

I have to agree with everything already written. First and foremost dogs are pack animals, they want to be with their humans ALL of the time. That being said, the next part is pretty simple. The more sturdy dog for children, the Boston, hands down and isn't as yappy as the min pin. Here is some info beyond the dog...

Will you be getting one from a breeder or rescue? If a breeder, make sure you do your homework and find a reputable one. You don't want a backyard breeder (byb) or buy one from a pet store (they come from puppy mills). I or we can't stress enough to do your homework on where you make your purchase. That's why we highly recommend rescues and shelters.

A good breeder breeds for the love of the dog. Not the love of the money. BYB don't care about health, temperament etc., and that is why you need to choose your breeder so carefully. You can find good breeders through the AKC. They may not be in your area, so you may have to travel to pick up your pup. You might even have to vet on a waiting list.

There is something about saving a dog...they know and they are thankful/forever grateful. All of my rescues/shelter dogs have been. Btw, breed didn't matter. They knew you saved their life. Might sound weird, but it's true.

Well there are things for you to think about.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM

187 posts, read 442,700 times
Thank you everyone for your replies! Learned some interesting things.

The whole "inside for now" thing I guess was a bit worded wrong. I always thought larger type dogs (labs, retrievers), were more like "outdoor", while smaller breeds were "indoor." I really want my dog to stay indoors anyway (hence the wanting of a small breed).

I'm really liking the Boston..now I just need to convince the hubby (who would prefer a German Shepard).

Old 10-12-2011, 06:13 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAsRain View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! Learned some interesting things.

The whole "inside for now" thing I guess was a bit worded wrong. I always thought larger type dogs (labs, retrievers), were more like "outdoor", while smaller breeds were "indoor." I really want my dog to stay indoors anyway (hence the wanting of a small breed).

I'm really liking the Boston..now I just need to convince the hubby (who would prefer a German Shepard).
If you plan to do any airplane travel with the dog, you may want to consider that some airlines are not allowing those flat-faced (Brachycephalic) dogs on airlines.

For example: Flat-Faced Dog And Cat Breeds Being Banned From Increasing Number Of Airlines

Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
How could you say no to this face?

My minpin, Tiko.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs