U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM

106 posts, read 352,401 times

Advertisements

We need help! We adopted a 3 year old mixed breed dog (about the size of a large retriever), and we need to make a decision about whether to install an invisible fence (with a dog door into the garage) or build a fenced kennel with a run. We want to be able to leave the dog outside by itself for a couple of hours during the day.

Note that the dog came from a home where they had an invisible fence. If we installed the invisible fence, we'd include about 3 acres where he could roam; a fenced kennel & dog house would be a much smaller area.

Thoughts, ideas, rants are welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 PM

525 posts, read 2,239,349 times
Oh Golden, this is a tough one because I know you ae trying to do the best for your new pup.

A few thoughts, without judging

IF:

Pros-Wow doggie has 3 acres. IF are hidden not ruining your views. IFs are more cost effective than traditional fencing. Pup already knows the IF.

Cons-Doggie has 3 acres to wander around unsupervised-lots of unknown dangers and hard to keep him safe from said dangers. IFs may keep doggie in (no guarantee) but they DO NOT keep predators out-other dogs, humans, and wildlife-skunks, porcupines (quilling is nasty, expensive and painful)coys and bears (not sure where you live). If a pup breaks the signal and goes out of bounds, they are very less liky to break the signal get the shock to COME BACK IN-thereby keeping pup out and unsafe without your knowledge.

Kennel:

How big would you make this and how long would pup be out alone, unattended? For a mid-sized dog a 20 x 20 or larger is certainly not cruel, as long as shade, food, water, and toys are available. A raised platrom for perching is always a hit.

Traditional fencing:

Is this an option? cost? fence jumper? looks? What are the cons with this option for you?

OK, obviously, you know where I am going with the IFs-I HATE them. So many folks in our rural area have them-mostly right on a busy (?-is there one here in our small town? yes!) roads. I drive so slow around these houses because more than one pup breaks to chase cars and the owners don't give a poo. They think they are good owners because they have a IF.

My biggest issues are predators coming in, and pup not coming back in because of the shock.

Try googleing IFs and look for posts on message boards like this one I have heard and read many many stories with not so good endings.

I am interested in the others' replies.

Woofs and wags and thank you for giving you new doggie a GREAT home!!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:36 PM

302 posts, read 1,371,421 times
Smile Goldencrow

I think the IF is a great idea! The dog is already used to it so knows what to expect. I have 2 golden retrievers and will be putting IF on property we bought (6ac.) when we build. Our dogs prefer to be around us when we are outside. Right now they have the run of our fenced back yard which is 30' X 20' including the deck. I cannot wait to give them the room to really run the way they like. good luck!!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:48 PM

5,656 posts, read 18,231,473 times
If you have a big problem with coyotes and the like, I would vote for the regular fence or a kennel.
Although I do know several people who like their invisible fences. You must however, as a courtesy or according to your county codes, post notification that the dog has an invisible fence.
That is a courtesy to people walking by your property, when the dog decides to charge the IF.
My neighbor has decided he does not need such notification and I think enjoys seeing walkers jump when his aggressive coonhound charges the people walking by...
#1. reason I don't personally like the IFs... but they do work.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,808,070 times
I'm not sure, it depends on how long your dog will be outside. I personally would feel way more comfortable leaving my dogs in a kennel than in an invisible fence, but if we were going to have our dogs outside for a while I would want them to have more room to run around. I wouldn't ever leave my dogs outside unattended, but that's just me. When I was younger we had a cocker spaniel that had a doggy door so she could go run around in the yard and come inside when she wanted to. We couldn't have a fence because we lived on a golf course and the community didn't allow people that lived on the golf course to have a fenced in back yard, I guess because of looks? Anyway, we had an invisible fence for her, but we quickly realized that wasn't going to work! She had no problem at all running right through the fence to chase golf carts! I have also seen other dogs run right through those invisible fences as if nothing was even there! I guess it really all depends on the dog because I have seen many dogs that wouldn't even think about running through the invisible fence. I don't know, I would suggest a fence, but if that's not a possibility I would say the invisible fence because if your pup use to stay in an invisible fence just fine, I don't see why that would change. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:55 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,682,311 times
If those are the only 2 choices, I'd go with the kennel.

With the invisible fence, you dog has no protection - none.

With the kennel, your dog has at least minimal protection. Snakes can still get in (any poisonous ones in your area?), stinging insects can still get in, rats can still get in, and of course, if a human wants to steal your dog, all it takes is a bolt cutter.

When you say 'leave outside for a couple of hours', does that mean all day (like 8-10 hours while you're at work)? I'm not sure I'm understanding the whole picture......if it's just a few hours, why not just leave the dog inside the house?

Old 08-10-2007, 05:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,955,272 times
Retriever type dogs will go through a IF if they see what they consider prey. My sister has an IF in a small area around her house to keep her little dog from running out in the road. He won't go any further now so they don't have to put the collar on him, but he isn't a sporting dog.
Was the dog turned in because he kept going through the IF?

Old 08-10-2007, 05:40 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,624,027 times
I agree with PBM's post completely. I would feel more secure with a kennel as well. IF can be good for your puppy because he is used to that, but what if some other dog "goes through the if"? So that can be a problem...I would go with the kennel...

Good Luck.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,267,913 times
Gotta go with the kennel - again, I don't worry about my dogs getting out, but something else coming in or them busting the line in a prey drive frenzy is always a possibility....better safe than sorry....

Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,808,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Gotta go with the kennel - again, I don't worry about my dogs getting out, but something else coming in or them busting the line in a prey drive frenzy is always a possibility....better safe than sorry....
I agree with that. Even with a regular fence or a kennel, someone or something could get in, but at least your dog would be a little safer in a kennel or fence than in an invisible fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs