Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:22 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times

Advertisements

My dog Chelsea has been a wonderful and perfect dog, she is very smart and loving. She got sick about a month ago for just one day and we thought every thing was fine. She is 10 and a half by the way. She has always been a stocky short dog and rarely weighed less than 60 pounds no matter what we did to her diet and all of a sudden she lost a lot of weigh, 10 pounds in just 4 weeks. We took her to the vet on Monday and they admitted her on emergency for diabetic ketoacidosis. Her blood sugar was 672 and they put her on slow acting insulin hourly. She gained some weight back from being dehydrated, even though we have water around all the time. When I visited her yesterday, Wednesday, I saw some cloudieness in her eyes and mentioned it to the vet. Today when I went to visit her, she could hardly see at all. She could see ok on Monday and now she can hardly see. She also has a urinary tract infection and all of that is complicating a heart murmur rated 4 on a scale of 1 to 6. Chelsea is half Jack Russell and half MacNab border collie. She is my heart dog and I love her very much and hate that this is happening to such a sweet dog. We get to bring her home either tomorrow or Saturday. She and I have rarely been separated in the 10 and a half years since she came to my home. She goes to work with me and on trips with me, she is my copilot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 05:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,267 times
Feel your pain! Poor baby!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
What a shock this must have been. I'm very sorry you and she have been through this. I hope you can get her issues under control. She should adjust to her loss of vision. Just try to keep things in the same place in the house so she can find her way around. Poor girl.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,905 times
I am sorry. I have a 17 year old ShihTzu, he is blind and deaf. About two years ago I noticed that his vision was not good, about a week later, he could only see shadows. And, a month later he went deaf. Of coarse, I took him to the vet, they had no clue, no diabetes or anything. So, I am assuming that it is hereditary.

In any case, he gets along ok, I have to carry him out to the yard as there are 5 steps for him to navigate, but, sometimes he will go back up them himself. He is very independent, and really has dealt with the problem at hand.

I don't move any furniture around, and keep the house as light and bright as possible.

In Chelsea's case perhaps when her diabetes is brought under control her sight might improve, if it doesn't don't fret about it, she will manage, just as my guy does. He is an inspiration to me, if I were to go blind and deaf all within a month, I'd be a basket case!

Sorry that you are having to deal with this, she is a beautiful girl!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,217 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor baby girl. Sounds like she had a real bad episode. I would think once she gets stabilized that others things would stop being out of control. Please keep us updated on her progress. You and Chelsea are in my thoughts. She is such a little beauty.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,591,164 times
So sorry for her rapid medical issues. What a beautiful dog. I have a 10 year old blind dog. It's amazing how well they accumlate to their disability. It's harder on us humans. Is her diabetes manageable with medication? She will adjust to her blindness.

There's a thread in here somewhere where I posted some blind dog care tips. The list is from some website I found. It really helped me.

My dog has degenerative eye disease. She's got cataracts and uveitis. So far, the eye drops are keeping her eye pressures in check. She seems as happy as can be.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,336,849 times
Chelsea is beautiful. I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
I went to see Chelsea today. They have her on 8 units of insulin and it seems to be controlling her blood sugar. She comes home tomorrow, we will spend some time with the doctor and learn how to give her her shots using water. She will be restricted from any treats and exercise for a while till we get her blood sugar balanced. She has lost most of her sight and may see some shadows. I feel so sorry for her. They let me walk her around the parking lot and we sat by my truck in the shade for a while before I took her back in. She has always been kind and considerate of dogs and people with disabilities and I was going to have her certified so that we could do senior centers, now she is the one with a disability to contend with. Maybe our Molly will take on the task of being her seeing eye dog.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,813,852 times
God bless you for being Chelsea's best friend throughout the years and especially now when she will need you the most.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
She is beautiful. My childhood cocker spaniel was blind for years, she adapted really well except when Mom put up the Christmas tree and moved around the furniture.

I'm sure she'll be so happy to be back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs