Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:10 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times

Advertisements

My long hair mini dachsund is hot! This weather is brutal. I was thinking of trimming her body hair short, having the legs and paws just cleaned up and not touching the ears or tail. Will the body hair grow back for sure? I never had it cut before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 02:48 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
the coat is actually insulation for both degrees, it not only helps warm in the winter but helps keep cool in the summer...'or at least thats how its supposed to work.

unless its a "wooly" breed or has a think undercoat i generally suggest against shaving...ill trim hair aorund the but, keep the paw pads and inside the ears clean and thin out the belly but otherwise i dont suggest it.

that being said i do know many dogs that ARE happier shaved.

if your going to do it, do it now, keep an eye on her closely if she seems to do better in the heat great...if not itll grow back over fall and winter and youll knwo not to do it again next year.
a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the paws helps cool them down quicly

Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 PM

298 posts, read 704,413 times
We have rough collies and were told they should not be shaved or cut down. One of our dogs was so miserable in the summer that we just did it anyway. What a change! It was like she was 5 years younger. Even the groomer could feel the heat radiating off her skin as she was shaved.

From then on we have shaved all our collies each June (we leave a fluffy tail 'cause it's cute. They just look like smooth collies (so I don't know what the fuss is about shaving them). The fur grows back by winter and we can tell by their activity level that they are much more comfortable. People sometimes mistake them for pudgy greyhounds (except for those tails!).

Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
My long hair mini dachsund is hot! This weather is brutal. I was thinking of trimming her body hair short, having the legs and paws just cleaned up and not touching the ears or tail. Will the body hair grow back for sure? I never had it cut before.

The hair should grow back. I was a groomer and as long as her hair is not matted (dachsunds hair is usually easy to comb out) you can have her hair cut shorter, but she should not need it shaved all the way.

I have a pom and everyone says you should not shave a pom. Well, my dogs comfort is more important than it having the best show ring hair. As long as I keep him brushed out I usually shave him with a 1 comb. He looks really cute (like a bear) and he seems to appreciate it.

Make sure you go to a reputable groomer and make sure they know not to touch the ears and tail (although a little touch up on the tail and ears may make it look more uniformed).

Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Thanks everyone. She is hot even with the ac so I just want to make her more comfortable but want to make sure it will grow back. Sounds like it will so great!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
it will definatly grow back, however it mak not grow back quite the same. (odd kinks are common, or a slightly different texture.)

Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
I have my English Springer Spaniel's belly shaved for the summer. This way he can cool off more quickly be it when he spills his water bowl to lay in the puddle, lays in the dirt in the shade, or on a cool tile floor inside.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:27 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Shaved dogs CAN sunburn! So If you shave No going outside for at least 2 Weeks!! Then only in shade!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:41 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Shaved dogs CAN sunburn! So If you shave No going outside for at least 2 Weeks!! Then only in shade!

I wonder when they will make a sunscreen for dogs?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I wonder when they will make a sunscreen for dogs?
good question to ask on a forum dedicated to hairless breeds like Chinese Cresteds. those dogs can and do sunburn! IIRC, regular human sunscreen is okay for these breeds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs