Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times

Advertisements

I need to travel next month to Austin, TX. and I am really not comfortable with boarding my Mini Pin. He is a fast and slippery guy and I am fearful that people underestimate how quickly he can get away if he really wants to. I have seen people that have handled him not get how he can be and this makes me realize that I have to take him with me.

I would just like to know as my MP is under 10 lbs., over a year old, and will be traveling with me in Coach as to what to expect. My fears run from one of the Airport Security people demanding I put my dog and his crate through the X-ray machine to sitting for hours on the Tarmac due to flight delay issues and making my baby suffer. I called a few airlines and they advised me to not sedate the dog which makes me worried that he will whine and we'll both be kicked off our flight!

Also, what Airlines and Pet friendly hotels do you feel are the most accommodating?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
you might want to post this under Travel forum too!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:46 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
I haven't flown with my dog b/c she's too large to fit under the seat (lol), but I know that Northwest has a "Priority Pet Program": Northwest Airlines nwa.com - Products & Services - Cargo - Priority Pet.

Here's some general info. from the FAA re flying with pets in the passenger cabin: FAA - Pets in the Passenger Cabin.

Hope all goes well for both of you!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Thank you Wanderlust07 and Katie1 for your helpful replies! I'm going to check out those links and also x-post to the Travel forum!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 AM

153 posts, read 637,343 times
I have so much experience with this it's not even funny. I have traveled everywere (including a 10 hour trip to France!) with one of my dogs, Frankie. First, relax because nothing will be as bad as you think.

When you get to the airport, you'll check in and hand your health certificate to the agent. Oh, and you will have notified the airline ahead of time because there is a 2 dog limit in-cabin on almost all carriers and if you don't have a reservation you'll be SOL. Ok, so you hand them the certificate (which, in all honesty, they probably won't really care about, but it's your first time so I'll just say to go by-the-book), but they don't need to see the dog at this point, and your off to securtity checkpoint land.

When you get close to the scanner (seriously, wait until you're almost next up) prepare yourself first (shoes off, keys and whatnots in the basket, etc), and then take little doggie out of the bag. Most importantly, DON'T RUSH!!! Don't let anyone make you feel like the little bit of extra time you're taking is an inconvenience (and they will). You just take your time, get him out of the bag, place his bag on the x-ray belt with your stuff and walk through the scanner like you've done it a million times. They'll mostly just comment on how cute he is and ask if he bites because they'll want to pet him-trust me they all do.

Next, he's back in the bag. Again, take your time!!! (also, don't even think of taking him out anywhere in the airport other than going through security) and now you'll both wait for the plane. Now, don't announce to the flight attendants that you have an animal. If you do, they will INSIST that he stay on the floor under the front of your seat in his bag for the entire flight. Your little guy might get nervous, so you may want to put in him you lap and cover him with that flimsy blanket in the most inconspicuous way possible the second the plane is in the air (if you have a soft sided carrier this will be a lot easier than with a hard sided carrier which will be big and cumbersome and not as snuggly). You might not want to tell your seatmate either, just don't make a big deal out of it. Your dog will feed off your energy so keep it calm and nonchalant.

If you have any other questions, I'm more than happy to answer if I can.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
I have so much experience with this it's not even funny. I have traveled everywere (including a 10 hour trip to France!) with one of my dogs, Frankie. First, relax because nothing will be as bad as you think.

When you get to the airport, you'll check in and hand your health certificate to the agent. Oh, and you will have notified the airline ahead of time because there is a 2 dog limit in-cabin on almost all carriers and if you don't have a reservation you'll be SOL. Ok, so you hand them the certificate (which, in all honesty, they probably won't really care about, but it's your first time so I'll just say to go by-the-book), but they don't need to see the dog at this point, and your off to securtity checkpoint land.

When you get close to the scanner (seriously, wait until you're almost next up) prepare yourself first (shoes off, keys and whatnots in the basket, etc), and then take little doggie out of the bag. Most importantly, DON'T RUSH!!! Don't let anyone make you feel like the little bit of extra time you're taking is an inconvenience (and they will). You just take your time, get him out of the bag, place his bag on the x-ray belt with your stuff and walk through the scanner like you've done it a million times. They'll mostly just comment on how cute he is and ask if he bites because they'll want to pet him-trust me they all do.

Next, he's back in the bag. Again, take your time!!! (also, don't even think of taking him out anywhere in the airport other than going through security) and now you'll both wait for the plane. Now, don't announce to the flight attendants that you have an animal. If you do, they will INSIST that he stay on the floor under the front of your seat in his bag for the entire flight. Your little guy might get nervous, so you may want to put in him you lap and cover him with that flimsy blanket in the most inconspicuous way possible the second the plane is in the air (if you have a soft sided carrier this will be a lot easier than with a hard sided carrier which will be big and cumbersome and not as snuggly). You might not want to tell your seatmate either, just don't make a big deal out of it. Your dog will feed off your energy so keep it calm and nonchalant.

If you have any other questions, I'm more than happy to answer if I can.
Great advice. I put my poodle in my lap when flying too. He sleeps better on my lap. If your dog is used to traveling in a closed carrier, you'll have no problem. One thing I'd like to ad, some airlines, such as American do not even require a health certificate, so before you spend the money, call ahead. Most airlines, never even look at the health certificate.

greenie

Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
As far as Hotels........I got a "traveling with my pet" book from one of the larger book stores. It is a tremendous help.
Red Roof Inns have never charged us for our pets.
Neither does a Howard Johnsons.
Some other places it is a nominal fee of 8 to 10 dollars. Some don't want dogs at all!!!
We enjoyed staying at a nice clean Quality Inn that was pet friendly.
Most of the Days Inns are also Pet Friendly with a small fee. Those are the four hotels I keep in mind when I don't have my handy book along with me.
I must say that at the RR and the QI.........we didn't know in the least that other dogs had been in the pet friendly room.
Unfortunately sometimes you do!
I'd travel with the book. As far as the plane........since your dog sounds like he can be a bit active.......one with energy. I'd ask your vet about something that calms him couldn't be all that bad. Probably best for you and him.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
As far as Hotels........I got a "traveling with my pet" book from one of the larger book stores. It is a tremendous help.
Red Roof Inns have never charged us for our pets.
Neither does a Howard Johnsons.
Some other places it is a nominal fee of 8 to 10 dollars. Some don't want dogs at all!!!
We enjoyed staying at a nice clean Quality Inn that was pet friendly.
Most of the Days Inns are also Pet Friendly with a small fee. Those are the four hotels I keep in mind when I don't have my handy book along with me.
I must say that at the RR and the QI.........we didn't know in the least that other dogs had been in the pet friendly room.
Unfortunately sometimes you do!
I'd travel with the book. As far as the plane........since your dog sounds like he can be a bit active.......one with energy. I'd ask your vet about something that calms him couldn't be all that bad. Probably best for you and him.
I've stayed at Quality Inns and Days Inns without a pet and I've found all of them to be nice and clean. I was given quotes of $150.00 for a pet fee at some places so 8 to 10 dollars is much better!

I'm going to look for that book you mentioned as I could use a guide being a first timer.

I will be seeing my vet at least 10 days before I board the plane and I will ask about something to calm my little guy.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
Certificate? I was told to get something from the Vet that shows he's had his shots up-to-date. Is that what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga
Most importantly, DON'T RUSH!!! Don't let anyone make you feel like the little bit of extra time you're taking is an inconvenience (and they will). You just take your time, get him out of the bag, place his bag on the x-ray belt with your stuff and walk through the scanner like you've done it a million times. They'll mostly just comment on how cute he is and ask if he bites because they'll want to pet him-trust me they all do.
I do worry I'll be rushed! He doesn't bite, in fact, he loves people, so hopefully this will be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga
Now, don't announce to the flight attendants that you have an animal. If you do, they will INSIST that he stay on the floor under the front of your seat in his bag for the entire flight. Your little guy might get nervous, so you may want to put in him you lap and cover him with that flimsy blanket in the most inconspicuous way possible the second the plane is in the air (if you have a soft sided carrier this will be a lot easier than with a hard sided carrier which will be big and cumbersome and not as snuggly). You might not want to tell your seatmate either, just don't make a big deal out of it. Your dog will feed off your energy so keep it calm and nonchalant.
Thanks for mentioning to not mention I have a pet with me! I do worry that someone is going to complain and be upset with me!

What carrier do you recommend? I was going to get the "Original Sherpa", but I saw several reviews that the mesh in the bag can be easily torn by a feisty pet who can then escape into the cabin! Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
P.S. Sorry I missed your post and responded to other prior to yours! I don't know how it happened!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:10 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
A lot of hotels add an expensive "pet" fee. When I traveled with my poodle, I would just sneak him into the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs