U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 14,758 times

Advertisements

My Corgi is 9. He has grown up with Allie the 15 yr old Bichon. Never have had a problem with Duke (our Corgi)'s aggression with our pets until 6 months or so ago?? we have 2 other dogs and one cat. Everyone has lived in a crazy harmony until recently.

Duke has attacked Allie 3 times now. Allie does not eat near him, not even in the same room as she is on a special diet due to allergies. All dogs are neutered

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We love our Duke but this aggression has come from no where and we dont want it to continue or grow
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Did I post this correctly?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,596,201 times
You might want to take him to the vet and make sure there is no medical issue going on. I know when Rita isn't feeling to well she will go off on Finn, who is also a Corgi.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,475,093 times
Which one has been the "top dog" until now?

My guess is Allie - females usually are. Now she is getting old and possibly not in the greatest health, and Duke is taking this opportunity to move up in rank.

Vet/wellness checks are not a bad idea. But you may have to start separating and managing them going forward, because a little old dog deserves peace and quiet. What level of training? Has Duke broken skin or is it just noise and brattieness? What are they doing when this happens? What's your reaction when it does?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Duke has always been top dog. Allie never challenged Duke when we brought him home. Allie is the little sofa princess.

They can be in the family room, in the hallway. She can be just passing by him when it happens.

Duke is healthy and well.

Duke is very obedient. He listenes to a fault as in if food is near and you tell him no, he wont eat it untill he has permission..........

Duke and Tot( 2yr old Jack Russ and Beagle) are the two that try to top the other in top dog status but has not been this aggressive. Duke ant Tot are more competitive with each other.

The other dog Samantha, she is 15 too. we resuced her. SHe has mammory gland cancer and we are her hospice home. Duke leaves her a lone too.

Duke it seems has started targeting just Allie and he has known/lived with her the longest.

I appreciate any thoughts. Thank so much

Old 08-20-2011, 08:02 AM

Yes he broke the skin on the tip of her ear on this last incident

Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,696,729 times
Maybe something is wrong with Allie and he is picking up on her weakness?? I'm just guessing. I would bring both in for a check up to eliminate health issues first. Ask your vet for suggestions while you're there. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 AM

ALlie has been sick. WIth Bronchitis. She is also pretty deaf and almost blind. We kept her seperated from the other animals. The aggression was before and after the illness.

I am just wondering "why now?" and why Allie, she does not seem to provoke. I saw the whole event unfold on this most recent incident and all Allie was doing was passing by Duke in the hallway. He bit her 3 times. the last bite he got the tip of her ear. There hasnt been another incident since. It comes out of the blue and doenst happen for a while at a time. It is inconsistant and there doesnt seem to be a constant variable
My sister in law had a dog , I dont remember the bread but it was a lg herding dog. He became agressive when he was old . Duke is 9 and should have several good years left.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,696,729 times
Maybe Duke is starting to get arthritis or something that he doesn't show symptoms of except through his behavior? Don't know why it would just be towards your one dog. I would get a check up first, then maybe have a behaviourist come in and evaluate if you can.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,672,757 times
I'd really have to watch them to see how the fights become fights before I could tell you who the instigator is. A lot of times, people don't realize that the "sweet, innocent" dog always getting attacked is actually the instigator.

You did mention that Annie was the "sofa queen." I'm curious if all your dogs have access to the sofa or if it's just Annie. That alone would indicate if Annie has special access or privileges the other dogs don't have (in their minds - not necessarily your mind).

I don't know how healthy the two are at this moment but I highly recommend walking them together (unless they can't be put together at all - which would require a different approach) on very long walks. Walking provides a structured environment that reinforces the pack sense and provides a more mentally sound activity then running around the house/backyard chasing one's tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs