Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

We are delighted that our new rescue Toby likes to play fetch. Only thing is he likes it too much and we are having a hard time getting him to stop.

He has outside tennis balls and inside tennis balls. When we throw it, he eagerly brings in back, drops it at our feet, quivers his little tail and doesn't take his eyes off the ball. When I get tired of this game, I have put the ball out of his sight but he goes bonkers all over the house trying to find it. I was afraid he would have a stroke.

I have tried ignoring him but he keeps putting it right at us, even throwing it in my lap when I'm sitting down. Last night he actually laid it at the feet of one of our cats. Kitty was not amused.

He brings it to bed and keeps it close. he puts it behind me while I'm in the kitchen cooking and I'm afraid I'm gonna trip and break my neck.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
My dog is like this with certain toys. They go in the closet after playtime and then we take a short walk to "rewire" his brain onto other things.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Maybe when you take it away you could give him something tasty to work on like a knuckle bone or a stuffed Kong. I bet when he's been in your house a little longer he'll "branch out" in his interests and won't focus so much on the tennis ball.
I was forgetting he was a Bichon. Maybe something a little smaller than a knuckle bone! But you get what I mean.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Maybe when you take it away you could give him something tasty to work on like a knuckle bone or a stuffed Kong. I bet when he's been in your house a little longer he'll "branch out" in his interests and won't focus so much on the tennis ball.
I was forgetting he was a Bichon. Maybe something a little smaller than a knuckle bone! But you get what I mean.
Mine is half Bichon! Perhaps some of this "obsession" is a breed trait?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:45 PM

265 posts, read 952,605 times
We have the same problem with our German Shepherd. She loves playing fetch and takes her Kong with her everywhere. If she's not getting enough attention she will put it behind you on your seat or nudge you with it. She's a nut!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
Kona is a major ball dog. We give her what we think is enough play time and then we tell her "three more" and count out 3 tosses, then we tell her "last one" and we trot in the house and get a treat. She's not allowed to have balls in the house, between the slobber ball marks on the walls, dropping the gooey ball on the coffee table/laptop/company's lap and way too many broken glasses ball is now an outdoor sport.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 PM

483 posts, read 854,194 times
lol! I have the same problem with my poodle, Trevor. He LOVES to play fetch but he loves it a little too much... he just won't stop once we start. He wakes me up when I'm sleeping by whimpering and whinning, which becomes increasingly impatient when I continue to sleep. He won't stop until I start playing fetch with his plush carrot or squirrel. I have to end up giving him a treat and then hiding his favorite toys for a few hours.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,663 times
My Staffie is the same, we keep playing with him until he stops. Hubby finds it a pain if he wants to watch football, so I take Duke out for a walk. That suits everyone.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Yes, you are mean to not want to play ball 24-7 with your poor lil' dog! You need four kids, that wears the dog out, even a tireless dog, finally breaks.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times
Put the toys up. The walk or some obedience is a nice transition. Even a highly driven crazy dog can learn to be mellow in the house. If you have multiples it gets real old having toys pushed in your face while you are trying to read or work on the computer.....

Tennis balls. Hard on the teeth and new info coming out they may contain carcinogens that cause mouth cancer in dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs