U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM

83 posts, read 496,080 times

Advertisements

My dog is about 5yrs. She has seen 3 different vets. The first one gave her all her first two yrs of shots and spayed her. The second vet was more of a holistic vet, he recommended staying away from optional shots. Don't know what those were tho. Not rabies I guess.

So we move to a new town, I bring all her records in and they say she needs her rabies (which I knew) and here are these others optional things. I just stuck with the rabies. Went in again 3wks ago for rabies and they recommended have a teeth cleaning. They quote me the price and I save up to have it done. When I call to make the appointment they say 'oh she needs her rabies' I'm like she just got it when you gave me the teeth cleaning estimate -duh. I figure they just hadn't updated things yet. I go in for the appointment this morning after having my dog fast all night. The lady we see is telling me that my dog needs these others shots if we want to proceed with the cleaning. They were another $70. (bordatella & parvo)

We left. I don't know if she was thinking she had me over a barrel or what. If my girl really needed the shots why was I not told at the rabie appointment or when I called to schedule the cleaning? I'm pretty mad. If she legitimately needs the shots I get it. Shouldn't I have known/been told before the morning of?

This is not my first visit with this vet, the cleaning would have been my dogs 3rd visit. And last year I spent over a $1000 on my cat there.

Frustrating. So can anyone tell my the required or mandatory shots my dog really needs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM

9,353 posts, read 19,282,456 times
i transport a LOT of rescue dogs, so my own dogs are kept up to date on all of their vaccinations.... rabies, distemper, parvo, etc. etc. .... but i don't do kennel cough (bordatella) because a dog can still come down with it even after having been vaccinated.... it's sort of like a human cold virus.... so many mutations and variations that it is impossible to protect against them all.... that said, my dogs' immune systems are in great shape, so i don't worry about kc all that much.....

Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM

3,678 posts, read 11,979,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123catlady View Post
My dog is about 5yrs. She has seen 3 different vets. The first one gave her all her first two yrs of shots and spayed her. The second vet was more of a holistic vet, he recommended staying away from optional shots. Don't know what those were tho. Not rabies I guess.

So we move to a new town, I bring all her records in and they say she needs her rabies (which I knew) and here are these others optional things. I just stuck with the rabies. Went in again 3wks ago for rabies and they recommended have a teeth cleaning. They quote me the price and I save up to have it done. When I call to make the appointment they say 'oh she needs her rabies' I'm like she just got it when you gave me the teeth cleaning estimate -duh. I figure they just hadn't updated things yet. I go in for the appointment this morning after having my dog fast all night. The lady we see is telling me that my dog needs these others shots if we want to proceed with the cleaning. They were another $70. (bordatella & parvo)

We left. I don't know if she was thinking she had me over a barrel or what. If my girl really needed the shots why was I not told at the rabie appointment or when I called to schedule the cleaning? I'm pretty mad. If she legitimately needs the shots I get it. Shouldn't I have known/been told before the morning of?

This is not my first visit with this vet, the cleaning would have been my dogs 3rd visit. And last year I spent over a $1000 on my cat there.

Frustrating. So can anyone tell my the required or mandatory shots my dog really needs?
Here is an excellent article that will give you the guideline you are looking for.

Canine Vaccinations: A Summary of Which Vaccines are Needed by Your Dog and Which are Not | Suite101.com

Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,749,635 times
The only shot required by law in most areas is the rabies. Depending on jurisdiction this can be an annual or typically an every third year requirement.

Combo vaccines (DHPP, DHLPP, etc) used to be given annually. More vets and pet owners are opting to do these every other year, on the three year cycle or even just the single series when the dog is young. I personally give my dogs this injection myself every third year, the cost is very cheap online or at an aminal supply store. If your vet charges more than $25 for this shot, you are getting ripped off.

Bordatella is a waste of time and money, I would only do this if necessary for boarding the animal.

Keep in mind that some vets are in business to take care of animals and some are only in business to make money. IMO, must haves for a dog are an annual exam, rabies/DHPP every three years and heartworm preventatives. You can tell very quickly when a vet is using your sentiment to pad their bank accounts. I suggest you find a good vet that understands that you want to provide your animal with good care but presents you with all of the options in accordance with your budget.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,002,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123catlady View Post

I follow Dr. Jean Dodd's protocol. Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

The only vaccination required by law is rabies.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM

83 posts, read 496,080 times
Thank you all. I think I will take our visit as my cue to find another vet.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM

5,026 posts, read 14,817,759 times
This site is great:

Critter Advocacy

Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 AM

3,630 posts, read 14,133,707 times
Many vets and establishments refuse to take dogs in the back unless they have bordatella and, now, flu! I was appalled at a recent visit where my dog HAD to have surgery ASAP and they would not do without a flu shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs