Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:32 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,060,049 times

Advertisements

My Yorkshire Terrier recently turned 4 years old, so is this the age that dogs tend to slow down~? Seems like lately he will play ball to eat his meals and then not much longer afterwards. He really enjoyed playing ball for treats and wanting to go in 5 mins after he done eating and ball play and this has me worried a bit. Otherwise, he's a fast boy chasing the ball or flyer (frisbee-like). I hate to see him slow down and age Also, is 4 years old a good age to get another (a neighbor told me it is who has some sort of white fluffy dog that looks like a miniature collie, but isn't)~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 03:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,627,236 times
I wish my 3 yr old pei would calm down, lol. Some dogs have more mellow personalities, they dont need to run as much, jmo but they are all different, by all means Id get another

dogs are very social animals, they enjoy company and if you are not home, they love a brother or sister...My oldest pei was alone for 3 years, when I got 2 puppies he was overjoyed

My old dog Sunny age 13 with new puppy Corky
Attached Thumbnails
Aging Dogs-2011-04-20-puppies-buddha-cork_0073.jpg  

Old 09-11-2011, 04:11 PM

He came to see what I was doing in the kitchen, but then went back in the living room and he is sleeping on a big ole pillow. He's always been a calm Yorkie and not yappy until someone comes over or the mailman arrives. I've tried to get another dog and he seemed to ignore me or act uninterested when we met another dog.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,608,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I wish my 3 yr old pei would calm down, lol. Some dogs have more mellow personalities, they dont need to run as much, jmo but they are all different, by all means Id get another

dogs are very social animals, they enjoy company and if you are not home, they love a brother or sister...My oldest pei was alone for 3 years, when I got 2 puppies he was overjoyed

My old dog Sunny age 13 with new puppy Corky

OMG your dogs made me think of my brothers late dog Buster, such a regal tough looking boy but really a big goof ball and a bit of a coward. However he would protect his family and their property.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
My Yorkshire Terrier recently turned 4 years old, so is this the age that dogs tend to slow down~? Seems like lately he will play ball to eat his meals and then not much longer afterwards. He really enjoyed playing ball for treats and wanting to go in 5 mins after he done eating and ball play and this has me worried a bit. Otherwise, he's a fast boy chasing the ball or flyer (frisbee-like). I hate to see him slow down and age Also, is 4 years old a good age to get another (a neighbor told me it is who has some sort of white fluffy dog that looks like a miniature collie, but isn't)~?

WOW that seems young for a small terrier to slow down. None of my dogs slowed down that young and Jazz ( cattle dog X border collie) was still non stop into her teens. I still recall at 5yrs a woman asking me how old my "puppy" was when I said 5 years she then said well she certainly is puppy like.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:38 PM

I hope he's not slowing down, and I might of phrased my question wrong. But I was wondering what age do dogs slow down~?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I hope he's not slowing down, and I might of phrased my question wrong. But I was wondering what age do dogs slow down~?

It really depends on the breed and I think diet and exercise have a lot to do with it too,

Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,627,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
OMG your dogs made me think of my brothers late dog Buster, such a regal tough looking boy but really a big goof ball and a bit of a coward. However he would protect his family and their property.
Thank you- theyre great. Corkys a clown but thinks he's tuff..That pic of Sunny at 14 just b4 he died..he was great and got to meet the new pups.

It really is great to have more than 1- esp. if you work- they keep ea. other company.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,669,104 times
I've got a 4 year old Sheltie (The Miniture Collie you were talking about) that is so hyper you can hardly pet her

Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I've got a 4 year old Sheltie (The Miniture Collie you were talking about) that is so hyper you can hardly pet her
This isn't a Sheltie and I know what they look like. I can't describe this dog, but it is snow dog breed with a skinny snout. Any ideas~?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs