Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times

Advertisements

ok, so its happend...
ive fallen in love

now ive always been a bully lover, staffies, amstaffs, APBT's...
but theres something about the american bulldog that just makes me grin ear to ear.

ive worked with a few on a semi regular basis in the doggy daycare and as a dog trainer...however ive not been around enough to get a real good idea...
and of course the internet is a neverending source of conflicting information...
so id love to hear from Am-bulldog owners (or those otherwise experienced with the breed) as to their experiences.

in terms of what im looking for...
a medium-large breed
stocky
athletic
good all around "farm" dog (assuming socilized and trained form day one) protective but not unwarrentedly agressive (assuming properly trained and socilized)
low grooming (shedding and rooling is OK)
a visual deterant (i dont need a dog to protect me, but looking like it could is a big bonus)
inteligent (hard headed is fine, keeps me on my toes)
good with other animals within its pack (again assuming properly socilized and trained, doesnt however have to be automatically frinedly with every strange dog it meets)

im planning a male and he would of course be neutered.

my BIGGEST concern is the risk of male on male dog agression...
i have a male chinese crested and obvioulsy if something were to happen, we know who the winner would be. i know every dog is an individual, but id like to avoid dog agression within the pack rather than having to manage it 24/7.
my male crestie is very playfull and high energy...hes submissive in posture when playing (always offering belly, extending the playbow, ect) but he can be in your face about it (ie hell literally throw himself onto his back infront of a frinedly dog...and follow it up with a race around the yard in shere excitment)

so how same sex and dog agressive are american bulldogs as a breed as a whole?!
is it a common problem.
he would be the only large house dog... (i do plan on adding 2 livestock guardians in a few years once my little farm is set up)

thoughts?! input, funny anncedotes?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,671 times
Default My American Bulldog - Scott Breed

Spanky weighs in at 73 lbs. He was snipped before adulthood and did not get his full growth. He can be a handful and does keep me on my toes.

He can pull Diesel around (Diesel is a Dogue De Bordeaux/Bulldog mix - we think - doggy DNA test is still out) and weighs in at 80lbs. When I say he can pull him around, I mean they play tug of war with the Kong toys and when Diesel lays down (hoping to get the upper hand) Spanky will pull him around the house. It does not matter if he's on the hardwood floor or carpet, Spanky pulls him. It's a hoot to watch.

Athletic, yes...very energetic dog. Needs his walk or lots of run time in the backyard to work off energy. I have also trained him on a treadmill, so in the winter, he can get his exercise, too.

They do need to be socialized, especially if you are going to have them as your farm dog. Actually, that was their original breeding. He (Spanky) came to me as a foster and that was three and a half years ago. I cannot imagine life without him. He's very special to me. He's my boy.

He did have some fear issues, that we have worked through. He had been abandoned in his first home. Then a rescue got him and adopted him out. Then the gal was losing her home (down economy) and I fostered him and have had him since. The first thing we built together was trust and have never looked back. I think he was about a year old when I got him.

He did well adjusting to my pack. Although I had females at the time. However, over the last year, I have lost both girls...

He absolutely hates water, so I use a "waterless" bath. It's a spray, then wipe-down. I also use wipes for dogs. It makes his coat shine and again it's without water. Even when he loves to roll in the dirt, I dust him off then he gets his waterless bath. Oh when it rains, I practically have to drag him out to do his business. BUT the upside, he LOVES to come in and go through the "wipe-down." I know he loves the attention.

I use a fine comb (blade) during shedding season. He again, loves the attention. I didn't realize I would actually get hair but he sheds very little. He has a very thin coat. When he got here, he actually had patches where he was hairless. I think it was due to stress. BUT he's easy to maintain!

Visual deterant - he's your man! That boy would lay down his life for me, not that I would ever ask that of him...there is no greater love than when a friend would lay down their life. I would never put him in harms way. I am willing to do the dirty work. That is why my quote is, "forget the dogs, beware of the owner!" However, he is a wonderful alarm system and that is all I ask of him. Therefore, he get's kibble, water and a roof over his head

Intelligent - He knows come by the word, hand signal, whistle and his name, sit, and will sit for food and a treat, (also for his treat he will shake and high five,) down, stay, and another trick or two. Has manners when he wants up in my lap (yes, 73 lbs lap dog) or if I allow him to sleep with me. He knows he must wait to be invited. He knows the rules and follows them.

If I am upset, he is by my side in a heartbeat...and will not leave until I calm down. If he thinks I am in danger, he will not leave my side, either.

When we walk, he walks beside me. He is good with his pack-mates although I will say this. I recently acquired Diesel (late July.) I did not think we would have aggressive issues but I have had to step in and supervise these two more than once. Actually, I supervise them all the time. There is more to it than Spanky my Am Bulldog being aggressive. My Diesel is a bully, too. Therefore they can feed off of each other. However, Diesel is very, very playful and will belly up in an instant. He can also instigate things. So it is a two way street.

If you are getting an Am Bulldog from a puppy, your situation will be a little different. Spanky is four years old. Diesel is a rescue from a shelter and is five years old. Spanky was use to females (and they were the alpha's).

He and Diesel get along well but because they are both bullies, they have to be supervised. They love to wrestle and act like sibs. My females were older and could not play with Spanky the way Diesel can, so I actually think Diesel is teaching Spanky how to be a dog inside a "playful" pack.

BTW, they hunt together in the backyard, looking for vermin. You cannot breed out instinct. It is there just under the surface waiting to come out. Vermin bring it out in my two. Squirrels don't have a chance in my yard. Birds are in danger, too.

Since neither dog like water, I take a water bottle out with me. If they begin to fixate or jump up on the fence, I give a warning. If they listen, they get praise. If they don't, they get a squirt from the bottle. They are good listeners because neither like water. Both are very sensitive. Commands work very well and water is used very little. If I only need to get their attention, I will spray it up and over them (not a direct hit) like it's raining, that get's their attention and they are ready to listen...and move on. Very little use of water (don't want to over use it.) Smart dogs, easy to break their train of thought and get them back on track. I love it!

My American Bulldog is loving, comical, strong-willed, longer fuse than the (APBT) and longer legs too, Be careful, he will herd you (run circles around you or other animals). Sometimes confused with the APBT but those are just uneducated people. He snores when he's asleep, when he's awake, when he's happy. He snorts like a bull, when he's excited he breathes like a bulldog. At first, I thought he had asthma. Ha, I was wrong...it's just his breed.

He will make you laugh until tears stream from your eyes or your belly hurts. Keep your camera or video recorder close by. You'll need it. They can be a real hoot. Mine gets so happy, he does the kidney bean dance, you know where his tail wags so hard his body shakes and forms a kidney bean?

I love it when he fluffs his pillow, it looks like he digging it up from China and using his whole body. I need to get that on film. Sometimes, I will come in and it's half way across the room, but I'll tell you it's the most fluffy dog pillow I've every seen.

Sorry so long, just trying to answer your questions...

"From wet noses to wiggly butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family!"

The first pic is Spanky alone. The second is Spanky and Diesel...
Attached Thumbnails
american bulldog folks...what are they REALY like-tank.jpg   american bulldog folks...what are they REALY like-kodak-moments-211.jpg  

Old 09-23-2011, 05:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Great answer by LuvABull!

I know a couple of ABs from agility....both bought as puppies from the same breeder, and well-trained & socialized. Very very nice dogs although the female (the owner has a male and female, not littermates) is a bit reactive with other dogs.

Last month I took a mama dog and her puppies that had been chained behind a house. Kept her at a friend's empty house for a few days before I found a rescue that could take them. She was sweet, sweet sweet and absolutely relaxed around other dogs, even as starved and skinny as she was, and with her puppies present. There was debate about whether she was AB or a mix. This is her on petfinder all fattened up by her foster family and apparently with a pending home.

Tell you what, if I were looking for another dog, I would have taken her in a heartbeat.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 AM

thanks!
spanky is adorable!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Hope is pretty darn cute too!
Foxy, any particular reason you've decided on a male?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 AM

my female chinese crested is bullheaded with other females, she doesnt start fights with other females, but she thinks she can finnish them and id rather not put any of them in that postion...especially given the size difference...
my personal experience has been female on female dog agression is more common even after spay...
she ADORES males though, i used to take her to the dog park 9before it turned into a "petting zoo" and shed avoid other females, but was all over the boys, she will only play with males.

my male chinese crested pretty much gets along with everyone, (male female, intact or not size doesnt matter) hes exhuberant but not agressive with other dogs on any level.
i also, while i love my female crestie, and shes my heart, seem to get along better with male dogs overall. so i figure a neutered male would probably settle into our little pack a little easier.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Gotcha! I'm looking forward to hearing about a new addition!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,671 times
Default Spanky smiling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
thanks!
spanky is adorable!
Thank you! I love his smile!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM

38,867 posts, read 22,854,503 times
LuvABull,

You have two handsome boys there. Spanky looks like my sister's dog, only he's a pit bull, not an American bulldog (I must confess that I really can't tell the difference at first glance. ).

I have to agree with you that Spanky has a GREAT doggy smile!

Last edited by Dennis P; 09-24-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs