Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 PM

66 posts, read 161,943 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've got so many dogs and we are being relocated from Southern Europe to Dallas.
Here where we live now, no one has carpet at home, not even many rugs. So... I'm not used to carpet cleaning, and the simple idea of having light colored carpet all around the house plus 3 of my dogs going around scares me so much!

This may sound quite simple, but I need some advice on what kind of products or procedures you use if your dogs for any reason pee where they are not suposed to, how about dog's hair...

I guess I will have to change my way of living a little and not allow them to follow me all around the house at least during the first months...

ANy help will be very appreciated, TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,063,796 times
any possibility of replacing the carpet with hard surface flooring??

Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 PM

66 posts, read 161,943 times
Well, that's what I first thought, but husband doesn't want to remove carpet from bedrooms, game and media rooms.

For what I've seen, most houses got different flooring all around the house: kitchen has tile, formal dining room hardwood, entrance ceramic tile too... and maybe living room with carpet, too.

I'm used to marble and ceramic tile floors downstairs and hardwood upstairs but weather here never goes under 50 during winter, so houses are built and made very different

Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,457,496 times
I use a small carpet cleaner called Bissell Little Green for cleaning up small areas. It works pretty well. They have a cleaning solution to put in it that's especially made for pet stains. We just moved last year and we have a list of things we're working on. Eventually I'd like to take up the carpet and refinish the hardwood floors. It's just easier to keep clean in general, especially with animals.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,075,799 times
Get a great vacuum, there is a thread somewhere in the dog forum about good vacuums for dog hair. I'm amazed what comes out of my carpet every week, not just dog fur, but dirt. I also have a small carpet cleaner (bissell powerbrush). It only takes a few minutes to clean up dog and human messes with it.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,325,085 times
I've lived on light-colored carpets for all of Bandit's life (10 years) and we've never had any trouble. Ensure your dog is house-trained. Take your shoes off when you come in. Be prepared to wipe paws on rainy days. Steer him clear of obvious muddy spots when you're out. Vacuum weekly. Spot clean when necessary -- immediately! Simple Solution works great! Buy or borrow a carpet steam cleaner and use it once or twice a year.

I know we're in the minority, but Bandit and much prefer carpet over hard-surfaced floors.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM

574 posts, read 1,066,510 times
You could also possibly train your dogs to stay out of the rooms with carpet. My sister in law managed to train her dogs to avoid the livingroom and dining room and walk around on the tile instead. I hate carpeting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs