Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,065,244 times

Advertisements

Lately, my Yorkie isn't eating much of his Pro-Plan dog food. Now and then I put something on top of it to entice him to eat, but that hasn't helped much but a few nibbles. I had a sample of B.G. Chicken (Before Grain) by [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green ! important]Merrick[/color][/color] and he loved that, tho I had given numerous of nibbles to him as a treat while [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]playing[/color][/color]. Then I put some in his food and he loved it until he noticed it was food and not treats. He's a smart Yorkie. Anyways, do you all think he's tired of his Pro-Plan dog food~? I've switched so many times and too many to count because he wouldn't eat or eat much. He's been on this one for the longest and was suggested by a friend of mine who shows Yorkies. Anyways, any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,329,190 times
Switch foods if you want and think the dog will respond to something new, but I say go to timed feedings and let the dog work it out for himself. Could be that he's just not hungry. Or it could be that he thinks that if he ignores the food in his bowl, you'll make up the difference with tasty treats. (If he's refusing the food in his bowl, do NOT reward h im by giving him treats.) If you're truly worried that he's not getting enough sustenance, try enticing him with a little bit of wet mixed into the dry. Or you can add some warm water to his kibble to make a gravy and moisten things up.

And if he is "off" in any of his other vital signs -- peeing, pooping, drinking, mood, or energy -- then take him to the vet.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM

He's never been the type of dog to eat when you put the food down. He has to play ball or something to get him to eat, and normally he does. Other than that, he has no issues to go see the Vet. We've been numerous of times for his eating issues and he eats what they give him and they want me to put him on their Science Diet food, but I didn't.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,329,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
He's never been the type of dog to eat when you put the food down. He has to play ball or something to get him to eat, and normally he does.
That's why I'd put him on timed feedings. When you put the food down, do you leave it down all day for him to eat as he pleases?

Timed feedings are a great way to rectify food-pickiness in my dog. But obviously I don't know your dog, and you'll have a better sense of what's up with him. Maybe he truly just doesn't like the pro-plan any more and wants something different.

(By the way, I wasn't urging you to rush to the vet simply because he was off his food. I would only encourage that if there were other signs as well...like not wanting to drink, or being listless or depressed. One thing at a time is usually no big deal, but a few of those issues happening at that same time can signal something is wrong.)

Old 10-02-2011, 11:44 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,393,324 times
I would suggest that you take some time to read the info at the following link from the Dog Food Project:

The Dog Food Project - Introduction

There is a lot of information but worth learning what 's what when it comes to ingredients in dog food, especially what things you might not want your pooch to be eating.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:58 PM

I have tried a good quality of food numerous of times, but he either won't eat it or eventually sniffs and walks away. He wasn't interested in it at all. And for him to go 3 days without eating and taking him to the Vet telling me nothing is wrong with him and they were wanting to put him on their food.

Recently, I got a dry raw food patty that I bought when in Florida to break and sprinkle on his food. He liked it for awhile and then didn't even want that on his Pro-Plan. He did the same with the small amount of canned Pro-Plan that I would mix in with his dry with. I even tried switching the brand of "Blue Buffalo" when we were on it, but he didn't like any of them and I bought numerous of bags. Sniffing and walking walk and not eating for 3 days worries me.

P.S. When I get the chance I will read that website you posted.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,640,420 times
Talking Picky eater...

What it sounds like is that you have is a picky eater. If your dog has not eaten in three days, something you could try is boiled chicken and rice. Just a little to see if he will eat. If your dog likes this, you can continue this diet but consider a vitamin.

This will hold your dog over until you can find a food that suits his picky tastes. There are many premium foods. Grain-free is an option. There is something I always look for in dog food. The first two ingredients, meat (names-beef, chicken, duck, pork, buffalo, fish, etc.,) never "Mean-by-product, that does not tell me what kind of meat it was taken from and I won't feed my dogs, roadkill. Second ingredient, beef meal, chicken meal, etc., when fill-in-the-meat-meal is used, the water is reduced but the protein content goes up, this is good. I just don't accept "meat-by-product" in their food.

If it has corn in it, it makes them poo more, they don't digest it well...which means there is more for me to clean up BUT more importantly, it does not do them any good, so why feed it to them (is how I look at it.) So, I look for health food for them.

You have to do what is good for your dog.

Best wishes?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,134,158 times
It sounds as if the dog has you very well trained. IF you want to be the leader instead of him feed whatever you think is the right thing to feed him. Put the food down for 20 minutes max. At the end of that time pick it up and set it aside (refrigerate if moistened or includes any wet food). NO TREATS to make up for what he doesn't eat. At the next meal put down what he didn't eat for the same amount of time. Do NOT add food to make up for what he missed by not eating the previous meal (it's ok to add enough to equal one meal's share but not more than that). Repeat until he learns that you are not going to give in to him any more. This might take a few days since he's been dictating to you for so long but if you persevere he will learn to eat what you give him when it's given (especially if he's as smart as you believe).

Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,723,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
It sounds as if the dog has you very well trained.
Totally agree, you dog has trained you well.

Do as was suggestd by others and put your dog on feeding schedule and STOP changing foods when it won;t eat. All yuor doing is saying to the dog that you'll keep switching and changing until it eats. Find a well balnced appropriate food for size and excercise and feed it ona select schedule.

If the dog wont eat, take it away until next scheduled time. keep doing this and soon it will learn that they are not controling the food anymore and they will eat when you plut the food down. Right now the dog is controlling you and the food. its telling you to keep the variety coming and it will eat when it darn well pleases.

You keep this up and you will end up with one of those hated spoiled dogs.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,897,410 times
Let's see.....We have 3 GSD's and one genuine rescue mutt puppy (we jokingly refer to Leilu as our Botswanian Barrel Dog because she looks like a small barrel on short stubby legs) We leave dry dog food out at all times and give occasional treats. They don't fight over food, they eat when they feel the need and they are quite grateful for treats and table handouts. I don't understand how someone trains their dog to be finicky. As I understand it, the object is to train the dog, not the other way around. (granted there is always some give and take, after all, they are members of the family)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs