Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,778,235 times

Advertisements

Our elderly dog, 14, Princess today had 2 seizures. This is after my parents told me she had one two days ago and didnt do anything.

We took her into the vet today and had blood work done. We got some seizure medicaitons, but they said it will take it a week for it stop the seizures.

Thankfully it was mild and jsut was her head.

She nearly blind. She had blood work a year ago and had x-rays like 3 months ago for a fall she had. I don't think its a brain tumor otherwise it would have shown up.

Anything to calm the dog or help it after a seizure?

The seizure medicine is called phenobarbital.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,077,301 times
The dog may not be in pain, you may just be perceiving whimpering, etc. as an indication of pain and that just isn't necessarily true. It could be an indication of fear or anxiety....or not.

For instance, when dogs are coming out of anesthesia it is common for them to cry and whimper even though they are not it pain.

The only way to be sure is to talk to your vet about it.

You just have to be patient and let the medicine do its job.

In the mean time......REMAIN CALM......if you don't, your dog will sense that you are upset and scared and that will make her upset and scared.

Try to remain calm and comfort her by being close to her, holding her, petting her.....but don't overdo it.

Fingers crossed that she responds well to the meds.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The dog may not be in pain, you may just be perceiving whimpering, etc. as an indication of pain and that just isn't necessarily true. It could be an indication of fear or anxiety....or not.

For instance, when dogs are coming out of anesthesia it is common for them to cry and whimper even though they are not it pain.

The only way to be sure is to talk to your vet about it.

You just have to be patient and let the medicine do its job.

In the mean time......REMAIN CALM......if you don't, your dog will sense that you are upset and scared and that will make her upset and scared.

Try to remain calm and comfort her by being close to her, holding her, petting her.....but don't overdo it.

Fingers crossed that she responds well to the meds.
Thank you! I feel like I'm putting out as many fires as I can.

I have to instruct my mom on every little detail to do to help the dog (talk calmy to her, bring her on my mom's bed, get her a hot rag, give her a treat she likes, pet her, and do ur own research). I was able to get my mom to make the dog nap. It's not magic!

A quick search matching some of the dog's symptoms I believe the dog had diabetesis and I think low blood sugar caused the seizures. My dad is lazy. He'd rather just put her down. I told him, NO, it's not she is in pain IT'S YOU NOT FOLLOWING ORDERS. Yeah, it's my mom's dog, but have a heart and help out. She is your wife and if you love your wife, you love her dog.

Needless to say my dad didn't like me standing up to him and he is kicking me out and I'm like okay fine because I don't want to live with some one who is so selfish not to help a hurting animal. I have until September 1st to find a new place.

One way my mom and ddad could improve in preventing the low blood sugar in Princess is changing her diet up. Give he some more veggies. Give her more food during her eating times and make sure she had regular eating times. And for pete sake's they need to stop going on a week long vacations every three months. My parents live 5 min from the beach, they are retired, and neither work. They pretend they are stressed from life and need these vacations and I'm like you don't need these long vacations lol. It's not like it's 120 F degrees in the Midwest.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 PM

Sounds like you need to try to smooth things over so you can stay where you are so the dog has an advocate.

Be as diplomatic as you can for the sake of the dog.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:50 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,546,861 times
I feel for you, my little dog is pretty sick.

My daughter's dog has had grand mal seizures & is taking phenobarbital. I observed the seizures & they're pretty unsettling, but it helps a lot to stay calm & close by during the seizure, then keeping a calm environment afterward & making sure the dog is in a comfortable place, like their bed, & just being watchful. My daughter & SIL are scientists, so they seem to be able to emotionally detach somewhat, which helps in this situation.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,224,174 times
OP - I hate to be the one to say this, but maybe it is time to let the dog go. Believe me, if it were my dog, I would do almost anything I could to help her live comfortably for as long as she can.

But, I've been through the scenarios you are describing for two of my dogs. At 14 I had a dog develop seizures. They are the worst thing in the world to watch but I have been assured the dog doesn't feel pain, just maybe some confusion and anxiety. Unfortunately, I ended up having to euthanize him.

I've also had dogs with diabetes. One lived about 3 years after diagnosis (she was 10 when we had to let her go). The other barely lived a year after diagnosis. He ended up getting a nasty fungal infection and couldn't fight it. He died during a blood transfusion.

You love this dog but clearly your parents (who own the dog) are in a different place. Dogs with health issues need to be cared for regularly. It's a HUGE commitment. And when the dog is old, it's even more. The slightest thing could cause irrevocable damage. It's not fair to ask the dog to suffer through all this just because you want to keep her around longer.

I would have a heart to heart with the vet (with your mom and dad there) and ask them what would they do if this was their dog. You may understand that letting this sweet old girl go may be the best thing for her. It will hurt like hell, but this is the most important act of love we can do for our pets.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
Its time to let go..... Seizures cause Confusion Not pain!

Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,778,005 times
I agree it sounds like it's time to let him go.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM

Anyone have any input about cannabis products to help with seizures? Can I mix canabis products with phenobarbital? My class mate told me about canna pet pills. So I got
Some and hope it helps out more.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Anyone have any input about cannabis products to help with seizures? Can I mix canabis products with phenobarbital? My class mate told me about canna pet pills. So I got
Some and hope it helps out more.

NO! NO! NO! Listen to your veterinarian!

Vets are highly skilled and trained, you are not.

If you are not willing to follow your vet's advice, you should just have the dog euthanized instead of experimenting on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs