Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
Get the story straight! The OP dogs attacked one another. They were rescues. They HAVE NOT attacked a person or the family. Come on, now! Read the post!!!

***No people have been harmed in the making of this post.***
I don;t understand why everyone is upset. I;m just repeating what many have said and yelled from their soapbox. the dogs did something bad, they are pitbulls, therefor the owner and only the owner is irresponsible and at fault. isn;t that what everyone keeps saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
i have a cattle dog mix that spent the first 3-4 years of her life terrified of men.... that has been reduced now to only teens and young men up to about mid-20's or so..... directly attributable to humans and how she was raised before she went into the shelter....

i have a lab x boxer mix that is so terrified of other dogs he does not already know that he has become pretty leash aggressive .... i suspect that he was attacked by another dog while he was a youngster in the shelter... he had a pretty good split in his right ear when i brought him home that took FOREVER to heal.....

i suspect that the issues cropping up with the op's dogs can be directly attributed to how they were raised, trained and treated by the people who dumped them in the shelter.... so yeah.... owner's fault..... just not this owner.....

Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i have a cattle dog mix that spent the first 3-4 years of her life terrified of men.... that has been reduced now to only teens and young men up to about mid-20's or so..... directly attributable to humans and how she was raised before she went into the shelter....

i have a lab x boxer mix that is so terrified of other dogs he does not already know that he has become pretty leash aggressive .... i suspect that he was attacked by another dog while he was a youngster in the shelter... he had a pretty good split in his right ear when i brought him home that took FOREVER to heal.....

i suspect that the issues cropping up with the op's dogs can be directly attributed to how they were raised, trained and treated by the people who dumped them in the shelter.... so yeah.... owner's fault..... just not this owner.....
I don;t belive you said that, you should be ashamed of yourself. IT IS NOT GOD's FAULT! Afterall there are pitbulls who attack people and other animals who may have been born without any owner, knew no owner and had no negative human contact, so if they do something bad, you are saying that GOD is at fault?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Charlie, just wanted to say that dog aggression and human aggression are two completely unrelated things. A human can definitely get hurt trying to come between two fighting dogs that are too upset to notice what they are biting. This is what you all need to be careful of. But the fact that a dog attacks another dog in no way means it would attack a human. Maybe you can understand better by thinking of a dog that hates cats. There are some dogs that can't be trusted around cats at all, but nobody thinks, oh that dog might attack another dog, or a person, because of that. People understand the difference there. It's the same with dog aggression vs. human aggression.
I'm not an "expert," but as a long-time dog owner and former pet-sitter, I would have to agree with this statement. My 6yo mutt Rudy is fairly dog-aggressive, mostly just with puppies or certain large breeds, but NEVER has he ever been aggressive towards a human... and I've had him since he was only 12 weeks old. I trust him completely with my little niece & nephew (supervised of course), and he's not only friendly but very gentle with all kids/humans he meets. He's also great with small animals, especially cats both inside & outside of our home. So yeah, dog aggression does NOT always accompany human aggression!

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-24-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I don;t belive you said that, you should be ashamed of yourself. IT IS NOT GOD's FAULT! Afterall there are pitbulls who attack people and other animals who may have been born without any owner, knew no owner and had no negative human contact, so if they do something bad, you are saying that GOD is at fault?
I didn't see G-d mentioned in their post, but maybe it was edited before you replied? Regardless, we could blame those cases on natural instinct (some dogs are just born aggressive, I suppose)... but if you're a believer in G-d, doesn't that dictate a creature's nature? Too philosophical for me, LOL.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
if you read the dozen or so topics on pitbulls, almost everyone claims that these dogs are never the problem that anything they do is always the fault of the owner being irresponsible. Some have claim that there has NEVER been a single case of a pitbull ever turning on its owner and any time it happened it was not the dogs fault but the irresponsible owners fault.
I don't think anyone claims that, and yes it usually IS the owner's fault... but often they don't realize they're at fault, as they simply didn't know the proper way to raise this breed. I've never owned a Pit myself, but this usually seems to be the case in my observations. Some folks just get them because they're cute, and fail to take the necessary measures to raise them correctly.

Same could be said for any breed of dog, particularly the little breeds like Chihuahuas - they just don't get the bad press, since their bites aren't strong enough to maim/kill. But I'll tell you, I've met MANY more aggressive Chis than Pits in my lifetime!! Usually it's because the owner is more concerned with finding them cute outfits, rather than focusing on training and behavior corrections as they grow. I'm not speaking of all Chi/toy owners, mind you, just explaining one reason behind those who ARE aggressive.

Quote:
I decided that maybe they are correct and so I'm defering to their know it all expertise and telling the OP that by the postings on CD, they are the problem and the dogs don;t need no tarining or behavorist. I mean, why should the OP spend mopney on these things when the fault is with them as irresponsible dog owners since pitbull do no wrong ever?
A trainer or behaviorist can teach the owner proper tools, techniques, etc, in order to maintain a healthy & well-adjusted dog. If the owner is doing something wrong, how else will they learn the right way to raise their dog? You can't simply shrug and say "oh well, it's just a bad owner!" As long as the human is willing, it's never a bad idea to meet with a professional... I've done it for my dog, and learned some excellent techniques for curbing Rudy's dog-aggression. I wasn't (still am not) a bad owner, I was just inexperienced with that issue, and needed a pro to guide me through it. I only have one dog, though, so the situation is much more critical in the OP's case - as I can avoid these interactions, whereas the OP will always have to be aware and ready to intervene.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,954 times
Lightbulb Just saying...

Quote:
I don;t understand why everyone is upset. I;m just repeating what many have said and yelled from their soapbox. the dogs did something bad, they are pitbulls, therefor the owner and only the owner is irresponsible and at fault. isn;t that what everyone keeps saying?

PF have you made ANY suggestions to the OP to help with her questions to her post?

The only thing I have seen so far is you attacking others for their posts, no suggestions for the OP. I thought the whole idea here is to help out with the sharing of idea's, suggestions and stories? Perhaps I am wrong, but instead of attacking each other like a bunch of kid (sibs), finger pointing or being a part of the problem, why not help one another and be a part of the solution?

Just a suggestion...

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 10-24-2011 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Needed to re-word...

Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,574 times
Just going to echo other posters-- dog and human aggression are not the same thing. Many pit bulls are dog aggressive, or become dog aggressive as they reach sexual maturity. In many cases it is a manageable situation.

However, it sounds like the OP probably has a situation where the two dogs are fighting over a limited resource (the owners). With pits, true dog aggressive tends to more constant...they react strongly to other dogs at all times, or to same sex dogs at all times. If it was a true case of dog aggression, I would expect the male to be reacting to ALL dogs he sees he on the street, or to be reacting to the female on a more constant basis. Dog aggression doesn't switch on and off like that. It's an instinct, like herding in a border collie...they don't sometimes have a strong drive but usually not.

Since he's usually fine with the female, and the OP hasn't mentioned other instances of aggression with him, there's probably something like a dominance issue going on (though I don't necessarily agree with dominance as the term is commonly used in dog training). This can be a good thing, as true dog aggression is more instinctive and can be more difficult to correct. If the issue is lack of socialization or fighting for a resource, it's a training issue, which is more fixable.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 PM

38,921 posts, read 22,927,880 times
Default Dozer the pit bull

Here's a picture of a pit bull that was recently rescued from a horrendous living situation. The previous owner regularly abused the dog, and even shot the dog in the shoulder at close range, leaving a gaping wound. The dog, whose name is Dozer, is currently at a veterinarian's clinic in Chicago for heartworm treatment and will also undergo behavioral training, after which he will be available for adoption through Project Rescue Chicago's rescue program. Here he is:

You have to admit--pits are the most "smiley" dogs around.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Here's a picture of a pit bull that was recently rescued from a horrendous living situation. The previous owner regularly abused the dog, and even shot the dog in the shoulder at close range, leaving a gaping wound. The dog, whose name is Dozer, is currently at a veterinarian's clinic in Chicago for heartworm treatment and will also undergo behavioral training, after which he will be available for adoption through Project Rescue Chicago's rescue program. Here he is:

You have to admit--pits are the most "smiley" dogs around.
People suck - that is the cutest pic. I have a white with brown spots very much like that one. Wherever she came from, it was bad, she is so frightened of everything - it took her at least a year to feel secure here. Luckily we had other dogs to help the transition. She still cowers at the sound of a plastic bag.
We also have a rescue with buckshot still lodged in places the vet can't get to. Pits are victims of humans. Way too many pits, for the numbers of good, responsible people willing to give them a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs