Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times

Advertisements

I had Lady-Bug since she was 4 months old! Next week she will be 9 months old! Today I thought I could finaly trust her a bit. So I turned her loose. Less than 2 mins she ran into the Middle of the Living Room & Pooped!!! UGH!!! Ok it was vent here or Kill her!! Actually like to Kill her Breeder but she not in reach!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:30 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I had Lady-Bug since she was 4 months old! Next week she will be 9 months old! Today I thought I could finaly trust her a bit. So I turned her loose. Less than 2 mins she ran into the Middle of the Living Room & Pooped!!! UGH!!! Ok it was vent here or Kill her!! Actually like to Kill her Breeder but she not in reach!!

Why is it the breeder's fault that a puppy sold to you 5 months ago pooped in the house?

Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Because the Breeder Allowed the litter to Poop & Pee on Towels & Blankets instead of paper/grass or dirt til she was 4 months old. Everytime I Think she stopped she starts again. My Apt is Wall to Wall Carpet! Because of this she spends 23 hours a day in crate! I just sooo Flustrated UGH

Old 11-13-2011, 01:50 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times
A dog in a crate for 23 hours a day will never learn to potty where it is supposed to. It is the owners responsibility to take the dog out regularly and praise praise praise when they have done their job where they were supposed to. Also keep the dog tethered to you while in training is very helpful.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 PM

She gets out to go potty to play [she uses litterbox in crate] She was Not out of my site today! She gave no warnings...no sniffing nothing! She was headed towards the litterbox was 5 ft from it just stopped pooped! I scooped her up put her in the box where she finished praised her then went to clean her mess up. But at almost 9 months old & this been going on for 5 months its very discouraging! The other day she was playing 30 FT from the box & she ran past me & right to it to potty! So she Not Dumb... Anything Cloth she just feels is ok to potty on! Like I said needed to vent!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
its NOT the breeders fault...
the breeder had her trained to a certain type of meterial, but as her owner it was your job to start her reliably on a new one...
if shes having accidents its because YOU wanrt watching close enough.

since shes not yet house broken you need to take her for potty break EVERY HOUR...no excuses no "she can hold it longer" she doesnt know HOW to hold it and you get it on the floor as a gift...take her out every hour (or if litterbox training take her to her box EVERY hour and parise when she goes. the rest of the day she needs to be tethered to you, put her on her leash and keep her by yourside all day...if you ned alone time she goes in her crate but crating her all day isnt helping.

also get the litterbox OUT of her crate, your teaching her its ok to pee and poop in her sleeping space which is only confusing her more...the litterbox needs to be in 1 set place away from food and away from sleeping zone and she needs to be put in it every hour untill shes consistent...once shes having no accidents at 1 hour intervals you can slowly start to increase the inbetween time, but the first accident your back to every hour.

paps are smart, if shes having accidents its because YOU as her owner havent given her a clear enough set of rules to follow.

i would also invest in a steam cleaner a portable black light and a big bottle of natures miracle, one night close the curtains turn out the lights and get down on the floor with a cloth and the natures miracle and your blacklihgt, and spot treat EVERY glosing blob (the light needs to be no more than 6 inches from the floor) then steam clean your entire house and keep natures miracle handy for accidents...

if shes having accidents though its because YOU are not paying close enough attention and havent taught her wht to do...
nothing to do with the breeder.

ive taken dogs form puppy mill situations in tiny cramed cages for most of their lives, 5-6 yrs old wiht no house training...dogs from hoarding situations where its not only ok to poop and pee anywhere but kind of encoraged and had then housebroken in no time...
youve had this dog for 5 months...you simply cant blame the breeder...
thats like if the pup was to get fleas now, trying to blame the breeder for not putting flea protection on her 5 months ago...

you just need to be patient and persistent and give her a much clearer set of rules...

Old 11-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
She gets out to go potty to play [she uses litterbox in crate] Like I said needed to vent!
& I just asked why after 5 months it was the breeder's fault.

The others above have given good advice. Some might disagree with me, but I would find a treat that your pupdog likes and ONLY give it to her when she potties outside. & brag big time when she does. I even did a potty song & dance when Jack went potty. After 3 weeks there were no accidents inside, and when I added Cheerios as the treat the 4th week it only took 1 week for him to start asking to go out. [He's 4 1/2 but still expects 1 when he pees, 2 when he poos, and 1 for coming in like a good boy. & if we don't give him enough he just sits there until he gets the right amount.] He has had TWO accidents since that first 4 weeks of potty training. Once when he was playing with my granddaughter and then forgot to go potty, and cried when he peed on the floor, but he was still pretty young. Then once right after he got fixed, which I wasn't upset because the poor things wee wee was all numbed up.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Those things Dont work with this pup! I was Watching her....how else would I have put her in the box to finish....

Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Those things Dont work with this pup! I was Watching her....how else would I have put her in the box to finish....

You said she was in her crate 23 hours a day. One hour a day is not enough for her to learn. Besides, while potty training you need to expect some accidents, no matter how young or how old the pupdog.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 PM

10 mins every 2 hrs is all I can trust her! This doesnt count the pretty days we sit outside for an hour LOL Worries me those days are getting fewer. Was hoping by now she have the Normal freedom of the apt. Everyone says she get there...days like today I love to know When
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs