Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,886 times

Advertisements

My 17 1/2 year old Shih Tzu is blind & deaf, has been for 2 years. He eats fine and still does his business outside, he no longer goes up and down the steps to the yard, however, barks to go in or out. He appears to be in no pain, doesn't whine or cry.

So, here is the issue....my 5 year old Shih Tzu has become attached like glue to him. This only started last week, he follows the old guy everywhere, must lick his ears and eyes constantly and no matter where he lays, his buddy is right next to him. The 5 yo slept with me until last week, now he spends his nights with the old man, who for the last year sleeps on his bed in the LR, he figured out that it was safer for him.

Do think the 5 yo hears the death rattle? Does he sense something I cannot?

I know that my old friends days are numbered, and, if I ever feel that he is in any pain, I will do what I need to do, until then I am taking one day at a time, however, perhaps my younger guy knows something that I do not.

Any input? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,437,852 times
I'd get him in to see the vet for an exam to be on the safe side. My old GSD girl is high heartworm positive (came from the shelter that way and because of age and other medical problems wasn't a candidate for treatment) and I've noticed as she's getting worse the other dogs do spend more time with her and the dominant female spends a lot of time grooming her. Also had a male rottie for years. All the sudden one day we noticed the chi / terrier sleeping ON him all the time. Within a week he was diagnosed with bone cancer and we lost him shortly after. Not saying that's the case in your situation, but it certainly couldn't help. I honestly think dogs know way more than we do most times.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:53 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,886 times
Thank you. He was at the vet last month, as his ears were giving him a problem. They gave him a checkup and found nothing unusual for a dog his age. They gave me an ear wash and that seemed to do the trick.

Of coarse, at his age, the vet didn't do an indepth analysis, they felt that for his age he was basically doing ok. Since he loves to eat, they said if he ever turns his nose up at food, it would be a big sign that he was not ok. So far, aside from sleeping, his main hobby is eating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs