Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

We are struggling very intensely with what so many people do when it's time to let go of a cherished pet. We've had our GSD "Shasta" for 14 years and she found us as a youngster at probably less than a year old. We had 3 dogs at the time but it wasn't hard to find room for one more, especially one as sweet and gentle as she was. Six other dogs have come in to our home (all of them strays or rescues) and our current pack consists of four including Shasta. Shasta has been a common link to all of our ten dogs during these 14 years.

She has aged remarkably well and until very recently was always able and willing for our long walks but now, while she still is willing, she's not really able. She appeared just a little unsteady a few months ago but those missed steps and slips have become more and more frequent. She loves laying on her couch but has difficulty hopping up and it becomes unbearable on those occasions when she's occasionally unsuccesful in her attempts to hop up at times over the past few days.

She is eating and drinking as well as ever and while sometimes struggles with the stairs she can still usually go up and down on her own. The last couple nights I have stayed in the living room with her so that she doesn't feel so compelled to go up at night but she still wants to and bringing her bed down stairs isn't the same for her.

We have been through this too many times to count and we want her to live the rest of her life with dignity and not subject her to the fear and uncertainty of a splayed out collapse or fall when we are not there to steady her. I wish I knew for certain when the time was right and not let her go before she is ready.

Attached Thumbnails
Is it better to let go too early rather then too late?-08-03.22-005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Oh... I'm crying for Shasta. It must be so difficult for you to watch -- as difficult as it is for her to be watched, unable to do all the things that she was previously able to do so easily.

I think leaving it too late is cruel.
But it seems that maybe -- maybe -- it's still a bit too soon for Shasta. It sounds like she still has some oomph left in her but, of course, I'm there to witness it... I'm not the one in your shoes, who has to watch your puppy be an old lady.

You'll know when.

But don't leave it for too late, when everything is painful and distressing for Shasta.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
What a beautiful girl!
I wish I had some words of wisdom. I've heard it said, and I believe it, "Better a day too early than a day too late." But whether it's really that time or not, I can't say. If she can still find joy in some things, maybe not. But if she's alone without your help too much, that's a factor too.
I really think this is the hardest time of being a pet parent. Here's hoping she lets you know in some way when she's ready to go.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Shasta is beautiful. I will say, just based on your comments, that it's not that time yet. You will know when it's time.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
She is a beautiful friend. I really can't tell you what to do, however, I do feel that you will know when it is time. I have an 18 year old Shih Tzu, blind and deaf, sleeps most of the time, yet eats twice a day, does his business outside and seems to be in no pain...he seem to be a little stiff
sometimes in the morning, but, works himself out of it.

My vet came to my house several weeks ago and said that for his age he seems to be doing just fine, according to her he does not have dementia, so, she recommended that I just keep an eye on him and continue loving him...until...I know it's time...like when he stops eating...as that is his "life".

I do carry my little friend up and down the stairs to go outside as he no longer feels comfortable doing so...a small price to pay for his loyality and love.

Sending loving licks from my Smokey to your Shasta.

Last edited by Dollydo; 03-26-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
God Bless Shasta......I know that you will do the right thing....and she does too! Don't worry....you won't make a mistake....and who dares to second guess you....Shasta won't. She will always love you for the kindnesses she has known over her lifetime.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Tell her to let you know when it's time. Look into her eyes and say "I don't want to have to guess. Make it very clear." She will do so.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
God Bless Shasta......I know that you will do the right thing....and she does too! Don't worry....you won't make a mistake....and who dares to second guess you....Shasta won't. She will always love you for the kindnesses she has known over her lifetime.
I wish I had your way with words. Very nice.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
I had a similar decision with my Missy Pearl the million dollar kitty. She had a kidney stone which I had removed and a stint put in. A year later I could tell something was going on again. The ultra sound showed she had a stone in her remaining kidney. I wanted to remember her as the spitfire and dare devil cat she was. So I spent one last day with her and took lots of pictures. She is in my heart always and forever. What ever your decision I'm sure it will be the correct one. I wish you peace to you and your family.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
Shasta is a beauty! Make sure and take lots of pictures!!!

There are four questions I ask myself as I approach this with one of mine:

1) are they eating and drinking
2) are they able to go out and do their business
3) is their pain manageable
4) do they have more good days than bad

If you have more no's than yes's...then you have a better handle on what to do.

It doesn't sound like it's time. I agree with the others, you'll know best...we don't. We don't see the suffering, although we have walked in your shoes...I am sorry Shasta is approaching her sunset...just remember it an approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs