Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

The foster fella was neutered yesterday and came through with flying colors.... he and roxie did the frantic play zoomies all over the house when i got him home... i could not even tell he had had surgery.... he was not groggy or woozy and was starving....

don't be fussin' at me ... i KNOW he is supposed to be kept quieter and will endeavor to do just that ....

to my question.... he has been coughing some, with an almost gag-sound at the end.... sounds like his throat is a little irritated from having been intubated.... the vet says there is nothing i can give him or do to help soothe it and he should stop in the next day or so....

what say you, wise c-d dog folks?? have any of you encountered this issue?? and if so, what did you do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 02:36 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times
I don't know LTTP. Bella didn't have that issue when she was fixed. Maybe Foxy or Mrs know of something.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM

neither did roxie or bailey.....

Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Haven't encountered it with a dog, human yes. He could have some irritation from the tube. Maybe some warm broth or warm water with honey to soothe it.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
The cough should go away within a couple of days. If it lasts 3-4 days, I would call the vet again. Some dogs get kennel cough. But coughing after surgery from the tube in the throat is not uncommon.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
very likely a side effect of the intubation, just like with people it can leave the throat dry and often a little tender...
keep an eye on the cough, if it gets worse or becomes a dry hacking almost honking sound, it could be kennel cough and a mild course of antibiotics MIGHT be in order (i never treat with anitbiotics for kennel cough unless the dog is older/very young or its a BAD case)

but efinatly sounds to me like "dry throat" from the tube.

if he seems to be uncomfortable form the cough you could try offering a little raw honey about a teaspoon, itll help coat the throat much like cough syrup without any medication type side effects.
i always keep honey on hand for all kinds of issues, dont need a lot of the good stuff (the cheapy store bought stuff is mostly just yellow sugar lol) but the raw good stuff has all kinds of uses in pets and people!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 PM

yeah ... i was thinking a little honey, too .... i will keep an eye on him when i get home in a bit and if he is still coughing in the morning, will get some of the good honey for him......

doubt it's kennel cough.... he was fine yesterday morning and only started, that i noticed, about an hour after i got him home....after he and miss roxie had been playing..... he's only about 2 or so and is in good health, particularly since i've got a little more meat on his skinny little bones.....

thanks!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yeah ... i was thinking a little honey, too .... i will keep an eye on him when i get home in a bit and if he is still coughing in the morning, will get some of the good honey for him......

doubt it's kennel cough.... he was fine yesterday morning and only started, that i noticed, about an hour after i got him home....after he and miss roxie had been playing..... he's only about 2 or so and is in good health, particularly since i've got a little more meat on his skinny little bones.....

thanks!
Its most likely intubation irritation. It has happened to a few dogs I've had (and to me for that matter). It can take a few days to clear. If it starts sounding "wet" get the little fella right back to the vet!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 AM

he has steadily improved..... only one cough so far today....

thanks everyone.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs