Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,262,584 times

Advertisements

I don't have a dog but planning gift baskets for the cats and dogs of friends. What is the best treat or play toy to give a dog? This dog is a medium size mixed breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,990,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
I don't have a dog but planning gift baskets for the cats and dogs of friends. What is the best treat or play toy to give a dog? This dog is a medium size mixed breed.
Dog food.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,469,262 times
Nice idea! Maybe a rope toy and some dog cookies. Petco has a dog treat "buffet" where you can pick out an assortment of treats.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Nice idea! Maybe a rope toy and some dog cookies. Petco has a dog treat "buffet" where you can pick out an assortment of treats.
I'm on my way out and will stop at Petco! Thanks for the reply. Excellent idea!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,906,280 times
i do gift baskets for frineds when they get new pups...

generally ill include a bottle of natures miracle (even adult dogs can have accidents)
a "tough" toy (kong, rope toy, ect)
a "squeeky" toy (stuffed animal of some kind (i like the skinneeze because theyre stuffing free but still squeek)
a bag of treats, ill usually make cookies or chicken jerky myself, or ill go with somehting like pro-treates freeze dried liver treats
a fleece blanket if they dont have one already and then something cute for the owner (a dog themed picture frame, or a breed specific magnet ect...

cats i do similarly,
a small fleece blanket
a bottle of natures miracle just for cats
some jingly balls
a catnip mouse
either kitty treats or a tub of catnip
and a cute cat themsed human gift.

it realy depends on what kind of money you have to spend but theres toys and teats are always winers, just be sure the treats are made in the usa and not on a watch list (ie store bought chicken jerky)

Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i do gift baskets for frineds when they get new pups...

generally ill include a bottle of natures miracle (even adult dogs can have accidents)
a "tough" toy (kong, rope toy, ect)
a "squeeky" toy (stuffed animal of some kind (i like the skinneeze because theyre stuffing free but still squeek)
a bag of treats, ill usually make cookies or chicken jerky myself, or ill go with somehting like pro-treates freeze dried liver treats
a fleece blanket if they dont have one already and then something cute for the owner (a dog themed picture frame, or a breed specific magnet ect...

cats i do similarly,
a small fleece blanket
a bottle of natures miracle just for cats
some jingly balls
a catnip mouse
either kitty treats or a tub of catnip
and a cute cat themsed human gift.

it realy depends on what kind of money you have to spend but theres toys and teats are always winers, just be sure the treats are made in the usa and not on a watch list (ie store bought chicken jerky)
That's a terrific list! Thanks for the reminder about where treats are made. It's fun shopping for cats and dogs!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,578,145 times
I make homemade dog bones and wrap them in cellophane for the neighbor dogs and family pets for Christmas. That way I know they are fresh and have wholesome ingredients. But I also give my dog, my parents dog and my brothers dog a dog toy. My dog likes anything that squeeks. She is a beagle. My brothers dog is a Samoyed and he likes tuggy toys such as a rope or a long toy with a squeeker. My mom has a small mixed breed and it likes stuffed animal toys. Most dogs likes toys, but some will chew eyes, ears, etc. off of stuffed animals. So just be careful what you buy. They can choke on small parts just like a kid. Also, be careful of balls. One of Oprah Winfrey's golden retrievers choked to death on a ball.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,845,177 times
This is such a sweet idea. Do you have a Home Goods store by you or TJ Maxx? At Home Goods I bought my moms dog a gift and they had such cute items from toys,clothes,dog dishes,frames I could go on and less expensive then Pet Smart.
My moms dogs have always like the stuffed type toys. The string toys she had some issues with the dogs pulling the strings out and fear of choking. Also the frisbies that are material type. At Pet Smart they have cute dog cookie treats that look like they could be for humans.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,576,586 times
I am really happy with deer antlers. They seem to be a great but currently not mainstream dog chew.

As far as treats and toys, avoid ANYTHING from China! For squeakers I like the Cuz toys.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,578,145 times
If you have a Big Lots near you, check them out. Their dog toys are less expensive than pet stores. I just bought my dog a rabbit toy made by the American Kennel Club. They have dog and cat toys. I bought my daughter in laws cats cardboard birds and mice to play with. You assemble them and the cats love to play with cardboard. Anyone else looking, they have good prices on pet beds too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs