Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times

Advertisements

If I missed this earlier and this is a re-post, I apologize.

I just came across this on FB this morning. As I have a young dog with "issues" that we're trying to help him overcome, this Project has struck me as so important!

Yellow Dog Project. Home

If you have a dog that needs personal space, for whatever reason, put a yellow ribbon on the dog or it's leash as a notice to others to give space.

I like it! I'm putting a yellow ribbon on Spur's leash TONIGHT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Yellow Dog Project signals not-so-social dogs
I searched and found your thread, because I had thought to start one. Glad to see it is a known situation. Here is an article I found today. I think this is a great idea. But, personally if I had a dog that would bite, I'd just muzzle it in public.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I certainly wouldn't rely on it for safety. I doubt many people would know what it meant.

They might think it's about waiting for soldiers to return from war---or maybe you just want to decorate your dog.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
At horse shows they tie a red ribbon around the tail of horses that are likely to kick out. Pretty much everyone at the show knows what the red ribbon means, and if someone doesn't know they'll be informed. I guess this similar concept could catch on in the dog world to a point where most people know what the ribbon signifies, but of course that sort of mass awareness would take a lot of time and a lot of participation from dog owners.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
its a great idea, ot just for dogs who "might bite" but dogs who need tobe focsed on what their doing (ie with my doe dog he loves people so much that he looses his mind whe he sees people that look like there even thining baut saying hello...a yellow ribbon for him woudl mean "please keep your distance im trying to focus") or dont like being aproached by other dogs, or are "hiders" (like my jasper) ect...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
They just did a news story on this with the NBC affiliate in Denver, hopefully more people will become aware.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 AM

501 posts, read 933,312 times
I know this is an old thread, but want to put my two cents in.

I am not in favor of the Yellow Dog Project because it requires the non-dog owner to be versed in something (recognizing the yellow ribbon and understanding how to approach a dog with a yellow ribbon), and I don't think this is a reasonable expectation of non-dog owners.

I am also not in favor of it because not all dogs that shouldn't be approached will have yellow ribbons - meaning all unfamiliar dogs (yellow ribbon or otherwise) should be approached with due care.

It is the responsibility of the Yellow Dog owner to properly communicate desired intentions to others, and to handle their animal in a manner that is respectful of other people sharing the trail, sidewalk, street, etc.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
I had not heard of this before. I would like to see it take off, but considering the extremely short attention spans of most Americans, I can't see it getting very big.

If you're in my home, my dog will jump onto your lap and choke you with french kisses. But outside for a walk, leave her alone. She's an old rescued farm dog who spent her years with the luxury of a fenced acre where she could chase squirrels, rabbits, snakes, whatever. Now she's a leashed city dog and the transition has been traumatic.

The biggest problem I and my dog have is unleashed dogs and in Oklahoma City, Animal Control is as worthless as anything could possibly be, ever, anywhere, period. Unleashed dogs won't recognize a yellow ribbon, but perhaps I could train some of their brain dead owners. It's worth a try.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I know this is an old thread, but want to put my two cents in.

I am not in favor of the Yellow Dog Project because it requires the non-dog owner to be versed in something (recognizing the yellow ribbon and understanding how to approach a dog with a yellow ribbon), and I don't think this is a reasonable expectation of non-dog owners.

I am also not in favor of it because not all dogs that shouldn't be approached will have yellow ribbons - meaning all unfamiliar dogs (yellow ribbon or otherwise) should be approached with due care.

It is the responsibility of the Yellow Dog owner to properly communicate desired intentions to others, and to handle their animal in a manner that is respectful of other people sharing the trail, sidewalk, street, etc.
I completely agree with you! I think it's a dangerous idea.

If you look at their website for the United States, it's not very well supported here.

USA

There are only a handful of trainers and one veterinarian's office supporting it so far.

Food for thought: Someone will be making money off of this non-proft.

People should really think about the consequences before getting on a marketing bandwagon.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
We sometimes say at work 'we have a pill for everything BUT stupid,' and yanno approaching a dog you don't know especially if it's leashed thinking it'll be friendly because YOU think it's friendly or whatever is well, stupid. I think the idea is well intended but am unsure it'd help, I can see it now: Dog is wearing the ribbon, some genius person walks up, reaches out a hand asking, does that ribbon mean s/he isn't friendly? while the dog responds aggressively and the owner is thinking in red punctuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs