Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

I read a blog post about this and just in a couple of days this has taken off astronomically! Basically there is a brand new exploding movement to educate people about the whole "but my dog is friendly!" thing that is a problem when a dog owner insists that his/her dog should meet a leash reactive dog.

Thought I'd pass this along. Here's the original blog post that sparked a lot of interest:

My Dog is Friendly! A Public Service Announcement | notes from a dog walker

GREAT article.

Are we allowed to post Facebook links here? Their facebook page is a huge support group for people who have dealt with off leash dogs or owners who can't respect "no"!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DINOS...51550661567160

Really great stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
It is a great article but, unfortunately, most who'll read it are in th "choir" so to speak. It needs to get out to the owners that need it.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
It is a great article but, unfortunately, most who'll read it are in th "choir" so to speak. It needs to get out to the owners that need it.
I was thinking the same thing. I may post the cartoon around my neighborhood!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I read a blog post about this and just in a couple of days this has taken off astronomically! Basically there is a brand new exploding movement to educate people about the whole "but my dog is friendly!" thing that is a problem when a dog owner insists that his/her dog should meet a leash reactive dog.

Thought I'd pass this along. Here's the original blog post that sparked a lot of interest:

My Dog is Friendly! A Public Service Announcement | notes from a dog walker

GREAT article.

Are we allowed to post Facebook links here? Their facebook page is a huge support group for people who have dealt with off leash dogs or owners who can't respect "no"!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DINOS...51550661567160

Really great stuff.

thanks for the link and the fb page... my dave is definitely a dino....

Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 22,419 times
She inspired us to do one, too:
Zombie Dog Owners

Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM

27 posts, read 245,698 times
My dog is leash reactive. I don't have any problem with other dogs on a leash, I can turn and avoid them. Well actually it is very rare that I run into anyone walking their dog in my neighborhood. Tonight I ran into 3 off leash dogs which is normal. Why do people think it is okay to let small dogs run loose? They are either going to get their head bit off or be sprayed with mace if they get too close. I walk my dog in terror every day because you are too lazy to put your dog on a leash.

I was riding my bike with my dog attached to his tow leash the other day and saw a man standing in his front yard with his little poodle. I stopped at the intersection, I know he saw me and the dog. I waited to give him time to pick up his dog. He didn't and I moved on. When his dog started running towards me he finally bent down, but it was too late. I stopped in the street, holding my screaming maniac by the collar. Was curious to see if this little dog would have sense enough to stay away. It did not! I put the bike between my dog and the little poodle. I hollared at it to go away. It just sat there staring until the owner finally ambled over and picked it up. Seriously, how hard is it to hold a leash with a little 10lb dog?

If the police would start writing tickets for off leash dogs people might pay attention.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
Mumbles, it's funny you revived this old thread. I just came across the Yellow Dog Project. It encourages pet parents whose dogs need space to put a yellow ribbon on the dog or their leash as a flag to others to give this dog it's space.

Can be for a multitude of reasons, training, injury, rehabilitation, reactivity. I love the idea and I hope we can spread the news!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
I have a lot of neighbors who think its ok to let their dogs run around. One is a lady across the street with 2 small dogs who will run into my yard for pets anytime they see me, which i dont mind but if my dog was with me on a leash it would be bad. So far they've been lucky that Jorah wasnt with me to bite their heads off.

Another neighbor 4 houses down will literally throw a tennis ball down the street and play fetch with his dog, not only is this dangerous for the dog to play in the street, but the dog is not very dog-friendly, and if he ever approaches Jorah while Jorah is leashed, it will be bad news.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM

27 posts, read 245,698 times
A few months ago I was riding my bike up on the levy off Barker Cypress Rd. Saw two dogs come running up the hill in the distance so I stopped. Thought they might be strays. Then I saw a person so figured it was okay and I continued on. Guess the lady thought she was a dog whisperer or something. She had 5 dogs out there and NO leash. She squatted down and held the largest one by his face, the others surrounded me. I stopped and held out my hand to be sniffed, without looking right at them. They weren't interested in being friendly. The smallest one nipped me in the ankle, no harm done. The oldest one was the scariest. Snarling and carrying on the most and I knew if he jumped the rest would follow. The owner could do nothing, she was doing all she could to hold the big one. She did thank me for being so patient. I refrained from telling her how stupid she was. Lots of people ride up there, walk their dogs up there. I pedaled out of there, slowy at first then picking up speed, the pack following me. I heard her scream keep going! Hope it scared her enough that she won't do anything so stupid again.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Spanky is a DINOS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs