U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 AM

5,244 posts, read 15,297,918 times

Advertisements

The vet sold me a supplement for Gizmo that has a natural pain medication in it. He only needs half of one a day but they're very soft and chewy. Pilling Giz with a tiny little aspirin was a pain. These? Impossible!

He won't eat them on his own. He's the pickiest freaking dog I've ever seen. He won't eat any canned food or people food so I can't crumble it and hide it in there. And I tried breaking it into tiny pieces and forcing it but he gets it out every time.

Any ideas?

And they are apparently good because I let the other dogs try them (all natural stuff) and they went nuts. Gizmo just likes being a pain in my !!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 AM

13,339 posts, read 35,937,684 times
Hummm he must be like Lady-Bug Living on air LOL I put Her meds in her water! She Loves water to play in so I only give her a little at a time.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,160,141 times
I used to have a pain-in-the-butt girl who wouldn't eat the chewable heart guard unless I broke it into about 8 pieces and dredged each piece in peanut butter. It was messy and slow, since each piece stuck to the roof of her mouth a little, and if I'd had to do it daily instead of monthly it really would have been a drag. It worked though. I had started out with sour cream or ketchup instead of peanut butter, but she got tired of that. I miss that old girl, stubborn as she was.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 AM

He hates peanut butter. And cheese. And every kind of meat I've found except chicken, but even chicken he's picky about. You can cut a dozen pieces of chicken off the breast and he'll pick through those pieces - all from the same flipping breast of the same blasted chicken - and he will pick two or three pieces he likes and eat them. I've never seen a dog that's such a pain when it comes to food. NEVER!!!!

He also picks through his food - which is all the same size and same type - and picks out individual kibbles that he likes, kicking the rest out as he goes. Once he gets down to half a bowl he deems it all not worthy of him and will stand there and bark, waiting for you to refill the bowl for him. If you don't fill it he gets mad, takes his tiny little foot and slams it on the edge of the bowl sending all the remaining food flying across the kitchen.

When he came to the rescue (he's a teacup poodle BTW) he weighed 3 pounds. Was severely starved and the vet thinks it's probably been going on his entire life and could be part of why he's so weird about food. We've almost doubled his weight and we've had him just over a year. He still needs to gain another couple pounds though. In the meantime he's developed arthritis. A wonderful person here sent me a bottle of joint meds that you rub on the joint that's affected. They used it for their dog and had great results. No improvement for him. The aspirin doesn't work anymore and I don't want to use Rimadyl for him because he's so underweight and is older. The side effects worry me with dogs that aren't young and healthy.

So I think it's just his job to make me crazy. Ugh!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,160,141 times
Wow, that's hilarious- when it's someone else that has to deal with it! I'm afraid all I can say is good luck!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 AM

13,339 posts, read 35,937,684 times
Sounds like LAdyBug LOL But at least she eats Meat! BUT any she dont eat she burries! So I give her quaterpuond hamberger she eat 3/4 & I go ahead & give the 1/4 piecse to Katie LOL All Meat [food Lady eats Has to be Fresh UGH!

Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,484,834 times
since its soft...is there any wa to literally mush it into a paste/almost liquid with water and give it like you would liquid meds?
or mush it to the pnt that its peanut butter consistency and stick it a little at a time to the roof of his mouth lol
otherwise i think id go to a pill gun if hes otheriwse already difficult to pill...

the other option might be a sub q injectable pain med little more work on your part obviously, but if its super stressfull to give the pill it might be the least stressfull option. given his size and breed he wouldnt eb on a high dose so im sure it could be administered with a tiny insulin needle in under a second lol

Old 12-18-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
since its soft...is there any wa to literally mush it into a paste/almost liquid with water and give it like you would liquid meds?
or mush it to the pnt that its peanut butter consistency and stick it a little at a time to the roof of his mouth lol
otherwise i think id go to a pill gun if hes otheriwse already difficult to pill...

the other option might be a sub q injectable pain med little more work on your part obviously, but if its super stressfull to give the pill it might be the least stressfull option. given his size and breed he wouldnt eb on a high dose so im sure it could be administered with a tiny insulin needle in under a second lol
I'd thought of mashing it up with milk or water or something. Maybe even chicken drippings since he likes chicken. I've got plenty syringes. Maybe I'll give that a try.

If it doesn't work I'll have to call the vet back about meds for him. I just really, really hated having to go with a prescription pain med. They've got so many side effects and I worry about his health. If I go the pain meds route I want to get a good CBC base line before I start them and go back a couple times a year to have them checked. I worry about him like crazy. The little horse's !

Old 12-18-2011, 02:59 PM

6,423 posts, read 6,355,940 times
When my dog was anorexic due to blastomycosis, my vet gave me a bunch of plastic syringes (no needles, just the plastic part) with the bottom pointy part cut off, so I could shoot thicker liquids down my dog's throat. It does work.

My suggestion would be to smoosh the chewy pill up in a liquid, make a slurry, maybe flavor it with tuna or chicken broth, put it in a syringe with the pointy end cut off, and shoot this slurry in the side of her mouth with the syringe. Do this while praising and petting her and stroking her throat.

Of course, she'll probably become resistant to this after a few times, but maybe she'll get to like the taste so much she'll lap the slurry from a saucer eventually.

I don't cook meat, so I used to go to KFC and get some cooked chicken, boiled it at home to make a broth, then mixed in her medication and used the syringe. I also used plain greek yogurt mixed with the medication. It worked fine, she got better, and she's fat and happy now! I still give her yogurt pretty often.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
When my dog was anorexic due to blastomycosis, my vet gave me a bunch of plastic syringes (no needles, just the plastic part) with the bottom pointy part cut off, so I could shoot thicker liquids down my dog's throat. It does work.

My suggestion would be to smoosh the chewy pill up in a liquid, make a slurry, maybe flavor it with tuna or chicken broth, put it in a syringe with the pointy end cut off, and shoot this slurry in the side of her mouth with the syringe. Do this while praising and petting her and stroking her throat.

Of course, she'll probably become resistant to this after a few times, but maybe she'll get to like the taste so much she'll lap the slurry from a saucer eventually.

I don't cook meat, so I used to go to KFC and get some cooked chicken, boiled it at home to make a broth, then mixed in her medication and used the syringe. I also used plain greek yogurt mixed with the medication. It worked fine, she got better, and she's fat and happy now! I still give her yogurt pretty often.
I'm going to try the drippings off a chicken first. He does like chicken - it's one of the few things he'll happily eat, although he is picky about it even - and see if he'll eat it that way. If not the syringes come out. I've got a big box of them that I ordered when I got my last shipment of vaccines in. He will resist it. It's just how he is. Stubborn as the day is long. The dog gives me headaches. LOL I'm hoping he will like it but I know he won't. He never does. He's the only dog that's ever come to the rescue thin and stayed thin. Granted, he's gained weight and being older and because he was so thin I wanted him to gain slowly, but he's ridiculous. He should have gained more by now than he has. I've even take him to the vet for an injection to improve his appetite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs