Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM

718 posts, read 2,362,091 times

Advertisements

For the first time in 37 years, I am without a dog. Since moving at the end of May, both of our black labs have died. These are dogs we have had for the last 11 and 10 years! The 11 year old was my birthday present the month before we got married. My husband seems oblivious, but he did not have dogs growing up. My kids miss them, but they have other things to keep them busy. I come home and I miss the wagging tails and the vocal "welcome home" my Hannah use to give. It is like losing a member of the family, but I seem to be the only one having a difficult time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 11:45 AM

570 posts, read 1,821,023 times
I totally understand how you feel. I had a dog who passed away, my parents got him for my sister and I when we were 8 and 9. He passed away at 15 when in our early 20's. My sister and I had a hard time dealing with the loss, but my parents told us its how life is, you come and you go. They were sad and felt a void like me and my sis, but we took it as if we lost a human family memeber, the same way you felt. Maybe it was because we got him as small kids and he grew up with us, I don't know. But the pain was to great and we got new puppy three days later. He didn't fill the void, but he certainly distracted us because it felt like I brought a human baby home with all the whining at night, lol. It will take some time, but you will eventually be able to get over the pain. You have 11 years of memories that will live forever in your heart.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM

341 posts, read 1,674,210 times
I feel for you - we have always had 2 dogs in our home and the oldest at 15 past in Feb - still have the 5 yr old -
AS they say "they are family members" and we do miss their waagging tails, their kisses, their crying to go for a walk - give it a bit of time - everyone shows their emotions differently - give your husband some time - in a few months or weeks - you and he may feel the need to have another dog - but relish the memories -
My sister in law and brother had their 14 yr old lab pass on about 8 months ago and just the other day the rescued one from the humane society - took them sometime
Best of luck and my prayers are with you at this loss...

Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
I am sorry for the losses you've recently faced, I do know how difficult it is to lose a loving pet

If you unsure if the rest of the family is ready for new members, why not volunteer some time with your local humane society? Let's face it, no dog will ever replace the ones you lost as they are all unique in character. However, there are many just wanting some bonding time while waiting for their forever homes and it can help in easing the void that your facing right now.

Many humane societies utilize foster home programs for the dogs to better get an idea of their "personality" and to get some basic home training in and that might be something you could have fun with as well

Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
I had a peek-a-poo from when I was 6 until I was 28. That's right, she lived for 22 years. Her death was the hardest things I ever encountered (at that time in my life). I remember missing her so badly that I would cry---sometimes a few years later too. It's like losing a family member. The person who is closest to the dog always mourns the most. My peak-a-poo was basically my baby. I didn't have a need to have children until after she passed away. I'm so sorry for your loss. Things get better with time. Other dogs will win your heart when you're ready.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
For the first time in 37 years, I am without a dog. Since moving at the end of May, both of our black labs have died. These are dogs we have had for the last 11 and 10 years! The 11 year old was my birthday present the month before we got married. My husband seems oblivious, but he did not have dogs growing up. My kids miss them, but they have other things to keep them busy. I come home and I miss the wagging tails and the vocal "welcome home" my Hannah use to give. It is like losing a member of the family, but I seem to be the only one having a difficult time.
I haven't had to go through that yet, but I know one day I will! I love all three of my dogs as if they were my children and just thinking about not having them here makes me cry! I can't even imagine what your going through.. I'm very sorry! Have you thought about possibly getting a new dog or puppy?? I know that it definitely wouldn't replace your babies, but you would have a new pup to greet you when you come home and be there all the time to love you! I'm not sure if I will be able to get a new dog once all of mine pass, but I think it would help a little to have a dog there, you know? Again, I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope things get better for you!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:28 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times
I, too, am sorry to hear of the loss and resulting emptiness you feel. when we spent a period of time without a dog, after losing our lab to lymphoma, the house felt sooooo empty! It was unbearable, really. In about 6-8 mos we got another lab pup. While we still miss the pets we've lost (family members, really, as someone said), it is great to have those wagging tails -- "happy tails", as I like to call them. Voluteering has been suggested - a good idea. Try your local shelter organization, or contact your area breed rescue. Fostering would be a great way to fill the hole for a while, and you'd be giving a deserving pooch a chanceat a new life. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM

718 posts, read 2,362,091 times
Thanks for all the kind words and support. I know there are plenty of people out there who feel the same I do about pets. Sampson and Hannah were our first two children. They were big black labs, weighed about 80 pounds, and were the biggest babies you could imagine. Then our children came along. The dogs always got put on the back burner, they were kicked out of the house to the basement (still had AC and Heat), but they still gave that never ending, unconditional love.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,193,703 times
I'm so sorry for your losses. May your doggies have a good time over the Rainbow Bridge.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,608,823 times
I lodt my baby shar-pei Wacky last week...I know how much a dog can mean .....I could never live without dogs!!!

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs