Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,356,696 times

Advertisements

When I got LadyBug 4 months old she run to me crawl up my legs to my lap & Pee on me! IF anyone came within 10 ft of her! Now at 9 months old she goes out to people boldly stand and Barks at people. BUT unless she knows them she still runs to me if they get in 5 feet of her! No peeing no lap crawling just hides under my feet! When she see the Same person the 2nd time she all over them like a long lost friend!

IS this normal for a Papillon to react this way? Or is she still got to build more confidence in herself & people? & any suggestion on what more I can do to get her over this last hump? Actually Katies got her this far LOL Everytime someone come she Watches Katies reaction & copies! Katie IS a pet me pet me dog LOL So I thinking I should get up & leave her & just walk closer to the person. Or should I just keep out of it & let her figure it out! I dont want to Push her into something she not ready for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,130,991 times
Each dog is different but this is normal behavior for many puppies and young dogs. Build her confidence by being a confident leader for her. You can do this by setting and enforcing rules of behavior through obedience training and the use of nilif (nothing in life is free). If she has basic obedience skills (come, sit, down, stay), agility lessons are fun as well as a great confidence booster.

Encourage, but don't force her to explore new things under your supervision. Take her to as many different places as you can, even if just to sit outside a place she can't go in so that she can observe many people. BUT, she does not need to actually greet everyone. It's perfectly legitimate for you to tell people to ignore her and just let her watch them. Don't coddle her when she acts "shy," but also don't force her to greet anyone.

Papillons are great and very intelligent little dogs that do very well in sports such as obedience, rally, and agility. If you can find it, read MEMOIRS OF A PAPILLON by Genevive. Memoirs of a Papillon: The Canine Guide to Living with Humans Without Going Mad: Amazon.ca: Genevieve, Dennis Fried: Books It's a very cute book and captures the breed's personality beautifully.

And don't worry about your little girl, she's just going through a stage. As long as you give her the leadership and direction she needs she'll soon gain confidence.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,356,696 times
Thanks I wasnt sure Never had a Papillon before LOL When I got Katie [PemCorgi] She was So INTO People I went into shock LOL Had Shelties! The are more stand offish LOL LadyBug goes from Sheltie stand offish to Corgi Pet me Pet me LOL But sure beats being peed on gggrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs