U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM

2,051 posts, read 3,134,139 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here fed the Nutrish 6 by Rachel Ray to their dog(s)? It's pretty expensive, wondering if it's better than some of the other brands?
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,440,430 times
Although I have purchased her dog food in the past, after doing some research, I would not purchase it for my dogs now. I love that she gives a percentage of sales to shelters but the health of my dogs ranks above that...

Here is a site that may help...

Dog Food Reviews - All Products - Powered by ReviewPost

Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM

36,502 posts, read 49,756,320 times
I have no idea how healthy this dog food is but as a general rule I avoid buying anything with celebrity endorsement. It is just more money in some "star's" pocket and they have very little input into the contents, design, efficacy, etc of the product.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 30,411,654 times
I got a sample in the mail once. Artie sniffed it and walked away. That said, he *knows* that he's grain intolerant, smart boy.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,247,054 times
Looking at the ingredients of Nutrish 6, it doesn't look bad, but if it's pricy, you could do better. The regular Nutrish ingredients aren't nearly as good (corn gluten etc). I do like Rachel Ray and I think all the proceeds from the dog food are supposed to go to charity, but I'd rather feed something a little higher quality.
Did you ask because of the segment the other day with the little kid that liked to eat the treats?
I happened to catch that, and her dog Isaboo.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,979,855 times
My dogs seem to like it. Seems to have good ingredient list. They did have so many veggies their stools were a little soft at the beginning but got used to it. I mix it with other meat as the top ingredient foods as well as some of those new bologna style foods they have in freezers. I like the fact it goes to charity as well.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,593,209 times
regular nutrish is junk
the just 6 is "better" but for that price range you can do alot better...
(or for that quality you can get aot cheaper)

first ingreditent is lamb meal, this is good because meal is ctually more meat than jsut "lamb"...and its the first ingreident...
its folowed by brown rice...which if your going to go with grains, this is the best choice...so yay
but then its followed by GROUND rice...the food already has rice in it so why add more?! filler...and csice rice and more rice are the 2nd and 3rd ingredients theres more rice than meat...
Beet pulp comes next, beet is another cheap filler and has been linked to tear staining, its not bad...but i wouldnt be paying extra for it....poultry fat and "natural chicken flavor" (chicken stock im assuming?) finnish it up.

this food is comparable to diamond naturas, 4-health and kirkland in terms of quality...
its not a BAD food...but price wise, petfood direct has a 14lb bag for 22.99... ($1.64 per lb)
diamond naturals lamb and rice (comparable food) is selling for 34.49 ($0.86 per lb)
(and i personally buy this food from my local feed store for $28.99 a bag so even cheaper)

quality = Good (not great, but good)
price = Eh...you can get something same quality for cheper or at that price range you can do better!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM

2,051 posts, read 3,134,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Looking at the ingredients of Nutrish 6, it doesn't look bad, but if it's pricy, you could do better. The regular Nutrish ingredients aren't nearly as good (corn gluten etc). I do like Rachel Ray and I think all the proceeds from the dog food are supposed to go to charity, but I'd rather feed something a little higher quality.
Did you ask because of the segment the other day with the little kid that liked to eat the treats?
I happened to catch that, and her dog Isaboo.
The reason that I asked was because I have a coworker who use to buy the Purina Plan One ( or whatever the most expensive purina brand is) for her dog who she says suffers from skin allergies. He breaks out in little bumps. She was feeding him the lamb and rice. Now she has decided that the RR dogfood seems to be the best out there and she is supplementing it with her own home cooked food such as lean turkey & rice mixture. She then freezes it, when she takes a bag out, she mixes the RR into it. Her pit mix is also overweight!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 PM

7,329 posts, read 15,247,054 times
Well, it doesn't sound like she's feeding anything bad, just overfeeding. And probably overpaying for the quality, but that's her business. Unless the dog is horribly obese, I'd leave it alone.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,443,789 times
Just rec'd a free sample today...lets see what my boys think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs