Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,763 times

Advertisements

Thank you all of your kind words of support. Sorry I wasn't on here to update everyone.

I did speak with the cop directly. It turns out this guy has feral cats on his property that he feeds. He had shot a dog in the past (his admission) that had come on his property. Unfortunately the dog doesn't even need to be aggressive, you only have to deem him a threat to shoot. He was near his cats so he got shot.

It's not something I could ever imagine doing, but I can't say I blame him. He was trying to protect his cats. The whole thing has just been unfortunate and to have it come to this just breaks my heart in a million little pieces.

Unless the guy changes his story, the police said there really wasn't anything they could do. We have our big dopey boy back now and I'm just going to take a break for the next couple of days and move on. I am still trying to find the lesson or silver lining in this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
Thank you all of your kind words of support. Sorry I wasn't on here to update everyone.

I did speak with the cop directly. It turns out this guy has feral cats on his property that he feeds. He had shot a dog in the past (his admission) that had come on his property. Unfortunately the dog doesn't even need to be aggressive, you only have to deem him a threat to shoot. He was near his cats so he got shot.

It's not something I could ever imagine doing, but I can't say I blame him. He was trying to protect his cats. The whole thing has just been unfortunate and to have it come to this just breaks my heart in a million little pieces.

Unless the guy changes his story, the police said there really wasn't anything they could do. We have our big dopey boy back now and I'm just going to take a break for the next couple of days and move on. I am still trying to find the lesson or silver lining in this...
I would take civil action.

I know I likely would not win however, I could cost him a fortune dragging though the court system.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would take civil action.

I know I likely would not win however, I could cost him a fortune dragging though the court system.
Why? The neighbor was obviously within his legal bounds, so why further reduce the efficiency of the local court system with such a frivolous suit? It wasn't even the op's personal dog.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Why? The neighbor was obviously within his legal bounds, so why further reduce the efficiency of the local court system with such a frivolous suit? It wasn't even the op's personal dog.

Because I could.

Hopefully after I cost him a few years and lots of his money he will think twice before picking up a gun.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Because I could.

Hopefully after I cost him a few years and lots of his money he will think twice before picking up a gun.
Uh. Small claims court is usually under 100$ and requires no lawyers. Most states still consider pets as property so the case would most likely not escalate to civil court.

Plus it is taking up time for actual cases.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Uh. Small claims court is usually under 100$ and requires no lawyers. Most states still consider pets as property so the case would most likely not escalate to civil court.

Plus it is taking up time for actual cases.

Who said small claims???

I would see it went to circuit court.

My emotional pain would be priceless.

No...I would not win....it just would cost him.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Who said small claims???

I would see it went to circuit court.

My emotional pain would be priceless.

No...I would not win....it just would cost him.

And you do realize they can file a counter claim for legal costs, right? Plus, anything above small claims needs to be >5k (in my state), and requires a lawyer.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
And you do realize they can file a counter claim for legal costs, right? Plus, anything above small claims needs to be >5k (in my state), and requires a lawyer.
Yes, that would be my plan, make him pay a lawyer.

Of course, he would counter file.

That would cost him too.

I could get enough medical to bock his getting costs.

It is all in the documentation.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
I'm sorry this all happened.

"Her psycho neighbor said the dog crossed his property this morning, and shot him with his rifle."

Does this neighbor have any livestock?
He can shoot any dog that comes on to his property to protect his livelihood.

Why wasn't this dog on a leash or in a fenced in area?
Why was it let loose to run unsupervised in a area that was not fenced in?

Last edited by snofarmer; 01-31-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I'm sorry this all happened.

"Her psycho neighbor said the dog crossed his property this morning, and shot him with his rifle."

Does this neighbor have any livestock?
He can shoot any dog that comes on to his property to protect his livelihood.

Why wasn't this dog on a leash or in a fenced in area?
why was it let loose to run unsupervised on a area that was not fenced in?
That is the way I read it too.

The whole thing was a bad deal all of the way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs