Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times

Advertisements

My 100lb yellow lab and 50lb beagle/basset dragged my husband down the street this morning!

He came into the house looking like he had been in a motorcycle accident!

They saw a dog walking down the street (a BIG brown dog!) and decided that they wanted to get to know him better.

Well, the labrador wanted to know the BIG brown dog better; the beagle basset wanted to eat the BIG brown dog!

Hubby's leg was twisted in the leashes, and he fell over onto the pavement.

While laying in the street, he quickly grabbed the dogs' collars with both hands but they managed to drag him up the street!

He said he was fortunate the the BIG brown dog was well trained.

They all ended up right next to the BIG brown dog, hubby laying on the ground holding on for dear life, the labrador wagging it's tail and smelling the BIG brown dog, and the beagle-basset trying to attack the BIG brown dog.

The owner of the BIG brown dog simply said "stay" and he did--even with all the drama surrounding him!

Good BIG brown dog!

Bad labrador and beagle-bassset!

Poor hubby! (He's been giving them the silent treatment all morning!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,380,526 times
Did you have to go in the other room.lol, I know its not really funny but I'd of been fighting back the laughter.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:50 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,637,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My 100lb yellow lab and 50lb beagle/basset dragged my husband down the street this morning!

They saw a dog walking down the street (a BIG brown dog!) and decided that they wanted to get to know him better.

Well, the labrador wanted to know the BIG brown dog better; the beagle basset wanted to eat the BIG brown dog!

While laying in the street, he quickly grabbed the dogs' collars with both hands but they managed to drag him up the street!

They all ended up right next to the BIG brown dog, hubby laying on the ground holding on for dear life, the labrador wagging it's tail and smelling the BIG brown dog, and the beagle-basset trying to attack the BIG brown dog.

The owner of the BIG brown dog simply said "stay" and he did--even with all the drama surrounding him!

Good BIG brown dog!

It's time to send pooches to "GOOD DOG SCHOOL". It's never to late. By the way there is no such thing as a "BAD LABRADOR". There may be bad beagles, sheppards, poodles etc., but no bad labs. How do I know? Cause "LABS RULE".

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/IMG_0006.jpg (broken link)

Seriously though. It may be time for obedience school. Good luck to you.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,531,320 times
A no pull halter may help also many kinds available.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 AM

570 posts, read 1,821,223 times
Quote:
Did you have to go in the other room.lol, I know its not really funny but I'd of been fighting back the laughter.
Yeah, its not funny what your husband went through. But this will definately be a good laugh for him later on once he gets over this. I hope he wasn't hurt to badly. I didn't know labs weighed over 100lbs! Wow, their huge.

Quote:
A no pull halter may help also many kinds available.
I agree, I actually use a harness with my two dogs with a retractable leash. My dogs are only 6lbs and 10lbs, but you wouldn't believe how strong my 10lb dog is. When he really wants to check something out he will try pull me back with all his little might, well at least he attempts to.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:02 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,283,783 times
I'm sorry for what your husband went through, but I do have to agree that training is in order before your dogs injure or get injured by another dog. Even worse if the other human were to try to stop things and they got bit!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Good BIG brown dog!

he, he, he..... I don't mean to laugh but it's happened to me except i have a 110lb malamute/shepard and an 85lb akita/mal so I know EXACTLY how your hubby feels. My two tried to go after a deer (they spotted in the woods while we were walking on the side of the road) with me dragging along the ground like i was a little twig instead of a full grown adult. very upsetting when it's happening but in a few days/week he'll laugh about it. Thankfully, he wasn't too hurt. BRAVO for holding on to them.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,420,704 times
I think its time to use the Gentle Leader that somebody (Sam ?) brought up. I use it, and it dosent give the dog the option of running off with him hehe. I bought mine on eBay for like $15 incl shipping.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,637,961 times
I've read a lot about the Gentle Leader and know many people who use it. Most people here on this forum know I use choke collars on my pooches. I've explained why and don't need to rehash. The Gentle Leader is an alternative to the countless other dog collars on the market. The problem is that many people have bought into the misconception that putting a Gentle Leader on their dog will miraculously cure all their problems. This is simply not true. The people at Gentle Leader are very clear about their product. Here is an excerpt from their literature.

Helps Manager Other Behavior Problems - "Under the supervision of a trained professional, the Gentle Leader ® can be an effective tool, in an individual behavior modification program for problems such as fear, anxiety, agression, etc. Many professionals and owners have reported a calming effect on their dogs".

Bottom line, nothing is a substitute for a well trained dog!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,420,704 times
Its not a substitute, its an aid. It makes walking dogs allot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs