Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,816 times

Advertisements

I wanted to dedicate this thread to any one that has had fosters or would like to post pictures.

I myself have had a total of five fosters in the last year 1/2.

The very first day I went to volunteer a guy came rushing through our door saying he's found an older dog. So I went outside to his car; low and behold was a little Rat Terrier. She was covered in a horrible smell and he breath was so bad I couldn't sit next to her. So I took her to the vet for a check up; only to find out her kidneys were failing. I had her for about four months and then I got an email saying he owner thinks that is her dog. So we set up a meeting and of course it was her dog. She made up all kinds of lies and I just hated myself when I had to let her go back. He name while she was with me was Muttida. She turned out to be 16 years old.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/fluff_n_tuck/FosterDogs/muttilda.jpg (broken link)

The week after Muttilda went home some one dropped off a six week Boxer Pit bull puppy. Well I spent that whole day holding her. She slep most of the day. Evereyone was trying to find out where she should go. We din't want her going to a shelter so I sucked it up and said I'll take her home and nurse her back to health. It turned out her owner bought her and when her boyfriend said he didn't want a dog she got rid of her. She was a great puppy and we started training later thatw eek once hse had settled in. By the time she was adopted she knew sit, down, wait, easy, treat, off, and bed time. I had her until she was around 17 weeks old so almost three months. We named her Runzel (wrinkles in German) but they renamed her Olive...
A little older playing with Buster:

The day she left:

Last update when she was 5 months:

Well shortley after that a Dachshund from the city needed a foster so he came home with me for a week. I don't really know much about him, but while he was here he started getting sick and I found out he had heartwarms and was in the late stages. He passed away shortley after that week I had him. Bless his soul. He was a stray and around five years old; his name was Sebastian.

Then Little Dwezil came along. He was a stray Chihuahua I was doing a good deed for. He was being boarded at a vet office and since our rescue was going through some bumpy times with money I said he could come home with me and that would save us 200-300 bucks. I only had him for about 3-5 days and we got a phone call saying his owner was putting up signs for a lost dog and it was Dwezil. His owner had been looking for him since he went missing and he started crying when he saw him. We let him know we took good care of him and he got to sleep in the bed and had toys, food, water etc and plenty of play and love tme. I found out when he came to pick him up Little Dwezil was 21 years old and walks three miles a day. All I can say is I hope I'm in that good of shape when I get that old.

So who has had fosters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,110 times
Good for you for being able to foster. I would get to attached. I admire the folks that can keep a dog, take care of it and make sure it gets a good home. The best I can do is pull and transport. That way there's no way I can keep the dog.

They are all adorabe and very lucky to have you.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM

My sister is still upset I let a couple adopt Runzel. I had her for so long it was really hard to give her up. The way I look at it is If I hadn't fostered most of them two would have been put to sleep. And Whent hey leave I just have to tell myself it leaves room for another to come in. Although now that I have Teddie I can't really foster any more. We now have four dogs, three ferrets, a hamster and a fish. We're full!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Bless your heart!...

I absolutely love the story of Dwezil....I'm so happy that the owners came forward with posters and such....21 years old, eh?....he was a lil' grandpa, wasn't he...reading spectacles and all.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Bless your heart!...

I absolutely love the story of Dwezil....I'm so happy that the owners came forward with posters and such....21 years old, eh?....he was a lil' grandpa, wasn't he...reading spectacles and all.
The glasses don't have any glass in them. They are really old dolls glasses and I just couldn't resist. He was pretty happy with anythingso he didn't mind me taking a few goofy pictures. Yep 21 years old and walked 3 miles a day everyday rain or snow. He had been a stray his whole life (10-16 years) until his owner took him in. It was a bitter sweat ending!!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Thank you for reminding me that I should update my beagle/basset's foster. She'd love to know how he's doing!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,810 times
Awww those were sweet pictures! I would LOVE to foster by my dog now just wont have it and we have so much on our plate. If we fostered I'd want to be able to give that animal all the time and attention in the world. Plus, I'd probably have a REALLY hard time letting them go! I get so attached to all of my animals....I think its great that you foster! There are always animals in need of good foster homes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs