Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

I'm on here specifically to cure people of this idea that all pit bulls are vicious, stupid dogs which can't do nothing but fight or bite.

Moderator cut: name calling I have raised 3 American Pit Bulls in my life w/ infants and small children born and raised around them. They are loyal, protective and smart. Instead of having a gun in North Minneapolis, I just have my Ne-C. She protects me and my girls (no males around), no one can pick up, hug or touch either me or my girls without her right beside that person either mean mugging them or staying close to that person. Oh, did I leave out barking, growling or biting. Well, yeh I did because not all pitts do that!

My last pitt "Corrupt" named after the government. Moderator cut: off topic

So, people should know what they are talking about. Also, if you don't know how to raise a pit bull and fully know all of the things that you must do and what for----well, don't get one. They are what their masters make them to be. Anyone got something to say, please send me something because I will let you know what's really going down. Moderator cut: please...just please I'm a Pit Bull lover, wouldn't get nothing else.

I'm tired of these stereotypes made from people who are uneducated on the behavior and everything else about pit bulls. Check the owners, living conditions, behavior patterns and outsider's actions to these dogs---then make your ASSUMPTION!

Peace and Hair Grease, to all you Pit Bull Lovers
Everyone else-Get a grip cause you're not getting my dog!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-07-2007 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Calling people idiots straight off the bat like that isnt going to help any cause.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I agree with brianh you are rude...

Some friends you got carring guns! What do you think a dog will do against a gun! DUH!!!!!!!

Last edited by Katie1; 09-07-2007 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 12:56 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
People come of their opinions due to the extreme media reporting on anythig negative done by a pit bull. Believe me it pizzes me off as well as my english bull dog sometimes gets lumped in.
There are bad owners and despicable breeders out there who breed & own these dogs for all the wrong reasons.

That said, you are certainly not going to enlighten anyone if you start your post off by calling people idiots.........of course you did BUY from a reputable breeder who breeds for the betterment of the breed not some back yard breeder charging $300 ....

Old 09-07-2007, 02:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,806 times
I am very glad that you have a positive attitude when it comes to "pit bulls". Just as previous posts said, you shouldn't call people like that. I get pissed off too when people think that "pit bulls" are blood - thirsty mean animals. But, don't call them like that. That's rude...

Old 09-07-2007, 02:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Personally I wouldn't have one as a pet unless it came from a reputable breeder (no street pups you can buy for $50 in someone's basement) and I got it as a puppy and raised it myself.

Those of you who ARE serious about the bull breeds have to do a lot of PR work and damage control due to the ignoramuses who have destroyed this breed. Like so many other breeds before it, because of their popularity i.e. the collies, the cocker spaniels, the dalmations, etc.

Your dog will be held to a higher standard of behavior than other breeds and rightly so - do to these ignoramuses. Get used to it.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:53 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunyaBiznes View Post
I'm on here specifically to cure people of this idea that all pit bulls are vicious, stupid dogs which can't do nothing but fight or bite.

Moderator cut: name calling I have raised 3 American Pit Bulls in my life w/ infants and small children born and raised around them. They are loyal, protective and smart. Instead of having a gun in North Minneapolis, I just have my Ne-C. She protects me and my girls (no males around), no one can pick up, hug or touch either me or my girls without her right beside that person either mean mugging them or staying close to that person. Oh, did I leave out barking, growling or biting. Well, yeh I did because not all pitts do that!

My last pitt "Corrupt" named after the government. Moderator cut: off topic

So, people should know what they are talking about. Also, if you don't know how to raise a pit bull and fully know all of the things that you must do and what for----well, don't get one. They are what their masters make them to be. Anyone got something to say, please send me something because I will let you know what's really going down. Moderator cut: please...just please I'm a Pit Bull lover, wouldn't get nothing else.

I'm tired of these stereotypes made from people who are uneducated on the behavior and everything else about pit bulls. Check the owners, living conditions, behavior patterns and outsider's actions to these dogs---then make your ASSUMPTION!

Peace and Hair Grease, to all you Pit Bull Lovers
Everyone else-Get a grip cause you're not getting my dog!
I agree with a lot of what you said. I didn't get to read it all because stuff was cut out, but I do agree with what I could read.

I agree that people need to do their own research and learn the truth about these breeds, but the truth is, most people won't do that. Most people would rather believe all of the crazy myths and twisted around, over dramatic media stories because it is more interesting and it gives them something to hate and complain about! Telling people like that the truth won't do anything, all we really can do is show people like that the truth. Being "pit bull" owners, we need to be the best, most responsible, most respectful owners we can possibly be. Actions really do speak louder than words.

Now, I also agree that most people should not get these breeds. It drives me nuts when I have "pit bull" owners asking me questions about the breeds! Everyone needs to do research on any breed before they get it. The "pit bull" breeds are not the only breeds that aren't right for everyone. There are a lot of working breeds, dominate breeds, smart breeds, terrier breeds, breeds that tend to be stubborn, etc and breeds like that are most definitely not for most people. When people get a breed that's not right for them, they are just begging for serious problems for everyone.. Themselves, the people and animals around them and the dog! If people would just take the time to do some research before getting a dog we wouldn't have nearly as many problems as we do!.. For example, I can't stand to see "pit bulls" chained up outside! First of all, no dog should ever be chained up period and second, if those people would have done their research that dog wouldn't be outside! The "pit bull" breeds get very attached to their owners very quickly and they are not for people that want an outside dog or people that won't be home a lot. Yes, they were originally breed to fight animals (bull bait and dog fight), but at the same time, they were bred to be amazingly trustworthy, stable, human-friendly family pets! They are not outside dogs! I can't stand when someone owns a "pit bull" breed and they never walk it! These are terriers, working breeds, they have a lot of energy and need a lot of exercise every single day no matter what! If you can't handle that, don't get a "pit bull"! They are also not dogs that should be treated like babies! Well, no dog should, but these breeds are dominate breeds, they need an experienced owner that can and will properly raise, train and socialize them, show them who is in charge and keep them under control! If only people that were educated on these breeds and were willing and able to do what needed to be done for these breeds got them, they would not have the horrible image they do today. It really isn't the breed, "pit bulls" are no more inherently dangerous to people than other dog breeds. People often assume that "pit bulls" are human aggressive because they were bred to fight animals. This is simply not true! If that were the case then Irish Wolfhounds, Anatolian Shepard's, Great Pyrenees, etc should be considered dangerous to humans as well.

My husband and I own three APBTs, Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda. All three of them love everyone! They will and have just let complete strangers walk into our home, but if they feel that my husband and I are actually in danger they get very protective. They absolutely live for children! They were raised around children and cannot contain themselves when children are around, even if it's a child they have never met! They are also very protective of children, even children they have never spent any real time around. They do get very excited when kids are around, but they do not jump on them or get too rough with them. They will let children play with their ears, tails and paws, they will let children lay all over them, they will even let children stick their hands in their mouths and they won't even play bit them! They will just sit there and let the kids do whatever they want to do! They get along wonderful with other animals, dogs and cats.. they really are just sweet dogs! We have never had them get aggressive with anyone, they have never been mean to anyone! The only time they do get a little aggressive is if they really feel that my husband and I are in danger and even then all they do is just sit down right in between us and the other person. They will keep their eyes on the other person as long as they feel that they are a threat, but they will not growl, bark or anything! They really are wonderful, friendly, trustworthy dogs and I wouldn't trade them for the world! Having to deal with all of the stereotypes, rude comments, crazy myths and media stories.. just all of the ignorance is completely worth it! Our dogs are like our children, we love them to death and would do anything for them, just as we know they would do the same for us. After owning "pit bulls" I really cannot see myself ever owning another breed! Nothing compares to a "pit bull"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Calling people idiots straight off the bat like that isnt going to help any cause.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I agree with brianh you are rude...

Some friends you got carring guns! What do you think a dog will do against a gun! DUH!!!!!!!
I agree

Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times
I've yet tos ee some one here who is totally against the Pit bull breed. They may not be peoples favorite breed, but I've yet to of seen any one here say anything bad.

I personally love the Pit Bull, Staffie, APBT, Mutts. I work with a rescue and all of my dogs are mutts or have been rescues. I've just made a thread showing some of the bully breeds I work with and there stories. Two of my favorites were strays and they couldn't be better companions. Ziggy and Blue are both amazing animals and love other dogs, children, cats, etc.

I agree you ave to be careful with where you get your dog, but it doesn't just go to bully breeds. Labs, Shepherds, Akitas, etc. They are plenty of other breeds and the list could go on.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:01 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
I've yet tos ee some one here who is totally against the Pit bull breed. They may not be peoples favorite breed, but I've yet to of seen any one here say anything bad.

I personally love the Pit Bull, Staffie, APBT, Mutts. I work with a rescue and all of my dogs are mutts or have been rescues. I've just made a thread showing some of the bully breeds I work with and there stories. Two of my favorites were strays and they couldn't be better companions. Ziggy and Blue are both amazing animals and love other dogs, children, cats, etc.

I agree you ave to be careful with where you get your dog, but it doesn't just go to bully breeds. Labs, Shepherds, Akitas, etc. They are plenty of other breeds and the list could go on.
Oh, you will see it! lol! There are quite a few people on here that HATE the "pit bull" breeds and think they should all be killed! When I first joined CD I came across a lot of them, but recently I haven't heard too much about it.

Here, check out this thread.. //www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...pet-owner.html and this is nothing compared to what some people said when I first joined!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:09 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Oh, you will see it! lol! There are quite a few people on here that HATE the "pit bull" breeds and think they should all be killed! When I first joined CD I came across a lot of them, but recently I haven't heard too much about it.

Here, check out this thread.. //www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...pet-owner.html and this is nothing compared to what some people said when I first joined!
I haven't been here very long so I'm sure I will see more and more. I do see it every week first hand though. I at least get a look a smerk, a something from people at adoptions. In my bull breed thread I posted pictures of a dog named ziggy. Well I've had several people tell me we should have him put down just because of the fact he's a pit. At my rescue most fo the dos have some kind of pit in them or staffie or some type of bulliness. I hug and love and kiss on Ziggy every weekend and just let the people look at me as if I'm crazy. If I had the room I'd adopt him in a heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs