U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,582,432 times

Advertisements

sounds like a good idea to me. too bad it is only in major cities. Would you try something like this out?

Travel Kit - Doggie vacation: Pairing pooches with homestays
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM

15,858 posts, read 33,447,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
sounds like a good idea to me. too bad it is only in major cities. Would you try something like this out?

No, I would not.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...et+sitter+lost

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 102,841,020 times
I would never. I'd rather have my dogs locked in a boarding kennel cage than rely on someone to "petsit." My own SIL has temporarily lost my dogs every time they have stayed with her. It's a miracle they weren't lost forever. Somehow they get out of her fenced yard. I could just see the same thing happening if someone were watching them at our house just because I'm not the luckiest person. Nobody loves our dogs as much as their owners to be attentive enough.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,307,739 times
No only because I'm paranoid with other people......

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,821,703 times
I wouldn't say I'd never use it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a couple of reason. First, the risk of my dog getting out or getting into something that could harm him in a home environment are greater. Second, it doesn't seem clear what would happen if my dog where to ruin something in the home. My dog is well behaved but what if he where to puke on an expensive rug or something. There seems to be a lot of ways things could get sticky.

Now I also have a kennel I love and my dog seem happy to go there. If my dog hated the kennel or had other special needs I might be more inclined to consider something like this. The article describes someone who placed their dog with an animal trainer while they were on vacation. I would probably be more comfortable with someone like that than the average pet owner.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,082,907 times
Quote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this qualifies as a 'pet-sitter', but I have had the same person take care of my dog (well, now 2nd dog as the first one passed after 13 years), since 1998. I live out in the sticks, so they are not only on the major cities. This person is a life-saver for me. I had to go to California for 3 months, and she took care of the dog, 24/7. She comes 5 days a week to the house for hours, and fully takes care of my dog, bringing treats, feeding her, going on walks, car rides, etc. She is a retired little old lady, that used to volunteer at the local SPCA. I am her only customer.
I need this because we are not around for 14 hours a day. My sister in NYC also has a similar setup.

Personally, I would do the 'Doggie vacation' thing, but not in a group with other dogs present.
YMMV.

I wouldn't leave my dog in a kennel if you paid me, though one near me is awesome:
http://www.muddycreekanimalcare.com/...s-pet-boarding

Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM

9 posts, read 14,515 times
No, I would not. I owned a pet sitting business for years. A reputable pet sitter is the way to go if you need someone to take care of your pet(s) if you are going away. Just make sure they are insured, supported by local veterinarians, icome with excellent references and they spend time with your animals and puts them first and foremost. I advertised hour a visits and people would hire me as many times as they wished to come in for a day to feed them, walk them(if a dog), I'd play with them and groom them and more times then not I would stay with them more then an hour because I love animals and I wanted them to be happy and cared for the way I care for my own. There are good pet sitters out there, you just have to do your homework. Personally, I feel that it is way more stressful to my pet and myself to put them any invironment that is foreign to them. Its been a while since your post, I hope that you found a dependable, loving pet sitter for your furry children :-)

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM

653 posts, read 871,593 times
Quote:

I wouldn't use that service, or any. My kids go where I go. If they can't go, neither do I.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,082,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
I wouldn't use that service, or any. My kids go where I go. If they can't go, neither do I.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't use that particular service either (for reasons I stated in a previous post), or any service that is not in my home, done privately.

(OT) It is interesting that (according to the Census Bureau), that 23% of parents dump their children in daycare in an organized facility.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM

35,102 posts, read 47,589,985 times
Quote:

Never, always take the dog and cat with us when we travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs