Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,423 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My dog has leaky eyes, like a ton of other dogs do. I tried to clean the corners of his eyes and he dislikes when I do it with a paper towel, a towel and soap, warm water and a towel, or even with my hands. Also tried with dog shampoo when I gave him a bath last weekend but he won't really let me touch his eyes.

If I don't clean them up, he gets big brown booger things in the corner of his eyes. His eyes aren't nearly as bad as some dogs I know, who have brown fluid going from the corners of their eyes down to their nose. He just gets brown big "boogers".

Anyone know of a gentle way that I could clean his eyes? I could include a picture of his eyes as a reference if needed.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
I can not state this as fact, but it has worked wonders for us. Look at the food your feeding your dog. If it has artificial colors in it, that may be causing most of your problems. We have an American Eskimo, who had tremendous red colored tear stains. Bright Eyes burned and she too hated having her eyes cleaned even with soap and water. Since going to natural food with no fillers and no artificial colors her eyes have cleared themselves up. We were told that Red dye in particular can be a big part of the problem.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Clean the eye boogers, or the eye? You can try softening boogers with baby oil - they should get pretty mushy rather than get dry. I know my Shih Tzu gets upset if the discharge dries because it HURTS when I try to remove it. The baby oil lets it kind of slide off.

Hope that helps. Maybe I misunderstood the question!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Would be careful of getting any soap into the eye as it can irritate it, would try wiping it w/ just plain water and a flattened cotton ball (makeup pad/round disc) to get the crusties off, the previous 2 posters gave good advice re food and also baby oil would prob. be non-irritating. If it persists or starts bothering your dog, maybe get a referral from the vet to a canine opthamologist

Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone - I will try everything mentioned. It's not in his eye, just in the corner outside of it on the brown skin part. He just doesn't like anyone getting near his eyes all up close. I have used warm water most of the times but he even doesn't like that. I might see if I can get him to a groomer too this weekend. @ Sam I Am - I meant to say to clean the brown booger-crusties out of his eye area, but he has a general aversion to anyone getting close to his eyes. A professional groomer or something might be a good route. Thanks again!
I also checked the food he eats, there are no dyes in it. He's eaten the same food for the past 3 years so I am not sure that is the culprit. One of my co-workers suggested weather-related allergies or something, in the spring last year he got the same sort of eye crust. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
I use cotton balls and dip them in a bottle of sterile eye cleaner for people.
once the vet gave me some dog ointment for the corners of the dogs eye which did help.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Use a WARM Soft Wash Cloth... No Soap!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Use a WARM Soft Wash Cloth... No Soap!
I have been doing that...

Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,714 times
I just use a cotton ball soaked in warm water. After the water softens everything, I carefully comb them out with an eyelash comb.

Super easy and no chemicals. Takes less than a minute.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
No Human or animal likes Soap in or near their eyes! You mentioned Soap Twice in Org Post! Dont pull on the eye lids or get into the eye area at ALL. Lay the warm wet wash cloth over his eyes & nose few mins then gentle but firmly wipe from the eye down the path of the Tear Stains. Yes as 1 person said Red Dye in Dog Food Can cause Red Tears! AND in long term distroy Kidneys!

Last edited by Katie1; 03-09-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs