Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times

Advertisements

In late July of 2011 I adopted my dog, Hadley, from the animal shelter I have volunteered at for the past 6 years. This was a dog that I had been watching and calling the police on for at least 6 months, as he was tied to an oversized dog house in the middle of a field with no shade, and in the middle of a heat streak he had no constant water or food. Unfortunatly for his dog buddy, that dog accidently hung himself on his dog house and so Animal control took my dog, Hadley in. Hadley stayed in the pound for three days before his old owners decided to relinquish him and then I went there and took him home. He had horrible fly strike on his ears and only weighed 17 lbs.

I've had him for almost 8 months now and he weighs a solid, muscular 21 lbs. He's an off-leash guy, super smart and very very athletic.

I'm so curious to see what he is, but am hesitant to do a DNA test because I am not sure how reliable they really are. Have heard very mixed results.

This is his before and after picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eyBefore-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...apshot-109.png

And for size comparison, here is Hadley lying with my first dog Arizona who is a 76 pound border collie irish setter and lab mix.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...apshot-112.png

Personally, I see American Eskimo dog due to the perk ears, red nose, and of course white body. His tail also curls over his back and he's got very dainty feet. His previous owner said he was a rat terrier / blue heeler mix... which I find very unlikely.

If anyone has any ideas, then I'd be happy to hear them!

Tara

edit: oh, he does have tan freckles all over his ears and back if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
id say theres probably at least 5 or 6 breeds in this dogs makeup. the legs scream rat terrier or even possible "deer type" chihuahua...the face and ears scream Sheperd, chihuhauas do have a sickle (midly upward curling) tail and so do rat terriers when its not docked, in the second picture i do see some potential for healer in there too...

Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM

48,181 posts, read 22,026,263 times
First of all.....Hadley is one lucky dog......I am so glad that the universe brought you together. I love when a story turns out like that. Hadley is a scrappy little survivor.

There is a rat terrier in my son's family....from a shelter.....I can see rat terrier in your dogs legs and feet.

In the pic where he is lying down by himself.....he does have the look of a shepherd....but his size doesnt seem to validate that.
Again thank you for being an angel for Hadley...... He still looks as if he can't believe his stroke of good luck.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
Before I read your post, I looked at your pictures and thought White Shepherd mix. When I saw the weight, it's either mixed with something much smaller, or is a completely different dog.
Anyway, as everyone else said, Hadley's very lucky to have found you.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,433,671 times
Thought the same thing, white shep. mix but given the size difference, maybe american eskimo mixed w/ something else small - other suggestions were good too. Thx for helping him and adopting him

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Before I read your post, I looked at your pictures and thought White Shepherd mix. When I saw the weight, it's either mixed with something much smaller, or is a completely different dog.
Anyway, as everyone else said, Hadley's very lucky to have found you.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,427,167 times
Can't really venture a guess, but I love the photo with the big dog. So glad you two found each other.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM

48,181 posts, read 22,026,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Can't really venture a guess, but I love the photo with the big dog. So glad you two found each other.
I love that picture of them too......it is like Hadley finally has a "big brother" to watch out for him.....he is safe!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
You know, that picture makes me think of my dogs. One of them was also rescued from a yard where she was chained and starving. She too was with another dog. That one was too malnourished to make it. She lies with her head, leg, or whatever draped over our other dog much of the time. I've never had two dogs who were so close. Maybe she and Hadley had that strong bond with their former friends, who were all they had in the world, and need to carry it on with their new friends to feel secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs