Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,582,849 times

Advertisements

There is a large young female husky that comes to the dog park ( she is quite large for the breed!). she is not at all aggressive but she is a bully as there are certain smaller dogs she will pick on, Chaos being one of her targets. She comes over and clamps her mouth around their heads ( keep in mind Chaos is not small as she is 40lbs) she will not let go despite them rolling over and whinning and the ones she does bully all cower and slink away when they see her. Chaos is no coward but this husky really freaks her out so she slinks to the nearest person and looks for protection..well the other day the husky was hanging in a pack of dogs and something happened that triggered an old large dog to attack her, It was not a fight to hurt her but I think to teach her not to mess with him.( as he is a grumpy old grandpa of a dog). The Husky could have seriously injured him as she is younger and larger but as I said she is not aggressive and instead it freaked her out and she ran to the gate and wanted out so her owner left. He came back yesterday let her out of the car and instead of rushing down hill to the gate like she usually does she stood on top of the hill searching and when she saw the old timer was there she went back to her car and wanted in so her owner left.

Mind you Chaos , Buddy, Tylie and a few of the others she bullies were probably all cheering !

It will be interesting to see if she can get past this and a few people think well now she understands what being bullied is like she will leave the others alone..well sadly I do not think dogs think that way..

I know many of you do not like dog parks and many of you are against rough play well there is a very interesting article by Pat Miller in the March Wholedog Journal talking about dog bullies verses rough play. She feels it is wrong to allow your dog to be a bully as the other dog is not enjoyng it ( which I agree) but she is all for rough play when both dogs are into it. she says not allowing dogs to play rough can cause frustration and lead to aggression. I do allow my dogs to play rough and they have their little pack of dog park pals that they do play rough with and are allowed to do so as long as all seem to be having fun,they are dogs and not humans after all. But if you can get your hands on this article read it as it is interesting since a lot of trainers I know are against rough play. Chaos got busted for it and got time outs in puppy class yet her buddies from class all come to the park and they all love a rough and tumble game with her.Yup Chaos my girl takes on the boys! Often she has two pulling her and biting her at the same time and she is in heaven! But let that Bully Husky come over and she is terrified!

If you do not understand the difference between a dog being a bully and rough play by all means read the article as there is a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Why is her Owner allowing her to do this? He not much of a leader...

Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM

She belongs to an older couple, The lady has little control over her so no longer brings her. The man seems to not see that it is an issue being she is not being aggressive so it sort of falls on those of us who own dogs she targets.Her behavior with Chaos started almost like she seemed to think Chaos was her puppy ( when Chaos was a puppy) : However, now that Chaos is no longer a puppy it has continued. The husky is not a bad dog and she does well with most dogs but there are maybe 5 target dogs that all tend to be close in size and age to Chaos.

I really think she is too much dog for her owners as they are older and are rather quiet meek/mild people.

They were back at the park today and she did not bother any of her targets as the old grumpy dog was there so she was too busy watching him and staying away from him.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 AM

973 posts, read 2,140,950 times
I hate bully dogs. We live w/in walking distance (read 2 miles through our 'hood & a field, we love to walk. lol) . We take our 3-4yo male Sheltie, & our 2ish yo female Flat Coated Retriever (both are rescues, so age is guesstimated) to the dog park alot when it's at least decent out. We've had a few 'incidents'. One, I wasn't there, but, hubby told me of a dog the owner brought, & encouraged the dog to 'fight' w/ other dogs, & this dog was very aggressive & violent. Sad. Hubby said everyone pretty much just left. Just this last time, there was another aggressive dog, & another, non fixed dog there. Both kept picking fights w/ other dogs. I'm a huge, huge advocate of 'fixing' animals. I've had my 2 cats since they were kittens in '97 & '98 (lol) & both were fixed & are strictly indoor cats. My 2 dogs, are rescues & both were fixed before we adopted them. There are just so many unwanted & ill treated animals, it breaks my heart. I have no idea if the non fixing was an issue w/ this dog, but, other dogs were all over his 'area'. More than other dogs who were fixed. That was actually my 1st time seeing a non fixed male at the park. Obviously, I can't tell if a female is fixed. lol

Sorry. OT'ing. Other than those 2 instances, we've had extremely great times at our local dog park. It's wonderful, fully fenced, many benches, multiple trash cans & doggie poo bag areas. My Retriever knows when we drive to the park &, before, was on my hubby, the driver's lap, trying to get out, tail up & wagging. lol We just go a new car where there is an area in the back for dogs (hatchback) & we added the doggie guard, so they stay in the back. It's perfect. =)

Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,125,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
She belongs to an older couple, The lady has little control over her so no longer brings her. The man seems to not see that it is an issue being she is not being aggressive so it sort of falls on those of us who own dogs she targets.Her behavior with Chaos started almost like she seemed to think Chaos was her puppy ( when Chaos was a puppy) : However, now that Chaos is no longer a puppy it has continued. The husky is not a bad dog and she does well with most dogs but there are maybe 5 target dogs that all tend to be close in size and age to Chaos.

I really think she is too much dog for her owners as they are older and are rather quiet meek/mild people.

They were back at the park today and she did not bother any of her targets as the old grumpy dog was there so she was too busy watching him and staying away from him.
This is one reason trainers in gereral are against dog parks. You're lucky nothing serious has happened. If you continue to go I hope nothing ever does happen to your dog.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 AM

I stay near my dogs and when the bully Husky comes over I try to steer her away from Chaos as I keep saying she is not aggressive and seems to try to be gentle but the target dogs do not like the way she clamps her mouth around their heads. I really do not think she will hurt any of them she just has a weird way of playing As for rough play I allow it but I do keep an eye on the dogs and if any start getting a bit too agitated I pull mine out and make them calm down before they can go play again. I have been going to dog parks for over 16 years and did the leash free beach before as I feel letting dogs play is important and they end up well socialized . In all these years I have only seen a few fights that could be called serious and maybe end with a puncture but no big injuries. I have heard of a few deaths and they involved large dogs killing a small dog so I am not comfortable when little tiny dogs come try to play with the big dogs as they are too much like prey and in a pack setting dogs will respond more to prey and that ups the chances of the little guy being hurt /killed.

There will be bullies but they tend to not be aggressive if a dog is acting aggressive and bothering a dog that does not want to play I consider that an aggressive dog not a bully. A bully is that dog that wants to play but the other dog is sending every signal saying I do not want to play with you yet the "bully" keeps ignoring the signals and insisting the dog play.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
I guess our Present Dog was a bully of sorts for a while when she was younger--she was 1 year old when we rescued her, and after six months or so we dared let her off leash in the dog park. She was fine and gentle with most dogs, but at some point she started to play rough, encouraged by other rough-playing dogs her own size (GSD size). Within a few weeks she was sure she was Alpha extraordinaire, and did the head-clamping thing (and then we stepped in, of course, and put a leash on her). But nothing we did had as much effect as the day the REAL top Alpha dog of the park had had enough: She put Present Dog in her place; teeth bared and growling, she had PD on her back, and then she let her go. And since that day PD has been a model canine citizen, and in effect the new Alpha; she welcomes new dogs to the park, teaches puppies the ropes, and (quite a sight) defers to the (now old and frail) Alpha whenever she comes to the park, licking her face, ears back in submission! Under human supervision I'm all for dogs teaching each other manners if possible--it seems to be a lesson learned forever.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
Dog parks make me nervous. I've never taken my mini doxie to one...maybe if there was a special section for small dogs only I would consider it.

My dog and my roommate's dog play rough often. They like to chase each other and wrestle...I think it's fine. They never hurt each other and it's all in fun. I wouldn't let my dog play rough with a dog who was scared or not having fun. I just see them as boys being boys who likes to get dirty outside and rough house.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM

973 posts, read 2,140,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Dog parks make me nervous. I've never taken my mini doxie to one...maybe if there was a special section for small dogs only I would consider it.

My dog and my roommate's dog play rough often. They like to chase each other and wrestle...I think it's fine. They never hurt each other and it's all in fun. I wouldn't let my dog play rough with a dog who was scared or not having fun. I just see them as boys being boys who likes to get dirty outside and rough house.
Maybe search on the net? Our park has a little dog separate fenced area, and 2 other separate fenced areas, one is grass, the other is sand/gravel mix. I've taken our Sheltie to the little/passive dog area a few times, but he just whines to go back to where his 'sister' is. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs