Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM

378 posts, read 701,298 times

Advertisements

If some of you remember, about a month ago I adopted "Teddy" from a shelter (it was my choice between him and the catahoula). Things have been going pretty well except for a two minor behavioral quirks one being chewing, EVERYTHING he can get his hands on, but that I've kind of fixed by closing all doors when I leave or even am at home, and nothing is left around. However the second quirk is baffling to me:

Teddy paces at night. A lot.

I've let him sleep in the bed with Pinnie Lou and I, but I could not get a good night's sleep. In the middle of the night, at least three or four times he'd jump off the bed and pace from one side of my room to another corner, to another corner, to another corner. Then finally I'd call him and pull him back on the bed where he'd go to sleep, but an hour or two later would do the same thing. A couple of weeks ago he started just pacing back and forth from one side of my room to the other. One night he paced for 20 minutes straight. Unfortunately I was delirous with no sleep and I finally couldn't stand it anymore. I flew out the room, dragged his crate into the room and in he went. He was fine with it. So he basically sleeps in his crate in my room at night now. It's basically the only time he uses his crate besides the two hour 'nap time' I give them both in the afternoon.

But the pacing is just weird. It's one thing to walk around, but he just basically took the same back and forth route and never stopped until I'd had it. Some people think it may be a clue to how he was treated before. Some say he may have some kind of anxiety issue, but I wouldn't know why.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
Our black lab Bear paced when he was younger.

He even paced in the car.

We got him as a puppy.....most of the time we just had to tell him to lay down.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 PM

54 posts, read 328,625 times
Sure he doesn't have to go potty? Never know, he may be used to sleeping outside, or somewhere that he could relieve himself whenever he wanted, and now he feels confined and doesn't know what to do with himself.
I know the lack of sleep with a new dog stinks, but when he does it try taking him outside to go potty (can he go on command yet?). And try to bring him out, even if in your fenced yard, on a leash so he knows it's not playtime it's business time.
Our Weimaraner does this at night sometimes, partly because he is getting older, and I think partly because he has free reign outside most of the day and doesn't like to be restricted inside. He's always dying to get back outside!
Give it a try next time and see what he does, while outside, and also when he gets back to bed.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
Needing to go potty is a good reason to pace LOL BUT I too had a pacer! Drove me nuts! She was use to sleeping in a crate. I decided her days as mommy was over got her spayed & gave her freedom of the house! Just like I dont to my other females I retired from breeding! Turned them into house pets LOL but Bambi would have none of it! Finaly for my sanity she was crated at nite as per her normal!! How old is Teddy? Maybe being crated for sleeping is what he use to or feels secure with..

Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 AM

466 posts, read 1,057,865 times
I once fostered a dog, who was beaten up by his drunk owner, when he came back from the bar or pub. That was the reason for his pacing at night, I think. But he did it only the first two or three days, than I guess he realized that he was save now at night.
It sounds like that he maybe - like katie1 says - used to be crated at night and when you put him in a crate, he feels safe. Remember, dogs, like all canine, are den animals, like wolves and foxes started their life in a den after they were born and didn't get out till at they were at least 4-8 weeks old.
And with the chewing, puppies naturally chew when they are young, but when they are older and they still do it, it is your responsibility to tell them what they can chew and what they can't. Putting things away is not really a solution. Watch Cesar Millan, he had quite a few owner and their dogs with problem like that. It is pretty easy to fix it, I just can't explain it on paper very well.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,414,693 times
HA I just went through a whole week with this with my dane. He paced just ALL NIGHT LONG and I have hardwood floors so I can hear him. Drove me nuts!!!!! I barely got any sleep. He just started calming down, nothing I could really do, even if I tell him to lay down.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 PM

3,728 posts, read 12,348,466 times
yea - some dogs are just pacers (or in some cases patrollers). Our Gator, even at his advanced age (14) still gets up and checks the house around 4:00 am every night. He just does one circuit, drinks a little water then comes back to the bedroom & lays back down on his doggie bed. I'm a light sleeper & I aways hear him but its gotten to be an "all is well" type thing.

There was only once that he went into a spasm of barking and lunging at a back window. Got both DH and I up in a hurry to check it out. We didn't see anything but still wonder to this day if someone was out there and Gator scared them off

Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM

378 posts, read 701,298 times
YES I have hardwood floors and I hear his clickity clack back and forth from one side of my small bedroom to another.

I've taken him outside when he starts to pace, but he's not a go on command dog, and I usually stand at the door and just try to watch him to see if he pees and poops, but usually he just runs around and eats grass. I also think, after reading around on the web, that he may have some digestion problems. He eats grass, a lot, and of course vomits it up. Last night his stomach was gurgling so bad. I'd noticed a couple of days ago that his stool was a bit runny so for day two he's been on a bland rice/ground beef diet. I noted that one site said that they are having pain, some dogs may pace to try to 'get away' from the pain...which of course then made me feel bad for confining him to a crate.

I got him a bit of pepto bismol this morning and we're going to monitor for another day to see if anything changes, and if not, vet time. Today his stool was firmer, but was followed by a little bit of bloody mucus.

Teddy is around 3 and a half.

Thanks everyone

Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM

3,728 posts, read 12,348,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
YES I have hardwood floors and I hear his clickity clack back and forth from one side of my small bedroom to another.

I've taken him outside when he starts to pace, but he's not a go on command dog, and I usually stand at the door and just try to watch him to see if he pees and poops, but usually he just runs around and eats grass. I also think, after reading around on the web, that he may have some digestion problems. He eats grass, a lot, and of course vomits it up. Last night his stomach was gurgling so bad. I'd noticed a couple of days ago that his stool was a bit runny so for day two he's been on a bland rice/ground beef diet. I noted that one site said that they are having pain, some dogs may pace to try to 'get away' from the pain...which of course then made me feel bad for confining him to a crate.

I got him a bit of pepto bismol this morning and we're going to monitor for another day to see if anything changes, and if not, vet time. Today his stool was firmer, but was followed by a little bit of bloody mucus.

Teddy is around 3 and a half.

Thanks everyone
Anytime I see those words I say, PLEASE CALL THE VET AND MAKE AN APPT. Bloody mucus in a stool should never be considered a "minor issue" or a "wait and see" issue. Please call the vet tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM

809 posts, read 2,181,303 times
Possibly suffering from being cage bound. Especially if he was a rescue. Cage bound dogs will pace the space they formerly had to move around.

I haven't read all the posts but do you know his history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs