Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times

Advertisements

Some of the regulars here know I lost my amazing friend Rosco not so long ago. As dogs go he was my best bud through thick and thin. He is the one dog I will always grieve for.
How soon did you guys wait after losing a friend until adpoting another soul into your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Default Different for everyone

I know how you feel. We lost my hubby's Cocker Spaniel in October of 06, he had that dog through thick and thin for 15 years. We lost my Rhodesian Ridge back in May of this year, I had her through thick and thin for 12 years. Our children grew up with their perspective dogs. (we each brought a dog to the marriage) We miss them both dearly. Even with the kids still at home, the house feels empty without them.
About 2 months ago, we started going to the local Petsmart on Saturdays just to look at the shelter dogs they bring in, just to see how we would feel about being around other dogs. Then we started going to the shelter once every other week or so, "just to look". Well, Sunday we were there and a little grey sad sack of a mutt stole our hearts. We now can not wait until Thursday to bring her home. (that is the earliest day they will allow her to be adopted).
As it took us many months to be "ready" for another dog, we weren't even sure when it was right until that little mutt came along. So I guess you'll just know when it is the right time for you.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,371 times
It's going to be different for everyone. Although I don't think anyone should jump the week after and go get another pet. There have been several people like that, that come into our rescue.

My dog passes the week after Thanksgiving and soon after a foster fell into my lap. I adopted her out, but I had two more fosters after that. I now have Teddie who I am keeping after having him as a foster so it's been around ten months. I din't plan on keeping him though.

As I said it's going to be different for everyone. Only you will know when the time is rigt and when you've foudn the right dog.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,091 times
It was always never soon enough, for we never had a choice, always finding strays or being given them (we'd find dogs put in our backyard!)

Now that we've moved, though, we'd probably panic if we found a stray because we are nowhere near our vet (or a capable one) any longer. We'd never turn down a stray, and would end up hi-tailing it back home to our vet, like we do with our dog now.

We so wanted to adopt two earlier this year (we have just one doggie now for the first time ever due to the above), but had to heavily consider the vet situation in our area. Tough one

Last edited by Travel'r; 09-11-2007 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
It's an individual thing when it comes right down to it. I think one must realize first off that a new forever friend will never completely take the place of a previous friend as they are all unique. However, it does aide a little in filling the void. When you heart is ready, you'll know. You'll suddenly find yourself taking a look at critters up for adoption, possibly thinking of breeds and sizes Trust me, you'll know.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
The last time I lost a dog (after 22 years of being my best friend), I had my first child instead 10 months later. Years later, a friend of mine pointed that out that my dog had filled my baby void throughout my young adult life. When she was gone, it was time to have a real baby. That was 16 years ago. I have a large framed and matted drawing of her hanging in a prominent place in my hallway. She'll always be my first love.

I did wait five years to get another friend (our lab) when my child was four years old. Since the thought of losing another friend was too much for me, I added a second friend to the family when the lab was 10. So now I have two friends----the lab is (11) and the beagle/basset (3). We'll see if it hurts less to already have friends in the household when one goes, but that's my theory since I can't have any more children!

I truly think it's an individual thing. When the right friend turns up, you just know it's time!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times
I haven't had to go through that yet, thank God, but I really don't know how long I would wait. Right away I want to say that I would never get another dog, but when I really think about it, I know that I would. I would think it would be different for everyone. Some people might want to go get another pup soon after to help with the healing process and some might wait years. I guess it all depends on you and what you want. I'm sorry for your loss! Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I heard a lovely phrase about having "a dog-shaped place in your heart." I also think that you might have a "dog of a lifetime," once or twice, and the others are dear friends.
If you have a dog-shaped place that feels empty, then it could be time to find a new friend, preferably one who doesn't look exactly like the dog you lost (especially if it's a breed, not a mutt). The new dog should be able to charm you on its own terms, not as a replacement. Of course at first, "this dog isn't ___," but you very quickly come to love the new dog on its own merits.
I have lost two dogs in the past year, and adopted three. I seem to have a mental picture of a total number (currently six) and don't view myself as replacing one with another. Of course, if you adopt older dogs, as I do, you expect to lose them sooner and not later. One dog I lost I adopted at age 10 and lost him to age at 15. The other dog I got as a puppy, and he developed a rare form of liver failure at age 11. I was more attached to him than the others, and I miss him, but continue to feel a calling to adopt multiple older dogs. I will miss some more than others, but I honestly think you come to love any animal you take care of, and if you are missing having a dog or dogs in your home and life, that is a good time to find a new friend. Best wishes.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,973 times
MY sheltie went to the Bridge in April of '06. He was 16 and I still couldn't believe it had happened. The last five months of his life he was a triped and he really needed me. That time was so precious. I can hardly write this. However, after about five months, I started to feel less totally sad but more of just a sense of loss. I didn't feel quite "ready" but I adopted a little five year-old bichon and it gave me such joy. The loss was tempered by the fun and love the new guy gave. The "loss" started to ebb and became a bittersweet memory that rather than being overwhelming settled into "an always place" in my heart and memory. So I say when you feel it isn't painful to think about a new one, go for it. I also think having a completely different type helps keep the distinctions between them and helps bring a new persona into your life rather than a reminder. It helped me look to the present and future rather than the past. Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Lost my dachsie this past April. Not sure if we will get another as we are very busy now. Maybe in a year or two from now. She was the most awesome dog - everyone thought so - we can never replace her which is the hard thing I am trying to face. Another dog may be completely different than she was in personality. And we insist on good temperments out of our dogs as a #1 priority. We have had 2 dogs and both were awesome friendly personalities.

We do not want/need guard dogs, we want a companion.

We want to make sure it is the right fit. Our dog becomes a part of the family and we bring them nearly everywhere with us.

It will be another dachshund of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs