U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM

819 posts, read 2,997,088 times

Advertisements

Hey all - I need some reassurance that this does get better

I have a 11 week old husky puppy, Arwen, who hates when she is locked in her crate. She will go in it on her own during the day to get her toys or just to lay down, but the minute I have to shut her in it to go to work she has a fit.

I have read so many articles and talked to my friends, and they all say that the dog will learn to love the crate as it becomes their den, but I feel so bad leaving her in it and having her cry.

I have had her only for 1 week, Can anybody advise about how long it would take for her to get used to the crate? Also, the previous owner did no training at all with her.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,720,537 times
it WILL get better i promise.
dozer took almost 3 weeks to realy settle into his crate

since shes going in there on her own when its open your ALMOST there...
start simply, during the day walk past, close the door wait a second or 2 then open it again...no fuss, no words nothing...do this multiple times during the day. i also suggest feeding her in her crate with the door closed.
if you dont aready have one invest in a kong, fill it with her food then smear a BIG glob of peanut butter over the hole, when you have to leave her in the crate locked, give her the kong. (the peanut butter and the fact that "treats" will fall out randomly help keep her distracted)

and just continue being peristent, dont open that crate door untill shes quiet.
she will get there, just plenty of patients
in bad news husky in general can be quite talkative and stubborn so this might take a little longer than most, but your doing fine!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,074,115 times
Have patience....lots and lots and lots of it. I had a husky mix puppy a few years ago (sadly, she went with my ex when I kicked him out. Miss the dog a heck of a lot more than him) and we were able to successfully crate train her, but it took a while. I think it was almost a month before we got a good nights sleep? They're very vocal dogs anyway, so when she's unhappy, she's gonna let you know about it. It'll get better, I promise.

These are super smart dogs, who will learn pretty much anything you want them to....if you give them a good enough reason why they should bother lol. Teach by playing whenever you can. Make it a game! And when you can't make it into a game, make the reward awesome. The trick is to get them to think it's their idea, or that's how it worked for me anyway.
Enjoy your baby

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 PM

621 posts, read 3,023,424 times
It will get better! I have 3 huskies and I will say our first was the worst.

We got him when he was almost 4 months old. As soon as we put him in the crate and would walk away he would literally start "screaming". Night after night, he would cry like a baby, and I felt awful. We left the crate downstairs, then moved it up to the bedroom, but nothing helped, he still cried. It broke my heart. One night we let him out and when we put him back in, we must not have fastened it all the way, because some how he got out. I woke up at 4am with him sitting next to the bed, staring at me with such sad eyes lol. Ever since then he has slept in the bed. I was a new dog owner and gave in. Now I know this is not the best training story and definitely not an example of what to do, but he is fine now in his crate. I'm not sure how long it took, but eventually he got used to it, and has no problem in it. He goes in it when we leave and we have no issues.
As soon as I or my husband says "cages" they all go into their crates.

We do give them treats when we crate them, so the positive reinforcement helps. Our other two were fine from the beginning and they actually sleep in it when the door is open. The only thing is I can't leave bedding in it as they shred it and tear it up. But as he gets older he should get better. It's just getting them used to it. Huskies have a tendency to have separation anxiety when they are young, its tough, but you just have to work through it knowing it will get better. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM

819 posts, read 2,997,088 times
You guys give me hope -lol. She still crys & howls when she is in the crate. And it hasn't helped that my son lets her out when she is crying. So this is just reinforcing her bad behaviour. But now since yesterday she avoids the crate when I try to get her in it. I put treats, food, her Kong with PB. Before she would just run into it, now she won't go in. It takes me at least 10 minutes to get her in it now.
I feel so bad about it, but I know that she will learn to like it - I hope.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 14,702 times
Please help! We have a husky puppy and got her when she was 8 weeks old. We didn't have a crate upon bringing her home as we decided to get her spur of the moment and honestly don't know a whole lot about being dog owners. We began TRYING to crate training her about 1 week in. She cries and howls when she is in the crate no matter where we put the crate. I was told by a friend that you shouldn't take them out at night. We tried that and she makes herself sick and throws up in her crate. We have also tried taking her out of the crate for walks during the night when she cries. This isn't working either. Almost feels like it gets worse because she thinks that if she cries, she gets what she wants. PLEASE, PLEASE help.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,099,206 times
Crate training seems cruel to many people, but unless you have a dog that has virtually lived in a crate and rarely got let out (puppy mill dogs for one example), crating them is the easiest and safest way to train them.

Unless there is a REAL reason you don't want your dog in your bedroom, I suggest to people to move the crate to your bedroom. Dogs are pack animals and want to be near them, so they are happiest when they can see you.

They might cry for a bit, but eventually they will see you and smell you, and will settle down.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:10 AM

16,809 posts, read 10,277,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Crate training seems cruel to many people, but unless you have a dog that has virtually lived in a crate and rarely got let out (puppy mill dogs for one example), crating them is the easiest and safest way to train them.

Unless there is a REAL reason you don't want your dog in your bedroom, I suggest to people to move the crate to your bedroom. Dogs are pack animals and want to be near them, so they are happiest when they can see you.

They might cry for a bit, but eventually they will see you and smell you, and will settle down.

Good luck.
Exactly. The best way to crate train a dog is to put them in there and ignore them for a night or two. When she figures out you are not going to give in and that's the way it's going to be, that should stop the crying. The way it is now, she knows that if she howls enough, you are going to give in and let her have her way.

Just be sure you let her out often enough to potty, maybe every three hours or so. Ignoring her sounds cruel, but it's not. Dogs end up enjoying their crate. It's their special quiet place where they can get away from it all. However, it is important not to overuse the crate. Many owners end up making that mistake and use the crate as a substitue for exercise, supervision, or training. I'm concerned about when you said you got her on the spur of the moment. Are you really prepared to have a dog for the next 12 years plus? Before you make that huge, long term commitment, be sure you are ready to do so. If you truly aren't, it's best to rehome her sooner rather than later. I wish you luck!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,540,290 times
Kikopup aka Emily Larlham is a reputable trainer and an excellent resource with a whole library of FREE training videos on a full range of puppy and dog related topics; you can also search her Youtube channel to come up with various puppy related training videos.

Kikopup:
https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup/videos

Crate training tips for puppies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3VjwWuKlA

Crate training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzF0g0PwY4

Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 AM

2,755 posts, read 3,141,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather00 View Post
Please help! We have a husky puppy and got her when she was 8 weeks old. We didn't have a crate upon bringing her home as we decided to get her spur of the moment and honestly don't know a whole lot about being dog owners. We began TRYING to crate training her about 1 week in. She cries and howls when she is in the crate no matter where we put the crate. I was told by a friend that you shouldn't take them out at night. We tried that and she makes herself sick and throws up in her crate. We have also tried taking her out of the crate for walks during the night when she cries. This isn't working either. Almost feels like it gets worse because she thinks that if she cries, she gets what she wants. PLEASE, PLEASE help.
Follow these instructions exactly. Crate Training : The Humane Society of the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs