Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,277,568 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have a dog that likes to eat bugs? My dog Ninja seems to be obsessed with chasing, catching, and eating flies, moths, bees, crickets, and even stinkbugs.

She used to just eat them, but since being stung she tortures them by licking them and keeping them from flying away while crushing them with her paws. When they die, she licks them a few times to make sure that she will not get stung before scarfing them up.

My wife and I don't try to suppress this behavior because it really keeps her busy and she seems to love it. She will chase bees around the backyard for hours, and if a fly gets into the house she will wear herself out trying to get it. At night she is fascinated by the moths that are attracted to our porch light, and she howls because they stay out of her reach.

Bug eating-bug.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,038,200 times
I've had a few casualties from my girl. They are usually lizards, beetles, crickets, and a couple other bugs that I don't know what they are. I've had a few frogs in the yard, but she doesn't eat them, she just tends to roll on their dead carcasses, same with the lizards. The crickets she just mutilates. She always chases the squirrels, and so far hasn't caught any. And just recently started chasing birds in the yard. I think she mostly eats the beetles and other insects like that. It's gross. I'm constantly following her in the yard just to make sure she doesn't eat anything, but I'm never quick enough. Just this morning she was rolling on a dead frog.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:36 AM

7,880 posts, read 12,589,105 times
I have six dogs and yes, it is one of the things most of them do. The two elderly dogs don't do it anymore (one is blind in one eye and can't see well out of the other and the other dog is too lazy to try)

I have a LOT of carpenter bees (aka bumble bees) in the area and they just ASK to be eaten- they will hover around the dogs.

I think most dogs still have that "hunter instinct" in them and will try to kill anything they can. One exception (for my guys) is toads- for some reason they leave toads alone....

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,038,200 times
Don't forget to be careful of the toads. I know the ones I get in my yard (the bufo toads) are poisonous and can harm/kill a dog if the dog gets the venom. They're just starting to come around again. Last year my girl just barked and chased them, but who knows this year. I don't want an emergency visit.

Someone on a fb group page just had their dog in an emergency visit as it had an allergic reaction to something in the yard. She had puncture wounds at the back of her throat, which they believe were from a scorpion.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,118,135 times
We had a king Charles caviler that would catch fly's and hold them in his mouth.
You could hear them buzzing around in there.
Now and then one would crawl out and fly away.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,490,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Does anyone else have a dog that likes to eat bugs?
Bugs. Poop. Pencils.

Dogs live to smell things, eat things, and chase things -- not necessarily in any particular order.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
It's the prey drive. Perfectly normal.

My rescue Springer used to love to catch cicadas, hold their wings down on the deck, and eat the crunch center. In the summers when the cicadas were particularly active I would have to check his mouth at the door to make certain he didn't sneak one inside.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:52 PM

548 posts, read 1,032,716 times
My little Cricket (mini dachshund) loves to chase and eat bugs also. It is her favorite pastime when I take her out before bed. My Lady Bug could care less about bugs...but she loves dead things. Last week Bug found a dead rabbit carcass and rolled all over it then was carrying it around. When I tried to take it from her she became viscious. LOL!! I took it anyway and then gave her a bath.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,537,392 times
Oh the cicadas are so gross - my dog also will lose her mind to chase a fly in the house, it's hysterical. She is also able to dig up grubs - I need to get her involved in a canine nosework class.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
When my late Dash was young he was obsessed with bugs too. He was a border collieX springer spaniel so you can imagine how obsessed he was. The first time I boarded he and Jazz at this very nice family run kennel when I picked them up the owner said, That Jazz was a blast as she wanted to play all day but Dash well his name should be BUG BOY as all he wanted to do was watch and catch bugs! As he aged the obesssion did lessen some but due to it he got several bee stings that cost him a trip to the vets with his face swollen to 2X its normal size. Hope there are lots of bugs up there in heaven for ya Bug Boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs