Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 PM

272 posts, read 639,981 times

Advertisements

I picked up my chihuahua from MOD CUT today & noticed her ears were red & covered with little bumps inside of them (she did not have this before) - I asked the groomer, "Why her ears were like this & she told me - "Oh it's from plucking the hair out of her ears" So I ask "Why was this done & how?" She informs me it's part of every dog's regime when they are groomed at MOD CUT & most places. They put a powder in the dog's ear, then pull with the hair out with a tweezer- like tool. It's just so their ears look nicer she informs me.... At this point I was furious that I had not been told that they actually do this- I would have never allowed it I can't imagine how painful it must for dogs. The groomer informed me that I can request that this NOT be done from now on, but I also found out the dryers they use are not heated & I m sure that's why she's always sniffly when she gets out of there. Wanted to let you know in case liek me you were oblivious to this.

Last edited by linicx; 04-23-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
IT HAS to be done NOT for looks but for better air circulation! Keeping down ear infections. Powder has a numbing agent the actual plucking wont hurt.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IT HAS to be done NOT for looks but for better air circulation! Keeping down ear infections. Powder has a numbing agent the actual plucking wont hurt.
Yep, and very important if one has a dog with longer hair. Why is this surprising to some?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I've always done this myself for my Bichons between grooming sessions. There is nothing grosser than the smell and discomfort of a dog with ear infection from lack of air circulation.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I have a dog with a lot of hair in the ears and it IS painful but it HAS to be done.
I pluck a little here and there but I'd much rather have someone else do it so I'm not the "bad guy" and so grooming time isn't associated with ear plucking. The powder helps some and of course some dogs don't seem to mind it while others, like mine don't like it one bit.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Many years ago, I owned and operated a pet grooming salon, and can tell you that some breeds grow excess amounts of hair (particularly poodles, bichon, certain terriers, basically the 'groom-able' dogs) routinely have the hair plucked from the ear. If you chihuahua is the longer-haired variety, the ear may have needed cleaning out. Excess hair can trap dampness in the ear and lead to infection. Most smooth or medium coated dogs don't require plucking (German Shepherds, lab retrievers, or any of the smooth-haired dogs.

Many grooming shops (particularly the lower-priced franchise shops) resort to using cage drying. A towel-dried dog is put into a drying cage with heated air blowing in. Depending on many factors (dogs age, stress level, ventilation, etc) this could cause heat stroke in just a few minutes. There have been a number of dog (and cat!) deaths due to cage drying with heated air, and this is why some shops no longer use warm air drying. Not to slam any franchise, but with such low prices for grooming, it must be darn near impossible to make a living at grooming there unless you're grooming many dogs per day. Remember, most groomers only take home 50% of what you pay for the groom, with the shop retaining the other half. Tip your groomers well--they work hard for the $$!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:57 PM

272 posts, read 639,981 times
I wished she would have told me that. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
She informs me it's part of every dog's regime when they are groomed at MOD CUT & most places. They put a powder in the dog's ear, then pull with the hair out with a tweezer- like tool. It's just so their ears look nicer she informs me....
This is the part I have a problem with. This 'groomer' probably has had minimum training, since she doesn't seem to know the real reason for ear plucking. It should not be part of EVERY dog's regime. Seriously, consider a privately owned grooming shop rather than a franchise. You'll likely be amazed at the difference in customer service, knowledge, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,235 times
I have been working in the pet care field for more than 15 yrs now. Ear plucking is common for some breeds but not all. Your post said you have a chihuahua, this breed does not normally need the ears plucked.(Many breeds have hair in thier ears that should not be plucked. Without seeing your dog I can't say for sure, but it is possible that the ear hair should not have been plucked.) As for the drying, I'm not sure what area you are in but if you are in a hot climate, it is actually a good thing that they do not use heat when drying your pup. Dryers with heat where common years ago. However, many shops have done away with the use of dryers with heat, because of the risk associated with using heat. In cases where a cage dryer with heat is used heat stroke can occur causing death. When hand drying, heat can damage skin and coat, just like people's hair. All that being said the air coming out of the dryer is not cold, the motor that forces the air out, generates heat just from running which keeps the air at a comfortable temp. for your dog.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Gotta second what the above poster said about dryers, have heard of cases where dogs have died bc groomers left them under a hot dryer waaay too long - fortunately mine don't need extensive grooming but many dogs arent as lucky and I'd definitely prefer the dryers w/o heat (but in my case, enough air coming out to blow-dry the extra fine double-coated fur out and away from them bc even w/ routine brushing there can be quite a bit of shedding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs