Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,991,998 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

On Saturday, I picked up Walter, a two or three year old lab-hound rescue, about 65 pounds. Everything is going pretty well, but Walter isn't eating much.

I initially gave him IAMS, and he ate none of them. On Sunday I bought a bag of pedigree and he ate a little bit, but not much at all. I'm talking like 5-10 pieces of dog food.

On Monday I called the foster owner and asked what she had been feeding him. She was giving him Purina dog chow and also mentioned that Walter is not a big eater. So I went and got some purina dog chow and he ate about a handful Monday morning.

Since then he hasn't eaten any dog food, but he of course likes treats and begs for my food. So I know he's hungry.

Will his appetite come with time? I'm thinking this is an adjustment phase. I'm not about to start feeding him human food because then he will expect it. He has his first vet appointment tomorrow so I will bring it up with the vet, but I'm curious if others have had similar experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 01:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,469,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Hi all -

On Saturday, I picked up Walter, a two or three year old lab-hound rescue, about 65 pounds. Everything is going pretty well, but Walter isn't eating much.

I initially gave him IAMS, and he ate none of them. On Sunday I bought a bag of pedigree and he ate a little bit, but not much at all. I'm talking like 5-10 pieces of dog food.

On Monday I called the foster owner and asked what she had been feeding him. She was giving him Purina dog chow and also mentioned that Walter is not a big eater. So I went and got some purina dog chow and he ate about a handful Monday morning.

Since then he hasn't eaten any dog food, but he of course likes treats and begs for my food. So I know he's hungry.

Will his appetite come with time? I'm thinking this is an adjustment phase. I'm not about to start feeding him human food because then he will expect it. He has his first vet appointment tomorrow so I will bring it up with the vet, but I'm curious if others have had similar experiences.

Must be a Walter thing, our Walter hasn't eaten well all winter until yesterday. He was able to go out and run around like a big goon most of the day and he ate last night like there was no tomorrow.
Your Walter is in new surroundings which he needs to get used to and become comfortable with and he is a bit stressed because of the new surroundings, not you specifically just new to him. He will eat when he is hungry, just be sure to leave out his food and plenty of water along with plenty of exercise and he will adjust quickly and do great.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Must be a Walter thing, our Walter hasn't eaten well all winter until yesterday. He was able to go out and run around like a big goon most of the day and he ate last night like there was no tomorrow.
Your Walter is in new surroundings which he needs to get used to and become comfortable with and he is a bit stressed because of the new surroundings, not you specifically just new to him. He will eat when he is hungry, just be sure to leave out his food and plenty of water along with plenty of exercise and he will adjust quickly and do great.
I tend to agree with you. I'm so glad I got him. I gave up my beagle Ringo about 8 years ago because I felt I couldn't give him enough time. Walter is so much less maintenance than Ringo.

He's also scared of and/or unsure of the stairs in my house, but not the deck stairs. I'm guessing that will come with time and familiarity as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM

19,930 posts, read 12,224,370 times
First of all - congratulations on your new friend!! I'm surprised his foster did not tell you in advance what he was eating. That is a standard when adopting a dog to try to feed him the same thing at least in the beginning. Some dogs are not big eaters and others will eat anything you put down until they explode. I swear one of my Cavaliers used to swell up like she was pregnant after just 2-3 days at my mom's house. I know it is tempting to give him treats, etc. to get him to eat but that could develop bad habits.

Sometimes people put a small enticement on the top of kibble to get a dog to start eating. It's really up to you. My foster had to eat prescription kibble for a while which was quite unappetizing. I used to add some warm water and let it soak to soften the kibble which she would then eat. She never took to it and once I started cooking for her she couldn't wait to eat, lol.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree with you. I'm so glad I got him. I gave up my beagle Ringo about 8 years ago because I felt I couldn't give him enough time. Walter is so much less maintenance than Ringo.

He's also scared of and/or unsure of the stairs in my house, but not the deck stairs. I'm guessing that will come with time and familiarity as well.
It sounds like our Walters are related, it took ours 8 months to even walk close to the basement stairs and another 2 months to actually venture down them.
Is yours scared of the dark? Ours is and we have to go outside with him after dark or he refuses to go, during the day is not an issue and he is out most of the day when the weather is good.
He is an older boy now and when it is too damp or too cold he won't stay out long, he also hates getting wet and will not go out in the rain unless he absolutely has to and has only been in the water 2 times the entire time we have had him.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It sounds like our Walters are related, it took ours 8 months to even walk close to the basement stairs and another 2 months to actually venture down them.
Is yours scared of the dark? Ours is and we have to go outside with him after dark or he refuses to go, during the day is not an issue and he is out most of the day when the weather is good.
He is an older boy now and when it is too damp or too cold he won't stay out long, he also hates getting wet and will not go out in the rain unless he absolutely has to and has only been in the water 2 times the entire time we have had him.
That's funny, maybe I should change his name. God knows he doesn't answer to it yet, lol.

I don't think he's afraid of the dark and the rain, because we've been out at night and in the rain. But he i scared of *something*, so maybe it is the dark?

He did negotiate one set of inside stairs today, but couldn't make it up the second part to my second floor. So I think that will come along pretty quickly. I would be shocked if it took him 8 months to get them down. He's probably just tentative about them because there are no backs to the stairs and they look (and can be) slippery.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,365,616 times
Try mixing canned dog food with his dry food, just a small amount to make the dry food more appealing.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Try mixing canned dog food with his dry food, just a small amount to make the dry food more appealing.
I took your idea but browned some hamburger meat and mixed it in. Suddenly Walter ***LOVES*** IAMS, Purina Dog chow AND pedigree....

Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,371,722 times
Quote:
I took your idea but browned some hamburger meat and mixed it in. Suddenly Walter ***LOVES*** IAMS, Purina Dog chow AND pedigree....
Yes they always know when it's the human food lol.

Whatever food you are eventually moving him to start feeding him slowly to get him transitioned.

We just adopted a puppy last week, and my current 4 year old lab mix stopped eating. The puppy was trying to eat his food as well as her own.

Took separating them and getting tough with my lab mix to get him to eat again. All adjustments I assume.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
That's funny, maybe I should change his name. God knows he doesn't answer to it yet, lol.

I don't think he's afraid of the dark and the rain, because we've been out at night and in the rain. But he i scared of *something*, so maybe it is the dark?

He did negotiate one set of inside stairs today, but couldn't make it up the second part to my second floor. So I think that will come along pretty quickly. I would be shocked if it took him 8 months to get them down. He's probably just tentative about them because there are no backs to the stairs and they look (and can be) slippery.
Our Walter is 70 pounds worth of mush and grew up on the strees of East St Louis Illinois the first 3 years of his life so he was pretty timid at first and very clingy. He absolutely loves everyone, his favorite thing on the planet is little girls and really girls in general and girls with food is an absolute jackpot to him.

He is not timid any longer but still does not like the dark much and does not like the rain but will lay in fresh wet snow and eat his pig ear, go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs